Ozzie blasts team after game

Wanne

Seems to me Ozzie is so comfortable in Chicago, where he played so long, so comfy with the Chicago writers that he blasts away and pretty much runs his mouth like a madman.

If he was a manager in another town, I don't think he'd do it nor would he get away with it.

That said, just produce and you won't get ripped.

Beckham predictably goes ohfer for 3 games. Oz is human. Oz gets pissed.

It's human nature to love the unknown and Beckham is the unknown god to the fans. Right now.

Obviously he could go one for 100 and still be loved this year, but at some point he's gonna have to produce. He'll probably have a Ventura-like start, then a Ventura-like career.

I don't see anything wrong in Oz ripping him a bit, though.

When he finally gets fired here or retires, Oz will manage again and he'll be a lot calmer. His act won't play where he's not as well known/loved.

Edited by greg775

Just compare the way Ozzie talks about Wise not producing and Beckham not producing in his first 4 games. It's beyond ridiculous. Ozzie is a f***in nut job. Whether you like Ozzie or not, it's a scary thought to have him managing some of these young guys with in the next few years.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
Ozzie meet Robin Ventura, your old teammate. He turned out fine. Take the advice you gave us about Wise's ABs.

Didn't even see your post when I posted mine. That's exactly what I thought of, he'll stick up for Wise who has no f***in talent. But the best prospect this organization has had in years, must produce in his first 4 games otherwise he's just a hype machine. You're awesome, Ozzie. :chair

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
Ozzie trys to marginalize Beckham again. "''You guys [the media] do a pretty good PR department for Beckham,'' Guillen said. ''I've been in Chicago for 17 years, playing and coaching. Has anybody been 0-for-whatever he is, he hasn't got booed yet? He hit a ground ball to second base and got a standing ovation from the fans [the other day]. Somebody hit a ground ball right at him, and he got another standing ovation. Good job, guys. Keep it up. I hope he sells a lot of shirts, but I need production.''

I'm starting to feel very uncomfortable with Ozzie managing the next generation of White Sox players.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt10.article

Someone should tell Ozzie they took his advice about Wise and instead of cheering Beckham for fielding a routine grounder and grounding out to second, the fans were cheering Ozzie for giving him the opportunity to do so. I think he'd really like that.

There definitely is tension with the White Sox and not just the players but from Ozzie on up. I think Ozzie realizes the crap KW gave him this year ie Lillibridge, Fields and KW realizes how Ozzie missed on his talent evaluations ie Wise, so guys like Beckham are being called up without any consultation with the manager. Corky Miller getting released when Ozzie loved him.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Quentin comes back, I think they will be in it as the AL Central is pitiful, but if they fall out of it relatively quickly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shocker or two.

Has anyone noticed Hawk starting to take some indirect jabs at Ozzie? Just last night, he talked about the wheel play, something he ripped Manuel about disbanding after he was gone, saying the Sox never use it. He sort of ripped him for not going after Granderson and letting Polanco drive in runs. Ozzie didn't argue the play at the plate in the 9th. If the Sox ever do have a new manager that Hawk is in love with, he might mention Ozzie didn't even argue, something he ripped Manuel of before. Of course, after he was long gone.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 06:04 AM)
yeah, it's unecessary. Hopefully JR talks to him about it because I don't think KW would work.

I'll make a wild prediction that Ozzie "retires" after this season

Some of us can only hope.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
yup, worst sox manager of all time.
No, not the worst but certainly not the best either. Look I realize if you call out Ozzie or KW then some folks will send the hounds out after you. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but in Ozzie's case it would be better for both parties if it were to end.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
yup, worst sox manager of all time. hasnt done shi* in his tenure here. he has so many great players and cant win this year! ...

He's just like every other manager, if you have good players you're good. If you have bad players, you haven't a clue. I really wonder how much difference managers make in wins and losses. What would the Sox record be if the greatest manager of all time and the greatest hitting coach of all time were here? Would it be any different? I think if it was it wouldn't be much. Its time to upgrade the talent. The owner will look smarter. The GM will look smarter, his manager will look smarter as will all the coaches.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I really wonder how much difference managers make in wins and losses.
Really good managers can steal you a few wins in a season. A manager does need talent, that's obvious. Look at Casey Stengel with the Yanks and then with the Mets. Still, a manager can say and do things that are counterproductive and Ozzie is doing just that now. Plus Ozzie was never a good game day manager.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
Just compare the way Ozzie talks about Wise not producing and Beckham not producing in his first 4 games. It's beyond ridiculous. Ozzie is a f***in nut job. Whether you like Ozzie or not, it's a scary thought to have him managing some of these young guys with in the next few years.

I would be more than surprised if Ozzie's "ridiculousness" was nothing more than him feeling Wise is being unfairly villified by the fans and the fans love affair with Beckham is unwarranted. Think about it. In the Wise thread a lot of people have the opinion it's not fair to boo Wise as he's being as to do more than he is capable of. Then you have Gordo, who has yet to prove anything on the major league level. Now Ozzie is not a dumbass fan. He knows that there has been many hyped prospects fall well short of being productive major leaguers. Think Joe Borchard. So Ozzie tries to take the heat off of Wise and reign in the undeserved adulation Gordo's receiving. In fact, that knob slobbing the fans are doing on Beckham may very well lead to him failing if he lets expectations turn into pressure. There are some dumbass fans that need to lighten up on both accounts, and Rowand44 I'm not pointing at you. It's a general expression of my opinion and not directed at any individual. Now if any you think the shoe happens to fit, then by all means, wear it.

Chemistry is very important for a team to have, especially in such a long season as we have. A player-player or player-manager feud can really drain a team's energy or focus. Thus, a good manager can help the team stay focused, loose, yet aggresive while putting the right player in the right position, basically giving the team hte best chance to succeed. It is then up to the players to perform in those positions.

