Josh Fields questions future with White Sox

chisox2334

Josh has shown he has the ability, as his performance showed in 2007. I get what he is saying in some ways. He had a very short leash last year, and has it this year as well. Does anybody remember how bad Joe Crede was offensively AND defensively when he first started his white sox career? Just sayin' people.

I guess what I am trying to get at is some kind of bigger picture. Ozzie has shown a quick hook with younger players (Anderson, Fields, and so far Beckham as well) while "established," albeit awful veterans get playing time and this is troubling to me.

Edited by Paint it Black

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just that Fields is putting up bad numbers. It's the fact that he can't hit a fastball over 90 mph. Our own announcer says on a weekly basis that if you can't hit a fastball, you can't play in the majors. The best thing to do right now is demote Fields and tell him to go to AAA and hit mediocre fastballs.

Welcome to the doghouse Mr. Fields. If you weren't sure about your future with the Sox before...

Seriously, what a whiny little skirt. His average balloons all the way to .248 and he's complaining about playing time. I used to always be in favor of keeping him in the lineup and hoping he could at least get clsoe to his '07 form...not anymore.

Fields is a puss. He had that whole thing about the clubhouse and not being able to cope with the immaturity there and now he has a problem with having pressure on him. If you had hit .238 with power and solid D, Beckham wouldn't be pushing your ass. But you have hit .238 with no power, a terrible K/BB rate and bad defense. Wake up and smell the coffee Josh, you suck.

Turns out that Fields has a babip of .333 this season. So not only has be been bad, but he has actually been very lucky when he makes contact. So he's actually has the ability to be worse.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
Turns out that Fields has a babip of .333 this season. So not only has be been bad, but he has actually been very lucky when he makes contact. So he's actually has the ability to be worse.

Of course he's been lucky...he has the flare over the 2nd baseman's head down to a science. He's hit about 5 balls very hard all season.

Once CQ is back there's gonna be quite a log-jam. I could easily see Josh and other(s) being traded in the next few weeks easily....

I dont think it will happen, but I wish I wish I wish it would...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
Of course he's been lucky...he has the flare over the 2nd baseman's head down to a science. He's hit about 5 balls very hard all season.

Well it's interesting because I keep seeing posts about how he's been better lately (which was like 1 good week). According to his stats, he was simply making contact and getting lucky. That's not a recipe for continued success.

But it's kind of an awkward situation for everyone. Not only myself, but teammates as well. You don't want that to happen.

whoa, what is this BULLs*** about creating an awkward situation for his teammates as well? What is there, some sort of pro-Josh squad in the clubhouse?

Paging Msrs. Thome, Dye and Konerko - please step the f*** up and act like leaders on this team and let us know that this is BULLs***.

Yea josh fields time on the southside is numbered.

Hopefully Dayan and Allen can go on a power surge down at AA. the future with this team is so exciting, if we are out of it, our farm system is only going to get even more depth.

Also seeing how winnable the central is, i wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the sox pull a play out of the marlins book and compete next year with a very solid young rotation, except we'll actually be able to hold down the win because we've got a lock down pen and good relief prospects to supplement the movement of those in the pen now.

Josh may be a nice guy. But talking like this isn't the answer. He's looked nothing like the hitter he was in 2007, when he hit the ball hard. and he's not hurt like in 2008.

I think the sox will go with Beckham as long he gets a few hits, and keeps making contact. Fields should be gone in 2 weeks time.

Edited by beck72

Guys, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Beckham's true value in the fact that he is guy who has some decent power at the middle infield position? I don't know about him being an everyday 3rd baseman, even if it's just for half of the year.

Yes, Fields has sucked, but is Dayan going to be any better on Offense or Defense? I think we need to demote Getz, keep Fields, and start Beckham everyday at 2B. If we want to take a flier, then dump Fields and bring up Dayan but most likely he'll be worse than Josh for the remainder of the year.

I don't see any issue with anything Josh said. He's right. He was bad, but had improved noticeably, then got replaced while he was improving. The promotion of Beckham was done at the wrong time, for both Josh/Gordon AND for the team, I agree with Josh on that.

I honestly think people's vitriol on here, about him being a mental midget (which looks to me to be far from the truth), and all that ridiculousness, is mostly due to his error yesterday potentially costing the game. Fields' fielding has indeed been a disappointment, no one could say otherwise. But the presence of Beckham on the team will only make Beckham, Fields and Getz WORSE in the short run. Now that he's here, I hope KW has the sense to make another move to let 2 of those 3 guys know who really has a starting job. Otherwise, this little experiment will continue to be a disaster.