Josh Fields questions future with White Sox

chisox2334

Even after a sit-down meeting with manager Ozzie Guillen, third baseman Josh Fields still wants answers from the White Sox organization — not only answers about his future, but also about what he felt was bad timing by the club in calling up highly touted prospect Gordon Beckham to play at his position.

Fields called the situation ‘‘awkward.’’

» Click to enlarge image

White Sox third baseman Josh Field still wants answers from the organization about his future.

(Chris Sweda/Sun-Times)

RELATED STORIES

Guillen sounds off after Tigers beat White Sox, 5-4

‘‘As a player you go through a thing where you kind of have people that have confidence in you — your front office and your manager having confidence in you — and I really don’t know this situation,’’ said Fields, who entered Monday hitting .242 with three home runs and 21 RBI. ‘‘It’s been weird. Ozzie sat me down the other day and tried to go through it a little bit, but it’s kind of hard to swallow. If I was still at .212 like I was for a while, it would be easier, but pulling my average up and the team getting into second place, it just kind of came surprising, I guess.

“I asked [Guillen] a couple of questions, but I have more questions for [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and I haven’t been able to actually sit down and talk to him. I know the draft is coming up and stuff, but we’ll get to sit down here before long and we’ll get to ask all of the questions that I need to.’’

Asked if he was frustrated about the timing of the Beckham call-up, Fields responded, “I think so.’’

‘‘Obviously, they have their reasons,’’ Fields said. ‘‘I’m just an employee, so I don’t make decisions. But you can always look at things and say ‘Why this, why that?’ We’re struggling now and I think everyone knows that, that’s the truth. As a team and individually, we were really struggling, but to then come back to within [3œ] games ... I mean, I would kind of consider this a big change, not just a small tweak. To be doing pretty well as a team at that time and then to make a big change, it’s still kind of a question that I’ll have to ask.’’

Fields isn’t even sure he will like the answer, but at least he’ll have one that eases his mind. All he is hoping for is that something gives. Whether that means him being traded or some other piece of the team being moved, that remained unclear for Fields, 26, who was in the starting lineup for the first game of Monday’s doubleheader vs. Detroit.

‘‘Right now it’s kind of sit and see how it plays out,’’ Fields said. ‘‘I’ve been getting in there and playing some third, I played the DH the other day, so it’s not like I’ve sat a whole bunch of games, Ozzie is still playing me. But it’s kind of an awkward situation for everyone. Not only myself, but teammates as well. You don’t want that to happen.

‘‘I think something will happen pretty soon, whether it’s something like them getting rid of me or something like that for someone else that can possibly help the team. You never know. I don’t think it will stay awkward for too much longer. They’ve won too long and know how to win, and they’ll figure something out.’’

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
Even after a sit-down meeting with manager Ozzie Guillen, third baseman Josh Fields still wants answers from the White Sox organization — not only answers about his future, but also about what he felt was bad timing by the club in calling up highly touted prospect Gordon Beckham to play at his position.

Fields called the situation ‘‘awkward.’’

» Click to enlarge image

White Sox third baseman Josh Field still wants answers from the organization about his future.

(Chris Sweda/Sun-Times)

RELATED STORIES

Guillen sounds off after Tigers beat White Sox, 5-4

‘‘As a player you go through a thing where you kind of have people that have confidence in you — your front office and your manager having confidence in you — and I really don’t know this situation,’’ said Fields, who entered Monday hitting .242 with three home runs and 21 RBI. ‘‘It’s been weird. Ozzie sat me down the other day and tried to go through it a little bit, but it’s kind of hard to swallow. If I was still at .212 like I was for a while, it would be easier, but pulling my average up and the team getting into second place, it just kind of came surprising, I guess.

“I asked [Guillen] a couple of questions, but I have more questions for [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and I haven’t been able to actually sit down and talk to him. I know the draft is coming up and stuff, but we’ll get to sit down here before long and we’ll get to ask all of the questions that I need to.’’

Asked if he was frustrated about the timing of the Beckham call-up, Fields responded, “I think so.’’

‘‘Obviously, they have their reasons,’’ Fields said. ‘‘I’m just an employee, so I don’t make decisions. But you can always look at things and say ‘Why this, why that?’ We’re struggling now and I think everyone knows that, that’s the truth. As a team and individually, we were really struggling, but to then come back to within [3œ] games ... I mean, I would kind of consider this a big change, not just a small tweak. To be doing pretty well as a team at that time and then to make a big change, it’s still kind of a question that I’ll have to ask.’’

