THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I'm reading about Mitchell, the more I'm liking. I'd guess maybe Curtis Granderson type along with the Carl Crawford comparisons. Great athlete, decent power. His swing and defense are in question.

Considering he'll be playing LF, I think he'll be a plus defender out there with his range.

You are probably correct fathom. His reads are weak but that makeup speed he has should be no problem and he'll gain experince when he continues to play. IMO, he'll be an elite LF but an average to slighty below CF. When you Danks though in your system whose D in CF is top notch, then you let Mitchell develop in LF (which he'll be very good at) barring a trade.

I have mixed feelings about Mitchell, I was hoping for Arnett/Scheppers although not realisticly expecting Scheppers. That being said I hope we take a couple tough to sign guys in Luke Bailey and Ian Krol, dont know why but for some reason really on Bailey's bandwagon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
You're gonna wear out your horn if you keep tooting it dude.

Well, Fathom did say Eric Arnett wouldn't be out of the Top 15 and look at that prediction. :D

That would have been my selection, but honestly, I don't mind Mitchell. This draft wasn't thought of as very deep in outfielders, and I can't remember where I heard it, but there was an online article that suggested whenever there is some consensus (ie, this draft is weak on catchers, weak on outfielders, etc.) it causes legitimately good players to drop because -- with scouting -- people see what they want to see. Everyone has good numbers. It's just a matter of looking at someones swing, or delivery, and deciding if it can be harnessed into something special.

Also, where the f*** are you guys following this draft? MLB doesn't seem to be updating their site and its not on TV.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I'm so sick of people saying we got the best athlete in the draft, big whoop. Josh Fields is a great athlete as well... I don't give a s*** about athletes, give me baseball players.

Fields isn't a great athlete.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
My belief is Sox will draft J. Mitchell out of LSU. Most of soxtalk will be upset, claiming that he strikes out too much. Then, Hawk and KW will talk about it and the comparison to Carl Crawford will come out. Soxtalk will then slowly shift to liking the pick.

Was a good call though fathom....

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
I'm so sick of people saying we got the best athlete in the draft, big whoop. Josh Fields is a great athlete as well... I don't give a s*** about athletes, give me baseball players.

One game against the Rays running all over us and you will change your tune. The kid looks like he plays ball pretty well, .300+ avg, Sb's some power, good defense, that looks like a baseball player to me.

Would you consider the Uptons, Crawford etc athletes or just baseball players?

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
The more I'm reading about Mitchell, the more I'm liking. I'd guess maybe Curtis Granderson type along with the Carl Crawford comparisons. Great athlete, decent power. His swing and defense are in question.

His defense is raw but he has the skillset to be a gold glove Cfer. Plenty of speed to go out and get a ball, great acceleration, its just a matter of him getting more experience and with that he should improve at his reads.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
One game against the Rays running all over us and you will change your tune. The kid looks like he plays ball pretty well, .300+ avg, Sb's some power, good defense, that looks like a baseball player to me.

Jared Mitchell is not an Upton Brother. Not even close.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)

He hasn't shown any real natural baseball tools. His swing is ugly and if it wasn't for his amazing speed, he'd be a terrible OF. I hope I'm wrong, but I see another bust on our hands.

i dont blast picks because you don't know whats going to happened. W sox were going for need and hope the accomplished. How about we don't blast people we have no clue how their going perform later on. You can blast all you want major league roster because their are expectations with alot of guys you seen for awhile. Hope he pans out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Jared Mitchell is not an Upton Brother. Not even close.

Never said he was, but most people consider them great athletes, not pure baseball players. They are great at baseball because of their elite athleticism.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
The later rounds are much, much deeper than the first round. Besides the top 3-5, every pick is a crab shoot.

Even top 5 is. The whole draft is a crapshoot. The best player in baseball was a 13th round pick. And numerous No. 1s flameout.