THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to Keith Law: 'His problem is at the plate, where his swing is long and his trigger -- a toe tap and big stride that closes his stance -- comes very late. When he squares something up, it takes off, but the squaring-up frequency isn't high enough and his pitch recognition isn't advanced enough yet to overcome the problems in his swing."

So basically he'll fit right in with this organization.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
It's fine, the panel for MLB Network likes the pick. I don't mind it, Mitchell has huge potential to give us something we've lacked.

The knock by some on Brothers was that they thought he was going to wind up in the pen. I happen to disagree with that assessment but I can't kill the Sox. Mitchell is a 4/5 tool type of talent who hits the s*** out of the ball when he makes contact. He has a nice walk rate, a s***ton of speed and his only big knock are the strikeouts and maybe not a plus arm.

I'm surprised but not pissed. I happen to think I'd have went P first and than OF because I think you'd overall get better value going that route as opposed to the other.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
according to Keith Law: 'His problem is at the plate, where his swing is long and his trigger -- a toe tap and big stride that closes his stance -- comes very late. When he squares something up, it takes off, but the squaring-up frequency isn't high enough and his pitch recognition isn't advanced enough yet to overcome the problems in his swing."

So basically he'll fit right in with this organization.

Well that's just great. Good thing we have such great coaching in our minor league system to fix such things.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
yep...im gonna say it cuz i know I'm not the only one thinking it....and people might torch me for saying this...but i think kenny williams gives preferential treatment to black players

*crickets*

Wow.

The MLB guys loved this pick, said he had the highest upside of any position player in the draft. Can we look back to see who were the people upset with Beckham being drafted?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
At least we can watch him in the College World Series.

This is true. I'll be looking forward to watching him on TV. I always do like it when we take guys still playing in the CWS b/c I get to see them play rather than read scouting reports.

From BA

The White Sox go for Jared Mitchell, the LSU defensive back and right fielder. Mitchell projects as a center fielder, and if you haven’t noticed, the White Sox haven’t been happy with their center fielders lately. Can Mitchell withstand the fast track the White Sox put thier prospects on? In the last week, Chicago has called up both of its last two first-round picks, in lefty Aaron Poreda and infielder Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
In the last year, how many posts have we seen complaining about station to station baseball, and how Williams eventually needs to address it. Sox select probably the best athlete in the draft, and it's a huge mistake. This coming from people who have either never seen him play, or at most seen 15 of his AB's.

Spot on.

I also think they go arm with the next pick.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
In the last year, how many posts have we seen complaining about station to station baseball, and how Williams eventually needs to address it. Sox select probably the best athlete in the draft, and it's a huge mistake. This coming from people who have either never seen him play, or at most seen 15 of his AB's.

I predicted this last night. People would freak out initially, but then they'd come around to like it after Carl Crawford comparisons.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)

I predicted this last night. People would freak out initially, but then they'd come around to like it after Carl Crawford comparisons.