Fields isn’t even sure he will like the answer, but at least he’ll have one that eases his mind. All he is hoping for is that something gives. Whether that means him being traded or some other piece of the team being moved, that remained unclear for Fields, 26, who was in the starting lineup for the first game of Monday’s doubleheader vs. Detroit.

‘‘Right now it’s kind of sit and see how it plays out,’’ Fields said. ‘‘I’ve been getting in there and playing some third, I played the DH the other day, so it’s not like I’ve sat a whole bunch of games, Ozzie is still playing me. But it’s kind of an awkward situation for everyone. Not only myself, but teammates as well. You don’t want that to happen.

‘‘I think something will happen pretty soon, whether it’s something like them getting rid of me or something like that for someone else that can possibly help the team. You never know. I don’t think it will stay awkward for too much longer. They’ve won too long and know how to win, and they’ll figure something out.’’

Poor "I'm not hitting .212 anymore, I'm hitting .238 thank you with 3 long ones, and some day I may learn how to play defense"

josh. Get him the hell out of town.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
It used to be you actually had to accomplish something to question losing your job. Josh is still getting AB. A lot more than he would on most teams. Either learn to layoff balls you cannot hit or find something else to do.

The problem is that the balls which Josh cannot hit are letter-high, medium-speed fastballs. I'd say that greatly limits his potential.

Maybe you should actually prove something before you question management. Also, Josh, maybe you should learn how to play the game of baseball. Get your s*** together, we don't need you crying about how you've raised your average from an abysmal .212 to a slightly less abysmal .238 and still not be handed the starting 3B job. Hey Josh, the season is 1/3 over, and you haven't proven s***. Stop acting like it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
He's a mental midget. I don't think he ever fully recovered from not making the team in 2008.

When did he think about giving up baseball again? Didn't he consider giving it up after his surprising 2007 season, but before ST in 08 (before he had any indication that Crede was gonna stay on as the 3B).

f*** off, Josh Fields. You stated you thought about quitting baseball like 3 years ago or some s***. Go grab a Bible and enjoy the construction work.

If you didn't want Beckham up here, you should have gotten a few more hits.

Edited by Steve9347

The guy is an athlete mascaraing as a baseball player. It's obvious he has no clue. Yeah Josh, one decent week after 2 months of complete suck is really gonna make the white sox wanna give you a huge contract extension and secruity at the 3B spot for the next 10 years.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Dear Josh,

Clean out your vagina and hope Ozzie lets your ass DH against LHP.

Love,

Greedy

I was thinking he should pick up his ovaries and learn how to field a damn ball....not to mention learn to f***ing hit....

i agree with him.The timing was horrible to call up Beckham. The team,and Fields, was winning, playing decent and had just gotten back into it.Since the callup they have stunk.What has Beckham done, or shown, to deserve to play everyday? Beckham will probably turn out to be the better player but there was no need for him to be called up when he was. I would have agreed with the callup if it was for Beckham to play SS and Alexei to CF. That would be their best offensive lineup. Fields had just raised his BA 30+points after going through a 5 for 40+drought. Every young player goes through that. Beckham is on his way to 5 for 40+ start.I'm sure nobody will be writing him off if he does that. Why do it with Fields?

Someone please tell him that when he dumps the Cecil Fielder like wind up in his swing like he is going to crush ever ball out of the park then he can speak. Until then he is simply a poor defender, pull happy, occasional homer hitting, low batting avg, below average Major league baseball player. PERIOD!!

I would have demoted Getz when Beckham came up to make it clearer what roles each guy has. Fields at 3B, Beckham at 2B, Nix as backup. I would have done that because I think there's an outside chance for Fields, whereas I just can't fathom Chris Getz being anything other than deadweight on the offense.

But with Fields whining, I'd say he's likely gone first. The Sox won't be better for it, but I can see why they would do it.

Really, though, at this point I'd just as soon dump Getz too and bring up Viciedo to play 3B.

Then we need to do something about CF. I guess Pods will hold it down when Quentin returns, and Wise will be dumped.

The sooner we see Wise, Getz, and Fields out of there, the better. We won't likely start winning, but we'll at least see most of the future infield of the White Sox.