GameThread: White Sox(26-31) vs Tigers(31-25)GAME 2 7:11 WCIU

Kyyle23

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
I know it's early, but Gordo doesn't have the bat speed I thought he would. Just saying, I am not doubt his ability or anything, but I thought it would be better than what we have seen.

He hasn't really tried to pull anything yet. He's not swinging and missing, which is very promising.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
Completely false. You are saying his lack of feel for his pitches was mental and not the huge layoff from rehabbing a career threatening injury? Seriously, sometimes I wonder where people get this stuff. I especially like the use of a statistic there pointing at something you have looked at subjectively.

You're discounting the fact that he doesn't have a 95-97 MPH fastball to work with anymore. That will give any pitcher a lot of confidence, just like when Bartolo was dominant....you could see it with Bonderman in the low 90's/high 80's instead of mid 90's.

Yes, a large part of it was/is mechanical when you come back from that kind of injury. You lose your consistent release point...and then when you jump around from different arm angles, it becomes that much more difficult to get a feel.

Jose just has to be more precise with location and not pitch from behind in the count. Easier said than done. Ahead in the count, dominant with the forkball as a strikeout pitch, as long as it's close to the zone and the hitters don't lay off it.

One of the things Jose hasn't done well since 2006 was knock hitters off the plate. When he misses inside, it's almost always center cut/inner half of the plate, not as much movement (backing up a bit). And he can't throw 90% fastballs from the side either. When he throws that slurve out and away, slicing across the other side of the plate on RH hitters, he's MUCH more effective because that gives them almost another pitch to think about, when he's basically a two and sometimes one pitch pitcher.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Wow, I'm likin this Contreras kid. Maybe he can be the long term answer at the back of the rotation. :P

Colon needs to just come out of the bullpen, he won't be successful in the rotation with one f***ing pitch and a mediocre pitch at that

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
Colon needs to just come out of the bullpen, he won't be successful in the rotation with one f***ing pitch and a mediocre pitch at that

And his next two starts would be against Milwaukee and the Cubs...two excellent fastball hitting teams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
Anderson really needs to learn to not hit the ball at very good defensive 3b.

Ugh. He hasn't given Ozzie any reason to play him over Wise with the bat lately. He could try doing us all a favor and getting some damned hits! The way it is going, Wise could stick around when TCQ comes back and Fields could go to Charlotte.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
He hasn't really tried to pull anything yet. He's not swinging and missing, which is very promising.

He's just in between a little bit, but he'll be fine.

There's just a huge difference between the swings and hand speed of a Ramirez/Beckham versus Anderson/Fields.

Alexei's swing got too big, but he has the hand speed to compensate. Josh and Brian do not...and Wise might as well go home.

Nix, of the other hitters, has the type of swing it SEEMS could be productive or dangerous.

If you followed him in the minors or ST, you'll know his natural swing is between the 2B and the bag, right up the RCF alley/gap. He'll be a doubles machine and give you 16-24 homers per season playing 81 games at USCF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)

I still think a DL trip could be in his future...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:19 AM)
Ugh. He hasn't given Ozzie any reason to play him over Wise with the bat lately. He could try doing us all a favor and getting some damned hits! The way it is going, Wise could stick around when TCQ comes back and Fields could go to Charlotte.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if KW was looking to get rid of all 3 of those guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Not a terrible swing by Beckham there. Hopefully he plays 3b tomorrow and Fields will DH.

I don't give a s*** if he's O-fer whatever. He still has a better approach than Fields 7 days a week. f*** Josh Fields.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
I don't give a s*** if he's O-fer whatever. He still has a better approach than Fields 7 days a week. f*** Josh Fields.

Josh's actually been hitting better as of late. I wouldn't be so pissed at him if he knew how to field a routine grounder. Gordon's had some bad at bats so far. He's way too anxious up there.