6/8 Games

scenario

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Would you rather he hit .300 with 10 homers this year or .270 with 20 homers?

Honestly, I could care less, either would be fine. I'm ont concerned about his power and I think he might be the type of guy that hits .330 at the major league level with tons of power. HE's got such quick hands and a beautiful approach at the plate (great swing, great plate coverage, ability to hit to all fields). The only thing he lacks is a tremendous eye, but the guys going to be a f***ing offensive stud.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
Be nice for Allen to get it going. His numbers during his call-up to Birmingham last year were sick.

I'd be very surprised if he shows those home run numbers again. Allen had a 20.3% HR/BIA rate at Birmingham last year, that's unfeasibly high, and as a result his power numbers this year look rather paltry in comparison. As a point of reference not one qualified player in the Majors had a HR/BIA rate in the 20% range last year, Howard, Cust and Dunn were the closest at 19.6%.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
I think he's a potential 30+ HR guy. He hit 29 homers last year between Winston-Salem and Birmingham. I think he's just in a power slump right now. He had 14 HR's last year in 153 at-bats for Birmingham, but only 7 in 218 at-bats so far this year.

However, if you want to look at it in another way. He has hit 21 homers in his last 371 at-bats in Birmingham, a pitchers park. I think he's overdue for a 5 HR 2 week type span soon. He's my favorite prospect we have. He has the speed, power, and defensive potential to be a very good one at 1B.

I don't know if he'll hit 40 Hr's, but you might be right and i wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with 35, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he was more of a 20-30 HR guy. He's got a nice swing though and really keeps getting better and improving his game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
I don't know if he'll hit 40 Hr's, but you might be right and i wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with 35, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he was more of a 20-30 HR guy. He's got a nice swing though and really keeps getting better and improving his game.

Given that Allen could steal about 15 and has pretty good range in the field, a slight dip in power wouldn't kill us.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Given that Allen could steal about 15 and has pretty good range in the field, a slight dip in power wouldn't kill us.

Completely agree. I'm not overly concerned and I like his swing a lot. Looks like he's got a hitters swing, meaning that I think he'll hit for at least a good average, which is a big plus, imo. Between him, Viciedo, Beck's and hopefully Danks we'll have 4 guys that hit .280 plus, a couple that have a shot at hitting well over .300, imo. Than there is Flowers who is the pure power threat with hopefully a .260-.275 avg, a heck of a high OBP and 40 HR power. I usually don't like those all of nothing guys but when its from the catcher spot, combined with the fact that the other guys look to hit for a good average and appear to have the tools to be good pure hitters that you can totally handle a guy that hits more for pure power.

Omo's fastball was flat and he was hanging it. Although it was still running up to 95 MPH. Dayan's not going to be a .330 hitter, but if he works counts better like he did tonight, he can definitely sit in the .290 to .300 range. Pat Burrell went 0-5 with 3 K's. I heckled him, calling him "Slow Bat Pat." He also big leagued the fans and didn't stick by the Montgomery uniform policy. They all wear their socks high, like B'ham. But, he didn't. Montgomery has been putting an extreme shift on for Brandon Allen all week, outfield and infield.

Edited by JPN366

Jeeeez... Omogrosso pitched terrible tonight.

Allen finishing 4-4 with a HR is great to see. Flowers was really the only one who didn't get involved in the offense tonight. The 4-7 hitters for the Barons combined for 12 hits and 12 RBI -- when the middle/bottom of the order can carry the team like that, that's just scary for opposing pitchers.

Edited by dasox24

Cook has a 1.240 OPS in June, hitting .333 with 6 HR in his last 10 games. Season OPS now up to .890. Time for him to go to Charlotte.

Allen just looking fantastic, he's hitting, getting on base, not too many K's, decent power in a tough park... can't ask for much more than that.