White Sox sign Freddy Garcia.

justBLAZE

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
The gang's back together.

Now all we need is Rowand, Everett, and one of the Alomar brothers, and it'll be good ole White Sox baseball all over again!

Since Robbie supposedly has AIDS now, that would have to be Sandy.

If it's a minor-league deal, it's probably for next-to-nothing. At the very least, throwing a bone to a former player who clinched a WS for your organization is a nice gesture. My guess is that Freddy never makes it out of the minors and retires this winter.

Let the conniptions begin!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,6137418.story

As an insurance policy, the Sox signed 2005 World Series hero Freddy Garcia to a minor league contract.

Garcia, 33, passed a physical examination Monday in Chicago and was headed to Glendale, Ariz., to get his right shoulder in pitching shape.

In front of scouts from at least eight teams, Contreras' outing tempered much of the frustration stemming from the first-game loss. He retired 22 of 23 batters after allowing a double to Clete Thomas with two out in the first.

"We had terrible at-bats against them," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, disappointed that his hitters didn't challenge Contreras. "Weak swings. A pathetic, pathetic offensive effort."

Contreras was staked to a 4-0 lead after three innings on home runs from Alexei Ramirez, Scott Podsednik and Jim Thome.

But pitching remains the Sox's main thrust. Garcia was released by the New York Mets' organization after only two starts at Triple-A Buffalo in April.

Garcia has won 118 games in 10 seasons, including a 40-21 record from 2004 to '06 with the Sox in addition to winning the fourth and deciding game of the 2005 World Series.

"We're going to monitor him well," Guillen said. "We think he can still pitch."

"We're going to monitor him well," Guillen said. "We think he can still pitch."

that's the problem. Ozzie loves the guy, and always has his favorites whom he gives a shot regardless of whether they deserve it. If Garcia pitches with a mid-4s ERA in the minors, I guarantee he comes up to the big club to get shelled as soon as the Count falls back to earth.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
that's the problem. Ozzie loves the guy, and always has his favorites whom he gives a shot regardless of whether they deserve it. If Garcia pitches with a mid-4s ERA in the minors, I guarantee he comes up to the big club to get shelled as soon as the Count falls back to earth.

Its all about his velocity. If he can work back into the low 90's he can be effective at the major league level. If he stays in the mid 80's, there is no chance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Its all about his velocity. If he can work back into the low 90's he can be effective at the major league level. If he stays in the mid 80's, there is no chance.

Hasn't he been in the mid 80s since 2006? It's not coming back.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
guns must have been juiced in game 162

wasnt that 162? IIRC they finished out the season with Cleveland-Detroit-Minnesota

ha you edited already

Edited by kyyle23

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4242152

Updated: June 8, 2009, 6:38 PM ET

White Sox add Contreras, Garcia

Comment Email Print Share

ESPNChicago.com

The slumping Chicago White Sox made a couple of moves to shore up their pitching staff.

The team announced that it had called up right-hander Jose Contreras from Triple-A Charlotte to start in the second game of a doubleheader against the Detroit Tigers on Monday night.

The White Sox also signed right-hander Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

To make room on the roster for Contreras, the team sent left-hander Wes Whisler down to Charlotte.

Contreras went 3-1 with a 2.70 ERA and one shutout in five starts with Charlotte after being optioned on May 10. He allowed 19 hits, walked 16 batters and struck out 27.

Contreras made his season debut on April 10 against Minnesota, just 242 days after surgery to repair a ruptured left Achilles tendon. Contreras has gone 0-5 with a 8.19 ERA in six starts with the White Sox this season, allowing 40 hits with 16 walks and 17 strikeouts.

Garcia has been battling shoulder problems for the past two years. He was released by the New York Mets in April after making two rehabilitation starts in Buffalo.

He had surgery on his throwing shoulder in August 2007 and made only 14 starts the previous two seasons with Philadelphia and Detroit. For his career, he is 118-77 with a 4.07 ERA. He made two All-Star teams.

After his contract was purchased from Charlotte on May 30, Whisler made three relief appearances with the White Sox. According to the news release, he allowed two runs. He is 5-3 with a 2.81 ERA in 10 starts with Charlotte this season.

Not sure if this has been posted already. I guess KW is bringing the band back together again.

Man, the only thing more annoying than people who b**** about everything is people who b**** about people who b**** about everything. Or people who come up with the same arguments repeatedly against the people who b**** about everything. Or people who b**** about people who come up with the same arguments repeatedly against the people who b**** about everything.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Man, the only thing more annoying than people who b**** about everything is people who b**** about people who b**** about everything. Or people who come up with the same arguments repeatedly against the people who b**** about everything. Or people who b**** about people who come up with the same arguments repeatedly against the people who b**** about everything.

