Big Hurt is back!!!

WSoxMatt

http://www.chicagolandradioandmedia.com/

Posted by Ed Sherman

at 6/9/2009 5:01 AM CDT on Chicago Business

Frank Thomas is coming back to Chicago.

Not as a hitter, although the White Sox could use every bit of help they can get these days. Rather, "The Big Hurt" will return as a special analyst for the upcoming White Sox-Cubs games.

Mr. Thomas will work the extended pre-game and post-game reports for Comcast Sports Net's coverage of 5 of the 6 games; Fox has the Saturday afternoon games at U.S. Cellular Field.

A representative for Mr. Thomas recently contacted Charlie Schumacher, CSN's senior news director, saying that the former Sox slugger was interested in doing some work for the network. The Crosstown series was a natural starting point. Mr. Thomas will work live from the ballpark for the pregame shows and either at the ballpark or in studio for the post-game shows.

It remains to be seen if Mr. Thomas will do more work for CSN beyond the Cub-Sox games. Bill Melton has been a fixture as CSN's studio analyst for the Sox.

This isn't Mr. Thomas' first plunge into being an analyst. Previously, he worked in the studio for TNT's coverage of the 2007 playoffs.

He didn't receive glowing reviews, as he looked stiff and uncertain. To be fair to Mr. Thomas, most active players (he still was with Toronto) often struggle when they get thrown so quickly on the big stage.

It should be different for Mr. Thomas at CSN. This is the town where he became a huge star. That should provide him with more a comfort zone, allowing his true personality to emerge. Remember Mr. Thomas always has been an engaging interview.

Also, the move signals Mr. Thomas' re-entry into the White Sox orbit. Let us not forget Mr. Thomas ugly departure from the team after 2005. The war of words prompted General Manager Kenny Williams to launch one of the all-time tirades against him.

The situation has cooled since then. When Mr. Thomas visited Chicago in an opponent's uniform, the Sox gave him a nice scoreboard tribute.

With the Sox being a part owner of CSN, the team had to sign off on Mr. Thomas coming in as a special analyst. It is an important step in what will eventually see the team retiring No. 35 and erecting a statue in his honor.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
http://www.chicagolandradioandmedia.com/

Posted by Ed Sherman

at 6/9/2009 5:01 AM CDT on Chicago Business

Frank Thomas is coming back to Chicago.

Not as a hitter, although the White Sox could use every bit of help they can get these days. Rather, "The Big Hurt" will return as a special analyst for the upcoming White Sox-Cubs games.

Mr. Thomas will work the extended pre-game and post-game reports for Comcast Sports Net's coverage of 5 of the 6 games; Fox has the Saturday afternoon games at U.S. Cellular Field.

A representative for Mr. Thomas recently contacted Charlie Schumacher, CSN's senior news director, saying that the former Sox slugger was interested in doing some work for the network. The Crosstown series was a natural starting point. Mr. Thomas will work live from the ballpark for the pregame shows and either at the ballpark or in studio for the post-game shows.

It remains to be seen if Mr. Thomas will do more work for CSN beyond the Cub-Sox games. Bill Melton has been a fixture as CSN's studio analyst for the Sox.

This isn't Mr. Thomas' first plunge into being an analyst. Previously, he worked in the studio for TNT's coverage of the 2007 playoffs.

He didn't receive glowing reviews, as he looked stiff and uncertain. To be fair to Mr. Thomas, most active players (he still was with Toronto) often struggle when they get thrown so quickly on the big stage.

It should be different for Mr. Thomas at CSN. This is the town where he became a huge star. That should provide him with more a comfort zone, allowing his true personality to emerge. Remember Mr. Thomas always has been an engaging interview.

Also, the move signals Mr. Thomas' re-entry into the White Sox orbit. Let us not forget Mr. Thomas ugly departure from the team after 2005. The war of words prompted General Manager Kenny Williams to launch one of the all-time tirades against him.

The situation has cooled since then. When Mr. Thomas visited Chicago in an opponent's uniform, the Sox gave him a nice scoreboard tribute.

With the Sox being a part owner of CSN, the team had to sign off on Mr. Thomas coming in as a special analyst. It is an important step in what will eventually see the team retiring No. 35 and erecting a statue in his honor.

:headbang

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
Nice to see Big Frank is still comfortable being associated with the Sox considering the circumstances he left under. I think Frank will do a good job. I miss Big Frank.

I think Big Frank knows that the Chicago [sox] fans are the only fans that will forgive him for things in the past and accept him in the future. WE can talk s*** about Big Frank. WE can say he's a crybaby. WE can tell him to STFU. But...nobody else can -- or WE will destroy them for talking about OUR guy.

I think Frank "gets that".

