Aaron Poreda called up

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Joe Cowley predicting a firesale coming.

Could be, but I think Beckham and Poreda are up because Kenny thinks they're ready now, and just as good as the other options-Josh Fields and probably Bartolo Colon.

If the Sox aren't at .500 by the end of the month, I think it's over. The second half schedule is tougher than the first half, so it's going to be a lot tougher to be a second half team. If they can't be a .500 team by the break, then shut it down and see what you can get for Jenks, Dye and Dotel. I'm sure Thome and Konerko will be out there, but obviously they'll be tougher to move.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firesale of who?

These guys I'd put on the bubble right now:

Count, Colon, Betemit has already been DFA'd, Gobble, Fields, Getz, maybe Nix but I think he's our UT player

Count is the only one who is expensive and we can't move his contract without taking on another bad contract. The other players make very little if not the minimum. Moving any or all of those guys wouldn't constitute a firesale IMO.

If we're going to run off a firesale then I'd expect to be hearing about Thome, JD, PK, Linebrink, maybe Jenks, Dotel, but who can take on those contracts?

I guess I just don't see it. I see activity, and lots of it, but shedding major contracts of players who are coming off the books anyway doesn't seem to make a ton of sense when there's no one to replace them with.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
If we're going to run off a firesale then I'd expect to be hearing about Thome, JD, PK, Linebrink, maybe Jenks, Dotel, but who can take on those contracts?

With the exception of Konerko, there's a lot of teams that could go after those contracts. Linebrink's somewhat expensive...but he's also a very reliable RHP setup man. Dotel's expensive but only for this year and will be a type A guy if you're willing to risk offering him arbitration. JD's expensive but he's only for this year; if you're really in the race he's darn useful. Thome's expensive but he's only for this year, although he does have a full no trade clause. Konerko...I don't see him moving.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
How has AP's offspeed stuff looked to people this season so far? We've heard repeatedly that getting better feel of his change and slider were all that was standing between him and being a really solid guy, given the speed and movement on his fastball. Is he actually ready?

He's been throwing a ton of offspeed stuff the past month. I would have given him more time, but he should be fine. Hopefully A.J. and Castro can help him with pitch selection.

I predict that tomorrow Joe Cowley will be a f***ing idiot. Also the day after that and the day after that and so on.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Firesale of who?

These guys I'd put on the bubble right now:

Count, Colon, Betemit has already been DFA'd, Gobble, Fields, Getz, maybe Nix but I think he's our UT player

Count is the only one who is expensive and we can't move his contract without taking on another bad contract. The other players make very little if not the minimum. Moving any or all of those guys wouldn't constitute a firesale IMO.

I guess I just don't see it. I see activity, and lots of it, but shedding major contracts of players who are coming off the books anyway doesn't seem to make a ton of sense when there's no one to replace them with.

Exactly. No one is going to want to take on the huge contracts the Sox would like to rid themselves of, and if you are packing it in, it really makes no sense to trade guys like Getz who probably have little value. You might as well see if he can make something of himself.

Firesales, picking up huge pieces at or near the deadline, have been rumored for years. But KW hasn't made too huge of a splash since Garcia in 2004. Griffey was a big name but not much of a player.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
yep it looks to appear that way. CR will go back to being the long reliever/ spot starter. I personally think CR has done a great job starting. However, KW and Ozzie want to take things a little slower with him as they feel he has started to aqcuire 'tired arm'. Which is understandable saying that he started as reliever then went to be a starter- so he wasn't neccesarily stretched out properly.

His fastball didn't have nearly the same amount of pop the past two starts that he had in his first 3 starts. So that could very well be the case. Good observation.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
once again what constitues a fire sale with this team?

If KW feels were out of contention then I see JD, Dotel, Linebrink, possibly Thome (if he wants out, otherwise no), Colon, all moved. Contreras maybe if he keeps doing what he did last night (so that a team will actually pick him up).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Anyone else hear that KW stormed out (as in being extremely pissed off) of the Sox clubhouse yesterday, and it was after a meeting with Ozzie? That's what Comcast supposedly reported. Things are definitely in motion.

