Aaron Poreda called up

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
I realize that we're only 4 games out, but at what point does Kenny Williams, if ever, come to the conclusion that this team isn't that good, despite the rest of the division being very bad? In other words, if the goal is to win a championship, and this team, while it may hang around and give false hope, isn't going to win one much less get over .500, why not trade Jermaine Dye to a team that can use a hitter?

Why would a team desperate for hitters trade its hitters? Unless you want to set the franchise back to the days after the strike, you better try to win.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firesale my arse. KW always wants to content. Crap record means crap attendance. The dead weight will be gone soon. That's about it. Because the division is bad the Sox have a little room to experiment with the youth. If it pans out great we have a better chance to win the division. If it doesn't then we're no worse off than we are right now.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Firesale my arse. KW always wants to content. Crap record means crap attendance. The dead weight will be gone soon. That's about it. Because the division is bad the Sox have a little room to experiment with the youth. If it pans out great we have a better chance to win the division. If it doesn't then we're no worse off than we are right now.

He's certainly not going to pull the plug now.

The sox aren't going to make a firesale. They will trade guys to align better with there plan to contend. Ie, move pieces that are only valuable for the next year or two to get pieces that will be valuable for more years.

So don't necessarily expect Kenny to trade for the best prospects available, rather guys he likes that he feels can come in and help the club potentially as soon as this year, but definately for next year and another 2-5 years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
They could move Jenks for a ton of value with Thornton moving to the pen though. That might be a major possibility, especially if he could use Jenks to get a young ace or use Jenks to get a really good looking outfielder/bat.

Agreed but that all depends on how Poreda and Richard perform in their roles w/e they might be. I can see Jenks , Dotel or Linebrink moved then.

The Sox have options no doubt as far as trades, but trades will be made to improve now and not as a fire sale for prospects who might be years away. It's beginnig to be like a broken record with some: trade Dye, Trade Konerko, trade Jenks, etc. You don't trade the guys who are producing if you are contending for a pennant and anyone who doesn't think we can contend just ain't looking at the standings. All we need to be concerned about at this time is the AL Central where we are in a situation to contend. We win and we are in the playoofs and anything can happen. Hopefuly we do that and are playing like we should be when playoff time is here

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
Who was the Dodger Jewish OF that took off a Jewish Holiday right in the middle of the pennant race??

Koufax was Jewish and would not pitch during a Jewish religious event

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
The Sox have options no doubt as far as trades, but trades will be made to improve now and not as a fire sale for prospects who might be years away. It's beginnig to be like a broken record with some: trade Dye, Trade Konerko, trade Jenks, etc. You don't trade the guys who are producing if you are contending for a pennant and anyone who doesn't think we can contend just ain't looking at the standings. All we need to be concerned about at this time is the AL Central where we are in a situation to contend. We win and we are in the playoofs and anything can happen. Hopefuly we do that and are playing like we should be when playoff time is here

Again agreed. Making the playoffs means extra revenue and contending means more paying customers. If KW can improve the team this year and beyond by acquiring another pitcher or bat he will.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Per Cowley - Poreda will begin in the pen and then moved into the rotation

That's pretty much what most thought until Cowley said Poreda would start against Milwaukee and Colon would be DL'd or released. He really is a moron.

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

The youth movement continues on the South Side, as a source close to the situation confirmed that left-hander Aaron Poreda is going to be added to the 25-man roster today, likely taking Bartolo Colon's spot in the starting rotation.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Monday that he and general manager Ken Williams had a lengthy meeting before the first game of the doubleheader with Detroit to discuss different scenarios, and with the Jake Peavy deal falling flat, as well as Colon's struggles ­ possibly health-related, Guillen hinted ­ they felt they had no choice but to go with their best prospect in Poreda.

The paper trail on the Freddy Garcia signing also then makes sense, as the club feels that if Poreda or a Clayton Richard falls on their face, Garcia can come in and give them the same workload as Colon did.

The other decision that has to be made will be what to do with Jose Contreras after his lights-out performance Monday night. In all likelihood, he could take Richard's spot, putting the southpaw back in the bullpen as a safety net if Poreda struggles.

But make no mistake, the youth movement is on ‹ whether it¹s admitted or not.

Edited by Dick Allen

Why would the Sox release Colon? I know he's coming off a bad start, but he seems to be earning his minimal $1 million salary. What were people expecting out of him, a Cy Young season? If you would have told me at the start of the season he'd have a 4.23 ERA through 11 starts, I'd be esctatic (yes, I know some of his other #'s are troubling).

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
They can't. No one is going to want Colon and Contreras could have been had for nothing a month ago.

I don't agree. The Sox would have to send cash. Colon is less likely but he also costs nothing and there are plenty of teams struggling to run anything out there. I didnt' say you get any value but you might get a little bit of cash savings.

Contreras has another good start or two and he has a lot of value, imo. Not in terms of getting an A prospect but in the sense you could trade him and only include a limited amount of cash, thus getting a pretty good cash savings for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Anyone else hear that KW stormed out (as in being extremely pissed off) of the Sox clubhouse yesterday, and it was after a meeting with Ozzie? That's what Comcast supposedly reported. Things are definitely in motion.

Supposedly Kenny wanted to go address the team in the lockerroom and Ozzie told him no. That was what was reported on AM1000.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
I predict that tomorrow Joe Cowley will be a f***ing idiot. Also the day after that and the day after that and so on.

Way to go out on to a limb. Can you tell me if the sun is going to come up tomorrow?

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
this has always struck me as odd, but what difference does it make if the guy is jewish or not?

who was the last latvian orthodox sox player??

:huh

which part of the religion is most appealing to you?

-I'd have to say the hats. They convey that very pious look that you want in a religion.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
which part of the religion is most appealing to you?

-I'd have to say the hats. They convey that very pious look that you want in a religion.

Hmm....Fletch?

EDIT: Dang...Seinfeld.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Supposedly Kenny wanted to go address the team in the lockerroom and Ozzie told him no. That was what was reported on AM1000.

Way to go out on to a limb. Can you tell me if the sun is going to come up tomorrow?

I heard Ozzie say it is his job to talk to the team but that him and Kenny are on the same page. That was based on comments from yesterday though and no other info. Made it sound like Kenny was pissed at the play, talked to Ozz, who was also pissed, and than Ozz had a talk with the team (ie, the ripping he gave them in between games).

Much less drama in what i'm saying above, but I have no idea, maybe Ozzie told Kenny to f off or something but it didn't sound like based upon Ozzie's quotes that there was anything wrong going on (he did say that Kenny and him were on the same page).