And then there's the person that b****es about all of the above.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
apparently the washed IN Cuban players arent desirable

You love me! Don't you!

Washed out player can be of any origin, race, religion, geographical area or nationality. Man, drop it! Let it go!

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
You love me! Don't you!

Washed out player can be of any origin, race, religion, geographical area or nationality. Man, drop it! Let it go!

Oh the irony

Guess who just got back today?

Them wild-eyed boys that had been away

Haven't changed, haven't much to say

But man, I still think them cats are crazy

They were asking if you were around

How you was, where you could be found

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:19 AM)
I sometimes get the feeling around here that people wish Player X (let's use Pods as the example here), would fail miserably, just so they can say, "I told you so!$#@#$!$#", regardless of the affect it has on the team.

I've been around this website for quite a few years -- before the influx of "talent" in 2005 =D, and I have to say that there was a time when criticism was much more constructive around here, compared to now where it doesn't matter what the Sox do, it sucks...and if it turns out to be ok, we get 50 stupid f***ing posts about eating crow.

How about eating s***, instead. :P (This wasn't directed at you, either.)

As evidenced by the Admin post at the top of the site, I think alot of people have noticed this. This site at times has become more of a site for negativity than for actual fans of the baseball team. There are people who take great joy in the failures of the team, because it gives them a chance to be critical of the management, or the players, or the ownership, or whatever it is that they dont like that particular day. Its exactly the reason that losing or critical threads are so much longer than the threads dedicated to success. I remember a few years ago when Soxtalk was a ghost town after losses because people were so down because the team we love didnt come through that day. Nowadays losses bring many more people out of the woodwork, and success is something that is just glanced at. It's sad really, at least to me. I came to this site to share my ideas, emotions, and time with folks who loved the White Sox as much if not more than I did. I hope someday it gets back to that point, because it was truly fun for most of us to share in our day to day emotions over the team, but always having the common goal of watching the Sox succeed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
As evidenced by the Admin post at the top of the site, I think alot of people have noticed this. This site at times has become more of a site for negativity than for actual fans of the baseball team. There are people who take great joy in the failures of the team, because it gives them a chance to be critical of the management, or the players, or the ownership, or whatever it is that they dont like that particular day. Its exactly the reason that losing or critical threads are so much longer than the threads dedicated to success. I remember a few years ago when Soxtalk was a ghost town after losses because people were so down because the team we love didnt come through that day. Nowadays losses bring many more people out of the woodwork, and success is something that is just glanced at. It's sad really, at least to me. I came to this site to share my ideas, emotions, and time with folks who loved the White Sox as much if not more than I did. I hope someday it gets back to that point, because it was truly fun for most of us to share in our day to day emotions over the team, but always having the common goal of watching the Sox succeed.

Not all of us are sad sacks who take joy in the failings of the team.

Hang in there Rock. You aren't alone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
I remember a few years ago when Soxtalk was a ghost town after losses because people were so down because the team we love didnt come through that day. Nowadays losses bring many more people out of the woodwork, and success is something that is just glanced at.

oh the good ole days

Intellectually soxtalk has gone way downhill. I want to voice my opinion, but to be frank, practically everything i read currently is garbage. I find no point in taking my time to voice my opinion just to have it skipped over because people would rather b**** and moan due to their personal lives sucking. Well guess what? So does mine. I'm personally not gonna take it out on hundreds of random people, because i have enough sense to know they could care less. You should too.

I'm not sure if soxtalk will ever recover, which pisses me off like no other. Soxtalk is not my homepage because i hate it, just some of the people that reside here. I didn't leave for as long as i did because i wanted to be gone, i was forced.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Intellectually soxtalk has gone way downhill. I want to voice my opinion, but to be frank, practically everything i read currently is garbage. I find no point in taking my time to voice my opinion just to have it skipped over because people would rather b**** and moan due to their personal lives sucking. Well guess what? So does mine. I'm personally not gonna take it out on hundreds of random people, because i have enough sense to know they could care less. You should too.

I'm not sure if soxtalk will ever recover, which pisses me off like no other. Soxtalk is not my homepage because i hate it, just some of the people that reside here. I didn't leave for as long as i did because i wanted to be gone, i was forced.

Since I'm relatively new here (didn't start posting until the offseason before this one), having you pop up is like having a great poster appear out of nowhere.