THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

His defense is raw but he has the skillset to be a gold glove Cfer. Plenty of speed to go out and get a ball, great acceleration, its just a matter of him getting more experience and with that he should improve at his reads.

I'll disagree about him sticking in CF but definitely agree on more experience. Who knows maybe he might really improve, but when you got Danks in the system who much better, barring a trade you gotta move Mitchell to LF. But hey if he really improves, fine, stick Jordan in LF. But I just dont see the kid being as good defensively in CF though I gotta stop comparing those two.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
He hasn't shown any real natural baseball tools. His swing is ugly and if it wasn't for his amazing speed, he'd be a terrible OF. I hope I'm wrong, but I see another bust on our hands.

HE's shown speed, power, a good batters eye. His swing isn't even close to ugly, just a bit long.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
HE's shown speed, power, a good batters eye. His swing isn't even close to ugly, just a bit long.

So on MLB.com they said he projects as a CF'er who can steal bases and hit for power. Do you think thats accurate?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
I'll disagree about him sticking in CF but definitely agree on more experience. Who knows maybe he might really improve, but when you got Danks in the system who much better, barring a trade you gotta move Mitchell to LF. But hey if he really improves, fine, stick Jordan in LF. But I just dont see the kid being as good defensively in CF though I gotta stop comparing those two.

Danks has a corner outfielders arm though. Either way Mitchell is playing CF up until he's blocked by a guy like Danks in the bigs and at that time they'll see whose the better CF with the other going to Lf. However, Quentin is more of a LF so I think they'd be better with Mitchell in CF and Danks in RF.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
That's cause you love me dasox. :P

Wait, what?

I love Bailey, though, myself. I said weeks ago that I hope we take a chance on him and still do. There's a reason this guy was supposed to be the #1 C in the draft and a top 15 pick before getting TJ surgery. I'd rather let him rehab in our system and be ready to play starting next April.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
So on MLB.com they said he projects as a CF'er who can steal bases and hit for power. Do you think thats accurate?

Ya, he has a shot at busting, but he's got power potential. He strikes out a ton but he still looks like a power hitting top of the order threat due to his walk totals (he will k a lot though). The concern is if he'll be able to shorten that swing and hit for enough average. If he can, not only will he hit for average, but he'll have pretty damn good power.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)

All of his mechanics are bad.

And he's shown power? 9 home runs with a metal bat in collegiate ball? He's got the strength to hit them out, but his swing isn't very conducive of hitting the ball hard.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
I'm hearing that the White Sox think "Mitchell has the highest upside of anyone in the draft", and that the A's had rated the kid highly.

i assume that is really supposed to say "as high as any position player in the draft", or "outside of strasburg"

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
Danks has a corner outfielders arm though. Either way Mitchell is playing CF up until he's blocked by a guy like Danks in the bigs and at that time they'll see whose the better CF with the other going to Lf. However, Quentin is more of a LF so I think they'd be better with Mitchell in CF and Danks in RF.

Quentin is more of a LF? How so. He came up as a RF, played RF in college, and has a very strong arm. I'd think his whole defensive skill set pointed to RF.

The selection of Fuentes and Heathcott should give all of you an indication of the variability among Baseball America and how organizations view players.

Where are these guys in comparison with how they were valued on Baseball America? Just from the list posted several pages ago, neither were in the Top 30. And Scheppers, Wheeler, Brothers (three players with respective rankings of 9, 16, 17 remain).

Wait, what?

I love Bailey, though, myself. I said weeks ago that I hope we take a chance on him and still do. There's a reason this guy was supposed to be the #1 C in the draft and a top 15 pick before getting TJ surgery. I'd rather let him rehab in our system and be ready to play starting next April.

I thought you were just agreeing with me my midnight friend. :)

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...1389&st=225

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
All of his mechanics are bad.

And he's shown power? 9 home runs with a metal bat in collegiate ball? He's got the strength to hit them out, but his swing isn't very conducive of hitting the ball hard.

Ya he has. He hits the ball hard when he makes contact and has a more line drive approach but the guy flat out smokes the ball when he makes good contact. I think you are far to quick to call yourself a swing expert. A baseball swing isn't about how pretty it is but the suttle intracies. Just cause a swing looks bad doens't mean anything, it is all about the quickness of the hands and his ability to get himself into a hitting plane. He isn't far off from getting himself in a position where he squares up the ball a whole hell of a lot and when he does, its going to go a long way.

Thats a big if, but it ain't near as awful as you make it sound like. If his swing was so horrible, he wouldn't be on almost every experts top 30 players and every experts top 2 collegiate athletes.

Turns out he was damn near #1 overall on the Sox board.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
The selection of Fuentes and Heathcott should give all of you an indication of the variability among Baseball America and how organizations view players.

Where are these guys in comparison with how they were valued on Baseball America? Just from the list posted several pages ago, neither were in the Top 30. And Scheppers, Wheeler, Brothers (three players with respective rankings of 9, 16, 17 remain).

Every scouting director out tehre said that after the first couple picks, the whole rest of the top few rounds was a royal crapshoot. A guy 10th on one teams board might be 40th on another and vice versa. It is going to be really interesting.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
I don't like us drafting someone who has his major questions in his swing. That is all.

Why isn't Brothers off the board yet?

I would be ecstatic if he fell to us at #38.