A bad manager can lose his team's faith or focus, and instead of devoting their time to scouting or film the players may be spending their time arguing with who should be playing or some fued between the manager and player. The team can get tense, lackadaisical, etc. and really hurt the team's ability to win.

Ozzie was great in 2005 because the player's performed in the positions given (atleast most of them, especially the starters and the bullpen). When the team got unfocused towards the end Ozzie was able to get them back on the right track and not have them combust like they were looking too.

Ozzie now is setting himself up for failure by playing his favorites who are not performing and thus making his decisions look bad not only to fans, but to management and players alike. His team isnt just worried about winning now, they are worried about who is going to be in the lineup, who is going to get called down, who is coming up, who is losing playing time, what the other players are doing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
He's just like every other manager, if you have good players you're good. If you have bad players, you haven't a clue. I really wonder how much difference managers make in wins and losses. What would the Sox record be if the greatest manager of all time and the greatest hitting coach of all time were here? Would it be any different? I think if it was it wouldn't be much. Its time to upgrade the talent. The owner will look smarter. The GM will look smarter, his manager will look smarter as will all the coaches.

yup. torre, piniella,baker, everyone says how great they r. but when u dont give them talent,they have shown they cant win. i just dont like how everyone wants to blame ozzie for everything. like the other day,alexei couldnt bunt. everyone was saying ozzie was an idiot. had he bunted and the run would of scored,no one would say that. im just saying, its up to the players.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Chemistry is very important for a team to have, especially in such a long season as we have. A player-player or player-manager feud can really drain a team's energy or focus. Thus, a good manager can help the team stay focused, loose, yet aggresive while putting the right player in the right position, basically giving the team hte best chance to succeed. It is then up to the players to perform in those positions.

A bad manager can lose his team's faith or focus, and instead of devoting their time to scouting or film the players may be spending their time arguing with who should be playing or some fued between the manager and player. The team can get tense, lackadaisical, etc. and really hurt the team's ability to win.

Ozzie was great in 2005 because the player's performed in the positions given (atleast most of them, especially the starters and the bullpen). When the team got unfocused towards the end Ozzie was able to get them back on the right track and not have them combust like they were looking too.

Ozzie now is setting himself up for failure by playing his favorites who are not performing and thus making his decisions look bad not only to fans, but to management and players alike. His team isnt just worried about winning now, they are worried about who is going to be in the lineup, who is going to get called down, who is coming up, who is losing playing time, what the other players are doing.

I can often count on someone here making my points better than I can myself. Excellent post.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)

chemistry works in different ways, the NYY in the 70's weren't too fond of Reggie and the Oakland A's in the 70's got into fistfights... talent and winning overcomes a lot of chemistry issues

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
chemistry works in different ways, the NYY in the 70's weren't too fond of Reggie and the Oakland A's in the 70's got into fistfights... talent and winning overcomes a lot of chemistry issues

True, but when you dont have a team that dominates in terms of talent (such as the White Sox, and usually the vast majority of MLB) then chemistry is vital for a team. Winning makes chemistry come much easier, no doubt about that. Few can complain about a team enjoying success.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention, another big key to chemistry is whether the team is buying into the coach's gameplan or style, or the coach adjusts to the players' abilities. Example, the team is loaded with HR hitters, but the coach insists on playing small ball, that can cause some friction if the players dont buy into it or the coach doesnt change his style for that team. Im not saying the coach has to love the style, but he has to maximize the abililty of the players given to him.

Twins are one team where the coach and management agree on a philosophy and style (or so it seems) and they bring in players who are talented and can fit the system. They dont have the most talent, they have some great talent in Mauer and Morneau, but they fill the team with guys who fit well into their system. These guys believe in the coach and the chemistry just forms because of that. Maybe it is because I dont read the Minnesota newspapers, or they dont get alot of coverage here, but I dont recall too many chemistry issues surrounding their team in the media, a good sign that whatever problems they have personnel wise is taken care of early so that they can focus on winning.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
I would be more than surprised if Ozzie's "ridiculousness" was nothing more than him feeling Wise is being unfairly villified by the fans and the fans love affair with Beckham is unwarranted. Think about it. In the Wise thread a lot of people have the opinion it's not fair to boo Wise as he's being as to do more than he is capable of. Then you have Gordo, who has yet to prove anything on the major league level. Now Ozzie is not a dumbass fan. He knows that there has been many hyped prospects fall well short of being productive major leaguers. Think Joe Borchard. So Ozzie tries to take the heat off of Wise and reign in the undeserved adulation Gordo's receiving. In fact, that knob slobbing the fans are doing on Beckham may very well lead to him failing if he lets expectations turn into pressure. There are some dumbass fans that need to lighten up on both accounts, and Rowand44 I'm not pointing at you. It's a general expression of my opinion and not directed at any individual. Now if any you think the shoe happens to fit, then by all means, wear it.

Great post. I am glad that others see the big picture behind Ozzie's madness. I swear that Oz is trying to prevent another Brian Anderson from happening with Beckham. I keep hearing lots of the same catch words about how cocky and confident Becks is. No one in the organization is going to come out and say he is an arrogant prick yet, so you kind of have to read their statements a little closer. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it sure sounds the same to me.

With Wise Ozzie is a guy who protects his team from the media and fans for the most part. It's like being the big brother who beats up his little brother. It is OK for you to do it, but if someone else takes a swing at him, you kick their ass. That is Ozzie for you.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)

The thing with Chemistry is that no one knows what is going on in the clubhouse. The guys who are playing could very well be the guys that their teammates want to see out there. We are just assuming based on statistics who they are.