What was Ozzie's quote to the media yesterday?

"Good teams win games. Horse**** teams have meetings. Well, we're to the point where we're going to have a lot of meetings."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Exactly. No one is going to want to take on the huge contracts the Sox would like to rid themselves of, and if you are packing it in, it really makes no sense to trade guys like Getz who probably have little value. You might as well see if he can make something of himself.

These contracts aren't "Huge" any more. They're slighly large but ending soon.

Colon will be DL'ed . Contreras will take his place. At this point the Sox are desperate, searching for answers hoping to catch lightning in a bottle so I think Poreda will be starting and Richard will replace Gobble in the pen where he had success during the playoffs last year.

Fields is as good as gone. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Jenks or Dotel moved also. Wise too ,gone as soon as Quentin comes back.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
With the exception of Konerko, there's a lot of teams that could go after those contracts. Linebrink's somewhat expensive...but he's also a very reliable RHP setup man. Dotel's expensive but only for this year and will be a type A guy if you're willing to risk offering him arbitration. JD's expensive but he's only for this year; if you're really in the race he's darn useful. Thome's expensive but he's only for this year, although he does have a full no trade clause. Konerko...I don't see him moving.

The problem is though that even the Yankees say they can't take on salary right now. The Cubsessed members of the media think they'll get Peavy, but the Cubs can't even take on the remainder of DeRosa's contract. I probably would have said 2 weeks ago that moving Dotel who is a FA (I strongly doubt he'll get an arb offer) would bring us something good without us having to eat salary, but now I'm not so sure. Everyone seems to be saying they're broke. We happen to be one of the few teams who can actually take on salary right now, but because we suck so much ass there's no reason to.

I think we'd have to get very creative to get something good out of our players. I think we'd have to play the NBA game where we're dealing with expiring contracts and so forth and try to get within a certain percentage of total salary to make a deal. Some teams might be able to take on a few million, but how many of those teams with flexibility see themselves as contenders right now?

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
What was Ozzie's quote to the media yesterday?

"Good teams win games. Horse**** teams have meetings. Well, we're to the point where we're going to have a lot of meetings."

My guess is Ozzie doesn't want to play the kids and wants to keep Wise and Kenny said the kids are going to play and Wise is gone. Also from a marketing standpoint saying the team is horses**** isn't likely to put butts in the seats.

We are 4 games out of first at the beginning of June. KW is not trading our best players right now. For christ sake he just traded for Jake Peavy a month ago. He might not be happy with this team but he isnt going to give up on the season just yet.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)

Firesales, picking up huge pieces at or near the deadline, have been rumored for years. But KW hasn't made too huge of a splash since Garcia in 2004. Griffey was a big name but not much of a player.

Agree, and on Getz I think that normally we'd stick with him because he's the type of player that eventually I could see thriving under Ozzie, but I want Getz gone. I like Getz and I think he'll be a solid player, but I want Beckham at 2B long-term, and if Gordon is up here then I want him playing and learning at his future position every single day. But I do agree overall on the fact that Getz probably won't bring us what he's worth, but I'm willing to eat the difference in order to clear the way for Beckham since he's up here.

I think Seattle is a great destination for Getz. Jose Lopez is terrible and I believe Triunfel is going to end up replacing Betancourt, so they probably need a 2B (unless they've got someone close that I don't know about).

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
We are 4 games out of first at the beginning of June. KW is not trading our best players right now. For christ sake he just traded for Jake Peavy a month ago. He might not be happy with this team but he isnt going to give up on the season just yet.

yeah i dont think a fire sale is coming for sure....if we win the 3 remaining vs. the tigers we are what 1.5 out? now if we get swept in those 3 and are 7.5 back...thats a different story