Josh Fields questions future with White Sox

chisox2334

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
I don't see any issue with anything Josh said. He's right. He was bad, but had improved noticeably, then got replaced while he was improving. The promotion of Beckham was done at the wrong time, for both Josh/Gordon AND for the team, I agree with Josh on that.

I honestly think people's vitriol on here, about him being a mental midget (which looks to me to be far from the truth), and all that ridiculousness, is mostly due to his error yesterday potentially costing the game. Fields' fielding has indeed been a disappointment, no one could say otherwise. But the presence of Beckham on the team will only make Beckham, Fields and Getz WORSE in the short run. Now that he's here, I hope KW has the sense to make another move to let 2 of those 3 guys know who really has a starting job. Otherwise, this little experiment will continue to be a disaster.

I would say Fields' D has not been a disappointment because I expected much, much worse. It's his lack of power that gets me. The K's and the low batting average (and low OBP as a result) are not surprising.

What are the odds that at least 1 of Getz/Fields, or possibly 2 of Getz/Nix/Fields are gone 3 weeks from now? I'd have to guess probably 50% or higher. Beckham needs a place to call home and get comfortable, and I can't see the Sox sending Fields or Getz down at this stage of their careers.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
I don't see any issue with anything Josh said. He's right. He was bad, but had improved noticeably, then got replaced while he was improving. The promotion of Beckham was done at the wrong time, for both Josh/Gordon AND for the team, I agree with Josh on that.

I honestly think people's vitriol on here, about him being a mental midget (which looks to me to be far from the truth), and all that ridiculousness, is mostly due to his error yesterday potentially costing the game. Fields' fielding has indeed been a disappointment, no one could say otherwise. But the presence of Beckham on the team will only make Beckham, Fields and Getz WORSE in the short run. Now that he's here, I hope KW has the sense to make another move to let 2 of those 3 guys know who really has a starting job. Otherwise, this little experiment will continue to be a disaster.

Poor defenders with 3 homers and 60 strikeouts hitting .238 really shouldn't be saying anything about playing time. He's still getting it. He wouldn't on most teams.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Poor defenders with 3 homers and 60 strikeouts hitting .238 really shouldn't be saying anything about playing time. He's still getting it. He wouldn't on most teams.

Yep, between that, the retirement nonsense from 2007, and his poor attitude in AAA last season, those are some of the reasons I called him a mental midget.

What's funny is since Beckham has been recalled, Fields has DH'd a couple of times, taking playing time away from Jim Thome, also a guy who has raised his average recently and hit some over the wall. Not a peep out of Thome, a guy who at 38 is probably better than Fields will ever be. Maybe Josh should try to learn from some excellent examples the Sox have standing around. If he has questions that's fine. Airing them through the media is wrong.

I wonder what is going on in Ozzie's mind. Fields talks to him but apparently doesn't like the answer so he's going to KW. I don't see this rubbing Ozzie anything but the wrong way. He's pretty sensitive to anything that can remotely be considered a slight.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
What are the odds that at least 1 of Getz/Fields, or possibly 2 of Getz/Nix/Fields are gone 3 weeks from now? I'd have to guess probably 50% or higher. Beckham needs a place to call home and get comfortable, and I can't see the Sox sending Fields or Getz down at this stage of their careers.

90%.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
Jim Thome should indeed be the team leader. He's a big dude with the big head.

Kick some ass, Jimmy.

Why is he so silent since he's been a Sox.

He oughta kick some butt in that clubhouse.

LOL

Fields needs a new team. He will never succeed in Chicago. With Carlos coming back, Beckham brought up, it just doesn't make much sense for him to stay. And honestly, I value Getz over Fields because at least Getz can play subpar defense and is a solid baserunner. Fields CANT field, hit for average, or have the ability to not strike out. Lets see what we have the rest of the year with Beckham and Getz and assess the direction this team takes after the 09 season.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
. And honestly, I value Getz over Fields because at least Getz can play subpar defense

I've never been a fan of Fields, but give him a little credit. He definitely can play subpar defense.

Edited by Dick Allen

As far as Josh Fields wanting some more answers from the organization about his future?

"Oh, you better be careful for what you say and what you wish,'' Guillen said. "It's not my fault that we brought [Gordon] Beckham here. If [general manager] Kenny [Williams] brought Beckham here, it's because Josh Fields was not doing his job. Am I wrong? If you were playing good, I don't think we should have to do that, but I don't think he was playing the way we think he can play. Right now, we're going to give the kid [beckham] the shot, but I don't call people up, I don't do anything with the minor leagues. He was not doing what he was supposed to do and that's why they called Beckham up. Kenny didn't tell me anything about that.''

theres ur answers josh from ozzie in cowleys peice

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
As far as Josh Fields wanting some more answers from the organization about his future?

"Oh, you better be careful for what you say and what you wish,'' Guillen said. "It's not my fault that we brought [Gordon] Beckham here. If [general manager] Kenny [Williams] brought Beckham here, it's because Josh Fields was not doing his job. Am I wrong? If you were playing good, I don't think we should have to do that, but I don't think he was playing the way we think he can play. Right now, we're going to give the kid [beckham] the shot, but I don't call people up, I don't do anything with the minor leagues. He was not doing what he was supposed to do and that's why they called Beckham up. Kenny didn't tell me anything about that.''

theres ur answers josh from ozzie in cowleys peice

The tension between Ozzie and KW is rather obvious right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)

He IS right, it's just... time and place. He shouldn't be saying anything right now.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)
Did you guys notice when he hit that HR the other day Slayer was trying to crack some kind of joke with him in the dugout? It looked awkward and I dont even know what was said.

I definitely did. Fields cracked a half smile, but he clearly wasn't trying to seek out a convo with Becks.

I wonder if Kenny told he's going to be a bench guy, but after things settle down (ie, we trade some guys and open up roster spots) that Fields is going to get one last chance at either 3B or LF.

If we shut Quentin down, than we'll need another outfielder and Fields might be that guy.

Ken Williams not ready to tear down White Sox - yet

By Mark Gonzales

Despite losing seven of their past nine games, general manager Ken Williams remains patient with his White Sox team that is currently 5 1/2 games out of first place and five games under .500.

"Hard decisions always have to be made," said Williams, responding to an inquiry on whether he would break up the team if the losing trend continued. "But very clearly, we are in a transitional phase, and if this team shows me at some point they don't pick it up at some point, yeah, I'm going to have do some things that maybe aren't going to be the most popular but in the best interests of the club.

"But those things are a little ways away and we still got time to right the ship and start to play a little better. But if we don't, it is what it is. You got to produce in this game and we got expectations of winning."

Williams said he spoke with disgruntled third baseman Josh Fields and stressed that the Sox are in a winning mode and that Fields' .237 batting average and high strikeout total caused him to promote Gordon Beckham.