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
I think Big Frank knows that the Chicago [sox] fans are the only fans that will forgive him for things in the past and accept him in the future. WE can talk s*** about Big Frank. WE can say he's a crybaby. WE can tell him to STFU. But...nobody else can -- or WE will destroy them for talking about OUR guy.

I think Frank "gets that".

I'd never say one bad thing about Big Frank. Never. He's the best player I've ever seen play here and he did it cleanly.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
I'd never say one bad thing about Big Frank. Never. He's the best player I've ever seen play here and he did it cleanly.

My point is, YOU can. Others cannot.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)

I have even more respect for Big Frank after the Giambi/AROD/Bonds Roiders. To hear Tim McCarver talk about no DH's in the main Hall of Fame really, really made me angry. No Big Frank, then it really isn't a hall of fame in my mind.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
I have even more respect for Big Frank after the Giambi/AROD/Bonds Roiders. To hear Tim McCarver talk about no DH's in the main Hall of Fame really, really made me angry. No Big Frank, then it really isn't a hall of fame in my mind.

Tim McCarver knows about as much about baseball as your random idiot drunken Cub fan hanging out in the bleachers threatening some little kid to throw a ball back on the field. In fact, if you found "That Guy" and mic'd him up and just took McCarver out into the woods and shot him, I don't think anyone would notice.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Frank will break the record for saying "most definitely" more times in an hour than anyone has ever done before. Good for Frank though, and nice to see him moving on with his life.

More than Eric Dickerson did on MNF??? That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Frank will break the record for saying "most definitely" more times in an hour than anyone has ever done before. Good for Frank though, and nice to see him moving on with his life.

That record was set earlier this year by Darin Jackson. Big Frank might break that one, but he'll never be a better singer than DJ.

Will the number come close the the "and so forth and so on" that Bo Jackson likes to add to every other sentence?

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:34 AM)
To hear Tim McCarver talk about no DH's in the main Hall of Fame really, really made me angry. No Big Frank, then it really isn't a hall of fame in my mind.

To paraphrase a former colleague, McCarver is one of those people who you'd like to buy for what he's worth and sell for what he thinks he's worth.

Not allowing a DH into the HOF is about as stupid as disqualifying somebody who plays 1B or RF. I realize that some of the Puritanical old-timers still can't get over the rule change from 30+ years ago, but they need to dig their heads out of their asses and get with the program.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
To paraphrase a former colleague, McCarver is one of those people who you'd like to buy for what he's worth and sell for what he thinks he's worth.

Not allowing a DH into the HOF is about as stupid as disqualifying somebody who plays 1B or RF. I realize that some of the Puritanical old-timers still can't get over the rule change from 30+ years ago, but they need to dig their heads out of their asses and get with the program.

And what pissed me off the most when he said that was the whole "not playing the field" argument. Um, Tim...he may not have been a great fielder, but he did play 1B for quite awhile. Jackass.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
And what pissed me off the most when he said that was the whole "not playing the field" argument. Um, Tim...he may not have been a great fielder, but he did play 1B for quite awhile. Jackass.

Not to mention that Frank didn't fill out the lineup card. He was a capable 1B up until at least 5 or 6 years ago, and was basically made a full-time DH after the injury while playing 1B in 2001.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
Now sign him to a one-day contract and let him retire with the franchise he belongs with... take a cue from the Blackhawks and repair that relationship.

Exactly. I would love to see that happen... I love Frank. And even though McCarver went to my high school (so I normally back the guy even if he isn't the best announcer), he's flat out wrong if he said Frank shouldn't be in the HOF. What he did as a player looks even better now considering he did it cleanly whereas quite a few guys with better numbers than him were on PEDs.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)

Baseball puritans would put Frank in the Hall because they understand just how awesome he was as a hitter. The Big Hurt spent his last 8 seasons hitting well below .300 and still finished with a .301 average. His 1994 season might have been one of the single greatest offensive seasons in baseball history had it not been for the strike. If players like Ozzie Smith can get in (and deservedly so) as an all-defense player, then an all-offense player like Frank can get in also.

People who try to make cases against the DH are not baseball puritans. They are actually angry, biased dickwads who clearly do not enjoy or appreciate the sport enough to actually be involved in it.

Edit: Just to show how awesome Frank was in 1994, if you compare that to Albert Pujols' best season (which came last year in the National League) Frank blows him away. And NOBODY blows Pujols away.

Frank in 1994: 113 G; 399 AB; 517 PA; 141 H; 34 2B; 38 HR; 101 RBI; 109 BB; 61 K; .353/.487/.729/1.216

Pujols in 2008: 148 G; 524 AB; 641 PA; 187 H; 44 2B; 37 HR; 116 RBI; 104 BB; 54K; .357/.462/.653/1.115

So Frank had 124 less PA and equalled or exceeded Pujols' numbers pretty much everywhere.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects