THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

f***, why in the world would we pass up Brothers for Mitchell? That's asinine.

Yeah, drafting football players has really worked out for his in the past (I'm not including Richard cause IIRC, he gave up football after his sophomore year to focus on baseball)....

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
I predicted this last night. People would freak out initially, but then they'd come around to like it after Carl Crawford comparisons.

You're gonna wear out your horn if you keep tooting it dude.

Fathom, BA called it. I knew it. Not a fan of Mitchell, but like I said before, I'm alot higher on him than when Chris Young was with us. If everything goes right, he is the steal of this draft. If not... he might be a 10X worse bust than Borchard. You gotta hope Brothers, Scheppers, etc.. will fall in the supp.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
*crickets*

Wow.

The MLB guys loved this pick, said he had the highest upside of any position player in the draft. Can we look back to see who were the people upset with Beckham being drafted?

Mitchell is the best collegiate athlete in the draft. So it isn't a bad pick at all. If you prefered a pitcher or felt that a guy like Trout falls than I could see being upset, but bottom line, the Sox got a toolsy guy and I like that.

Danks/Mitchell give the Sox two really toolsy minor league outfielders. Hopefully the Sox can grab a couple nice power arms now. If Phelgey is there they might even take him too and see if he can stick at catcher, but maybe not, since they already have one offensive catcher who might not be able to stick defensively.

Don't slit your wrists over Mitchell. He's the best athlete in the draft, 20 years old, and has great power potential as well. He was a kid that bench pressed 335 pounds and squatted 450 pounds before he stepped on LSU's campus. He has a funky, loopy swing right now that can really be shortened up. He also uses a one-handed swing often that limits his power. His swing can have a ton of work on it, which can be good news with the right coaching. Josh Fields, Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson etc all had swings that were pretty much set, and just never could close the hole in the swing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Do you think this is the type of guy you bring up quickly? It looked to me like the guys were saying he was a bit of a project.

f*** no, this guy is a project. His high BB walk this year is promising, but he needs some serious refinement to his game. His swing needs a lot of work, he doesn't get good reads on fly balls, and his arm is average at best... I could handle this pick if Brothers wasn't still on the board, but you don't pass up a pitcher with Brothers stuff for a huge project like Mitchell.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
Do you think this is the type of guy you bring up quickly? It looked to me like the guys were saying he was a bit of a project.

No, but I have to think the Sox have seen him enough that they have an idea of what to do with his swing and will make a minor adjustment and let him play from there on out. He has a very good eye and really its just a minor hitch in his swing, nothing near as bad as Fields/BA have.

But I think he needs a full year in the minors (meaning all of next year) at a minimum. Definately more raw than a Danks.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Don't slit your wrists over Mitchell. He's the best athlete in the draft, 20 years old, and has great power potential as well. He was a kid that bench pressed 335 pounds and squatted 450 pounds before he stepped on LSU's campus. He has a funky, loopy swing right now that can really be shortened up. He also uses a one-handed swing often that limits his power. His swing can have a ton of work on it, which can be good news with the right coaching. Josh Fields, Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson etc all had swings that were pretty much set, and just never could close the hole in the swing.

Thanks for the input. I like it.

Lets go get some arms!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)
f*** no, this guy is a project. His high BB walk this year is promising, but he needs some serious refinement to his game. His swing needs a lot of work, he doesn't get good reads on fly balls, and his arm is average at best... I could handle this pick if Brothers wasn't still on the board, but you don't pass up a pitcher with Brothers stuff for a huge project like Mitchell.

Considering he'll be playing LF, I think he'll be a plus defender out there with his range.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)

Let me ask you this, how come all the other teams passed on him? Is he that good that only a few folks on this board value him that high?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
Mitchell is the best collegiate athlete in the draft. So it isn't a bad pick at all. If you prefered a pitcher or felt that a guy like Trout falls than I could see being upset, but bottom line, the Sox got a toolsy guy and I like that.

Danks/Mitchell give the Sox two really toolsy minor league outfielders. Hopefully the Sox can grab a couple nice power arms now. If Phelgey is there they might even take him too and see if he can stick at catcher, but maybe not, since they already have one offensive catcher who might not be able to stick defensively.

If Mitchell doesn't work out, KW Jr. is waiting in the wings. He's toolsy.

You just gotta hope Mitchell figures it outy, cause he can be an elite stud or like a Sizemore type guy (more power/speed, less defense/average) Man though you wanna talk about fast. Mitchell-Danks-Quentin (or future guy we might have in the minors or this draft cause I still believe Quentin is gone in 2-4 years) would be ungodly.