CF options,not a whole lot out there.

Lemon_44

Since CF is, by far, the weakest spot on the team,i was looking at all the CF's and trying to see who could had via trade. There seems to be 3 categories. Guys that i'd like but likley aren't available in Beltran, Hunter, Victorino(he'd be the guy i want),Granderson,McLouth, Kemp, Adam Jones, Sizemore and Ellsbury. Guys i don't really know a whole lot about in Bourn, Hairston, Rasmus,Schafer and Folwer. Guys i don't want in Young, Sweeney, Crisp, Tavares, Guitireez, Fukudome, Cameron, and Rowand.

So that leaves 3 guys i came up with that could possibly be had in a trade. Ichiro, Vernon Wells, and,possibly, BJ Upton. We match up well with TB as they need bullpen arms. Upton is struggling and he wasn't one of Maddon's favorites last year. He's probably not on the market but if the Sox start throwing names like Jenks and Poreda,for starters, around they may listen. Seattle and Toronto would probably have to fall further out of the race and, especially Ichiro, will take a slew of propsects. In other words,it looks like the Sox are going to be stuck with the hapless combo of Anderson and Wise out there for the near future. I guess we could rekindle the Chone Figgins to CF rumors but i think that would have happened already if it was going to.

The Sox aren't trading for a Cfer unless its a stop gap guy and the only way they do that is if this team goes on a big run and it looks like a CFer puts them over the top. Otherwise you'll see them ride Pods and than eventually hand the show over to Jordan Danks who is said to be major league ready by Buddy Bell. That isn't to say he's going to come in and be a star right away but that he might be able to hold his own up here and I do think another month or two will benefit him, but the second the Sox fall out of contention or Pods falls apart, you can expect to see Jordan Danks join Gordon Beckham in Chicago as the Sox get ready for next season. They'll still try to sell themselves as contending and in this division you'll almost always be contending, but I think the Sox future is brighter in the next couple years, imo.

I don't want Ozzie Guillen anywhere near this team if it's going to be infused with youth, he's a terrible f***ing manager when working with younger guys, he's a veteran-friendly manager, but he'll ruin guys like Beckham and Danks, and who's to say he didn't severely stunt BA's growth as a full-time player

granted I don't think BA would've been 5-tooler, but who's to say he couldn't have been better than what he is now, under the guise of someone else

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
The Sox aren't trading for a Cfer unless its a stop gap guy and the only way they do that is if this team goes on a big run and it looks like a CFer puts them over the top. Otherwise you'll see them ride Pods and than eventually hand the show over to Jordan Danks who is said to be major league ready by Buddy Bell. That isn't to say he's going to come in and be a star right away but that he might be able to hold his own up here and I do think another month or two will benefit him, but the second the Sox fall out of contention or Pods falls apart, you can expect to see Jordan Danks join Gordon Beckham in Chicago as the Sox get ready for next season. They'll still try to sell themselves as contending and in this division you'll almost always be contending, but I think the Sox future is brighter in the next couple years, imo.

you may be right. If that's the case though, the sooner the better for Danks. He can't be any worse than what's out there now. Still an OF of Danks,Upton, and Quentin would look awfully nice in the near future :headbang .

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
you may be right. If that's the case though, the sooner the better for Danks. He can't be any worse than what's out there now. Still an OF of Danks,Upton, and Quentin would look awfully nice in the near future :headbang .

You might be right, but you know what, you got to look out for Danks future and right now I don't see anything wrong leaving him down in the minors.

I wonder if/when we decide to shop some players, Atlanta would likely be very interested in Dye. If we could get Schafer in return for Dye, that's a deal you gotta do, IMO. Schafer could play either CF or LF, and an OF of Schafer-Danks-Quentin in 2010 looks pretty good, at least for the future. Schafer could be the answer at leadoff hitter long term as well.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
I don't want Ozzie Guillen anywhere near this team if it's going to be infused with youth, he's a terrible f***ing manager when working with younger guys, he's a veteran-friendly manager, but he'll ruin guys like Beckham and Danks, and who's to say he didn't severely stunt BA's growth as a full-time player

granted I don't think BA would've been 5-tooler, but who's to say he couldn't have been better than what he is now, under the guise of someone else

Yeah, he's done a horrible job with Fields and Getz and Ramirez and Quentin and Floyd and Danks. Ozzie only has problems with players that come in with attitudes (see: Brian Anderson). But I think he's come around a little on BA.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
HOw about Dotel and Anderson for Fukudome?

I personally think that Fukudome may not be able to sustain his success, plus he's pricey and the Cubs start him. Johnson is the odd man out, is cheaper, and plays really good defense in CF (but would probably hit better than Anderson).

So are we all just going to assume that J. Danks and the rest of these kids are gonna come up here and rake? Doubtful. And I'm also tired of hearing how terribad of a manager Ozzie is. Last I checked he was the first Sox manager since 1917 to bring us a title, regardless of players, talent, or otherwise. I know, Oz haters, we won in 05 despite his terribad managing, right? Stick it. Not many managers would have had the guts to go through 3 closers, let alone a rookie.

Yet another anti-whateverthesoxdosucks thread.

You all suck.

:huh

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
So are we all just going to assume that J. Danks and the rest of these kids are gonna come up here and rake? Doubtful. And I'm also tired of hearing how terribad of a manager Ozzie is. Last I checked he was the first Sox manager since 1917 to bring us a title, regardless of players, talent, or otherwise. I know, Oz haters, we won in 05 despite his terribad managing, right? Stick it. Not many managers would have had the guts to go through 3 closers, let alone a rookie.

Yet another anti-whateverthesoxdosucks thread.

You all suck.

:huh

To be fair, Hermanson got hurt. But I agree with you until the "You all suck" part.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
I wonder if/when we decide to shop some players, Atlanta would likely be very interested in Dye. If we could get Schafer in return for Dye, that's a deal you gotta do, IMO. Schafer could play either CF or LF, and an OF of Schafer-Danks-Quentin in 2010 looks pretty good, at least for the future. Schafer could be the answer at leadoff hitter long term as well.

I have trouble believing that Atlanta would move Schafer for a 0.6 year rental that they're not going to get arbitration-picks for. Maybe if they get on a real run now and in 2 weeks are 1-2 games out rather than 5.5.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
still love how we give colon and garcia a chance but not jim edmonds

Despite the bad blood with him in the past...it's also worth noting that no other team in MLB wanted anything to do with Edmonds either.