Aaron Poreda called up

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
Because?

Arizona isn't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment. They're last in the AL West and with the Dodgers playing well they don't have much of a chance to contend this season.

Josh Byrnes could decide to reload, and they've got quite a few early picks in this season's draft IIRC.

Not saying it's going to happen, but you just can't rule it out and say it's definitely not.

I think the odds are extremely small... emphasis on extremely.

Lloyd Christmas type small.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because?

Arizona isn't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment. They're last in the AL West and with the Dodgers playing well they don't have much of a chance to contend this season.

Josh Byrnes could decide to reload, and they've got quite a few early picks in this season's draft IIRC.

Not saying it's going to happen, but you just can't rule it out and say it's definitely not.

Look at Haren's contract. Its very reasonable and he's an ace. You don't "reload" by trading your reasonably signed young ace.

Because?

Arizona isn't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment. They're last in the AL West...

I'm having a hard time even finding them in the AL West standings. They must be way down there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
The White Sox could be trading a reliever. Everyone needs them and teams will overpay. Hawk and Stone were talking about it the other day saying teams would have to pay double to get a good reliever. Maybe they were hinting at something.

Agreed, the Sox have a few relievers in the minors they could call up (Jon Link for example), and some good ones on the major league squad (the back 4, plus a strangely successful Carrasco and now Poreda), plus a guy like Colon who at this point SHOULD be a reliever. Not many other teams have relievers to spare.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
Look at Haren's contract. Its very reasonable and he's an ace. You don't "reload" by trading your reasonably signed young ace.

If you were able to get the best deal for him out of any of their players though talent wise in return, I'm sure they would at least consider it.

And who knows, maybe if they keep playing as they have been, Haren might ask for a move.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Reports, please!

Only been to Chicago once to sign his contract... likes AJ a lot and got to know some of the boys in spring training, confident in his stuff, yee haw.

He sounds like he believes he's ready.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Nothing big. Said he is excited to be coming to Chicago. Only been there once before. Doesnt know his role yet. Blah, blah. No real news out of it.

Should he be talking to the media before the move has been announced by the team? I know the kid is excited but I don't see this sitting well with Kenny.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
If you were able to get the best deal for him out of any of their players though talent wise in return, I'm sure they would at least consider it.

And who knows, maybe if they keep playing as they have been, Haren might ask for a move.

You would have to overpay for one of the best pitchers in baseball, and since it would be cost cutting you couldn't give them any money back. That means cleaning out the farm system. Probably at least your top 4 prospects, maybe more, and then it probably wouldn't get done. He's not available. Just because you are out of it doesn't mean you trade all your huge building blocks for prospects. You will never win that way. They traded a bunch to get Haren and signed him long-term, they will build around him, not trade him for some question marks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)

All you have to do is look at what the D'Backs gave up to get him in the first place, and now he's an even BETTER bargain given the extension he signed with AZ. It would be an insane package that we're not going to pay. And why would AZ ask for anything less? One of the best pitchers in baseball with one of the best contracts in baseball and he's young? He's their cornerstone.

I think many Sox fans would have had a hard time giving up Chris Carter, Greg Smith, Dana Eveland, and Aaron Cunningham in a deal for Haren if we had those guys in our system back when the trade was made. Imagine giving up all that PLUS Brett Anderson and Carlos Gonzalez. This board would f***ing explode. And now he's even more of a bargain. Imagine if we gave up Poreda, Richard, Danks, Allen, Viciedo, Shelby, and Fields, or something like that. Would anyone here actually make that trade? I wouldn't. I think it's foolish to imagine acquiring Dan Haren for anything that we'd be comfortable giving up.

I'm guessing Poreda called up, Richard back to the pen as the long reliever/spot starter. Colon is released. Leaving the rotation the rest of the year:

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Contreras, Poreda

Isn't that what most of us predicted to start the year back in the winter?

Look at Poredas #'s this year:

Poreda 2009 stats

He is more than ready to go. .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
The White Sox could be trading a reliever. Everyone needs them and teams will overpay. Hawk and Stone were talking about it the other day saying teams would have to pay double to get a good reliever. Maybe they were hinting at something.
I was thinking the same thing. I really wouldn't be surprised at all if Jenks were traded.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm guessing Poreda called up, Richard back to the pen as the long reliever/spot starter. Colon is released. Leaving the rotation the rest of the year:

Poreda 2009 stats

AA vs the major leagues. Its no lock he's "ready to go". He has had control issues. In the big leagues that tends to bite you. I don't think they would put him in the rotation.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)

Poreda 2009 stats

Is that a high walk rate? :unsure:

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
We're missing the biggest issue here: how will Josh Fields feel about this?

I guessing akward. Poreda is young and maybe a little vulgar and immature in the clubhouse. Maybe Josh will just retire.

Edited by Dick Allen