Aaron Poreda called up

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Is that a high walk rate? :unsure:

averaging like one walk every 2 innings, yeah that needs to come down a bit

also, if gordon and aaron are "major league-ready" at 22 years old, why isn't Danks2?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm guessing Poreda called up, Richard back to the pen as the long reliever/spot starter. Colon is released. Leaving the rotation the rest of the year:

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Contreras, Poreda

Isn't that what most of us predicted to start the year back in the winter?

Look at Poredas #'s this year:

Poreda 2009 stats

He is more than ready to go. .

That is a lot of guessing. My guess is Fields is gone

i'm confused. we're that ready to give up on richard as a starter? sure his last two outings haven't been terrible, but he was brilliant in the three before them. i HATE how this organization gives up on certain guys quickly, and NEVER does with others. What if we'd yanked Floyd after his string of terrible starts? And CR's weren't even terrible, just a couple severely mediocre starts. I dunno... I'm not thrilled about this. Wait and see.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
also, if gordon and aaron are "major league-ready" at 22 years old, why isn't Danks2?

I can't really say that GB and Poreda ARE ready but I wouldn't base it solely on age. I think it is more of a marketing aspect. They are the highest touted prospects we have and the Sox want to get more people to the stadium. Hopefully they can produce.

Cowley on the score:

Says the short term plan is Poreda is up to take Colon's spot in the starting rotation. He will likely make his MLB debut vs Milwaukee.

Thinks Colon will be released or put on the 15 day DL.

Says the Freddy Garcia signing is a safety net and now he is the insurance plan in case Poreda struggles.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Cowley on the score:

Says the short term plan is Poreda is up to take Colon's spot in the starting rotation. He will likely make his MLB debut vs Milwaukee.

Thinks Colon will be released or put on the 15 day DL.

Says the Freddy Garcia signing is a safety net and now he is the insurance plan in case Poreda struggles.

so does that mean Contreras has the other spot, and CR to the pen???

That's shocking to me if true. I know Poreda is a nice prospect, but I think throwing him the rotation at this point isn't going to net better results than Colon or Richard. Plus KW has always said he likes young pitchers to get their feet wet coming out of the bullpen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
so does that mean Contreras has the other spot, and CR to the pen???

yep it looks to appear that way. CR will go back to being the long reliever/ spot starter. I personally think CR has done a great job starting. However, KW and Ozzie want to take things a little slower with him as they feel he has started to aqcuire 'tired arm'. Which is understandable saying that he started as reliever then went to be a starter- so he wasn't neccesarily stretched out properly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
That's shocking to me if true. I know Poreda is a nice prospect, but I think throwing him the rotation at this point isn't going to net better results than Colon or Richard. Plus KW has always said he likes young pitchers to get their feet wet coming out of the bullpen.

How has AP's offspeed stuff looked to people this season so far? We've heard repeatedly that getting better feel of his change and slider were all that was standing between him and being a really solid guy, given the speed and movement on his fastball. Is he actually ready?

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
Joe Cowley predicting a firesale coming.

The problem that 95% of the people here would have with a legit firesale is that it would wind up moving guys that we like (JD, perhaps Thome, etc.) to clear room for guys that this board has declared to be no-talent hacks (Fields, Getz, Beckham, Anderson) because Fields, Getz, and Anderson simply have vastly more value to this team as developmental projects than they do in a trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
When's the last time we had a Jewish player on our roster?

"Would you like something to read?"

"Do you have anything light?"

"How about this leaflet, Famous Jewish Sports Legends"

I hope everyone here knows what that's from...

And congrats to Aaron! He's pretty much done all he can at the minor league level to deserve getting called up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
How has AP's offspeed stuff looked to people this season so far? We've heard repeatedly that getting better feel of his change and slider were all that was standing between him and being a really solid guy, given the speed and movement on his fastball. Is he actually ready?

No one appears to be hitting him in AA, but he does walk a few. I think he's not going to be cruising that second time through the line-up at the major league level. Just let him relieve and fire the fastball. When and if you pull the plug, stretch him back out.