THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
Who knows. UCLA usually keeps there guys for the most part, that said, he wasn't slated to go necessarily this early, partly because of his committ and the fact that he still has a lot to learn, but his tools grade out well. My guess is the Sox have talked to him and know he wants to play. They are usually very good at feeling out these kind of guys. I also think this makes it more likely we see them grab a tougher sign eventually.

If he doesn't sign, we get the 62 pick next year, right? Or just a comp pick between rounds 3 and 4?

Prep lefty, 6-4, 205. Not great velocity currently, but he's got 3 good pitches already and a very good feel for pitching. Looks to have a projectable body so he might be able to add velocity. Sox are clearly sticking to there MO though, in the sense that they aren't breaking the bank on anyone.

"The basics have been working, getting ahead," Holmberg said. "Ideally I like to try and bust hitters inside with the fastball, get their eyes going pretty fast. If they're behind a little with their swing I'll go with the same thing, fastball in. Then I'll change speeds with a changeup out or curveball down. That's ideal."

His fourth start came on Friday, March 14, against in-town rival Charlotte High. Though he only went 5 2/3 innings, he struck out 13 and allowed just three hits. So, in four starts, Holmberg has pitched 23 2/3 innings, walked 10, allowed eight hits and struck out 56—meaning just 15 of his outs have not been recorded by strikeouts. He's also allowed three runs, only one of them earned.

Holmberg is committed to Florida and is No. 52 on the Baseball America High School Top 100.

"Ever since I've been a little guy I've always been a Florida guy," Holmberg said. "I like what (Florida head coach Kevin) O'Sullivan has done."

Holmberg's fastball sits consistently at 87-88 mph, but can touch 91. He also has a very good curveball that has two-plane break and has shown feel for a changeup. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds his body has some projection left that could lead to a little bit more velocity, though he'll rely on continuing to command his fastball and use it to set up his curve.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-...009/267784.html

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
Underwhelming pick, as he has a pretty pedestrian fastball.

I immediately think of Justin Edwards when I think of this pick. Florida prep pitcher without overpowering stuff. Let's hope this one works out a bit better. There goes Walla, Jason. I'm sure you're a bit disappointed.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)
Sox are clearly sticking to there MO though, in the sense that they aren't breaking the bank on anyone.

So disappointing, especially when you're going into rebuilding mode.

Brewers with a great pick in Walla.

http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2009/06/poss...-lhp-david.html

Draft-DavidHolmberg.jpg

David Holmberg - Port Charlotte HS… 6-4, 215… #31 in the state of Florida according to Prospectswire.com…

#51 on Baseball America's list of Top 100 High School Prospects… led the state last season with 114 strikeouts and was 6-1 with a 0.70 ERA… over the last four games of the season, struck out 58 in 29 innings with a personal-best of 16 against Southeast…

5/15 from Sickles mock: 48. Los Angeles (AL) - David Holmberg, LHP, Port Charlotte HS (FL) - When looking for a prep pitcher with good upside, look no farther than Florida. Holmberg's had a solid senior season, neither helping nor hurting his draft stock.

Fr. http://www.perfectgame.org/: David Holmberg is a 2009 LHP with a 6'4'', 215 lb. frame from Port Charlotte, FL who attends Port Charlotte. Holmberg is a big strong MLB build, very good direction, repeats delivery, throws easy, good curveball spin, deep 2 plane break, potential plus curveball, plus command potential, throws downhill, pitches high 80's touching 90, likes to throw fastball in, broke bats, maintains velo well, top level LHP prospect. Also shows power at the plate with strength in swing. He has signed with Florida

Fr. http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/ - David Holmberg is a jumbo-sized lefty from Port Charlotte High School who has signed with the University of Florida. This is my first look at him and I would grade his pitchability at the top of the high school class. His raw stuff isn’t at that first-round level, but his maturity, command, and poise most definitely are.

I can see Holmberg getting early-round consideration, perhaps sandwich or second. At 6-3, 230, Holmberg has a pear shape with thick hips and legs. His shoulders are broad but sloped. He’s very strong in his leg and core muscles, which are truly the drivers when it comes to pitching. That combined with easy over-the-top arm-action leads me to believe Holmberg will be able to pitch a lot of innings. Holmberg has a high-kick, well-balanced delivery that he repeats well.

He’s mostly a two-pitch pitcher, fastball and curve. Holmberg threw in the 87-89 MPH range for most of his seven innings of work in a 1-0 victory over Mike Ohlman’s Lakewood Ranch Mustangs. I don’t see the velocity improving much by age 23, but he should be able to maintain it over the long pro season every five days. What makes his fastball really work is its late boring action and his command. He struck out twelve and walked only one. Holmberg yielded only two hits (both to Ohlman). His boring fastball proved difficult to square.

#51 on BA's list of top 100 high schoolers earlier in the season. Not sure where he ranks currently. In fact, went right where he was slated, lots of mocks had him going in the 2nd round, Sickels on 5/15 had him going 51 to the Angels. Below are various reports that I found on the web. Sounds interesting. Like that he has good movement and he at least maintains his velocity.

5/15 from Sickles mock: 48. Los Angeles (AL) - David Holmberg, LHP, Port Charlotte HS (FL) - When looking for a prep pitcher with good upside, look no farther than Florida. Holmberg's had a solid senior season, neither helping nor hurting his draft stock.

Fr. http://www.perfectgame.org/: David Holmberg is a 2009 LHP with a 6'4'', 215 lb. frame from Port Charlotte, FL who attends Port Charlotte. Holmberg is a big strong MLB build, very good direction, repeats delivery, throws easy, good curveball spin, deep 2 plane break, potential plus curveball, plus command potential, throws downhill, pitches high 80's touching 90, likes to throw fastball in, broke bats, maintains velo well, top level LHP prospect. Also shows power at the plate with strength in swing. He has signed with Florida

Fr. http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/ - David Holmberg is a jumbo-sized lefty from Port Charlotte High School who has signed with the University of Florida. This is my first look at him and I would grade his pitchability at the top of the high school class. His raw stuff isn’t at that first-round level, but his maturity, command, and poise most definitely are.

I can see Holmberg getting early-round consideration, perhaps sandwich or second. At 6-3, 230, Holmberg has a pear shape with thick hips and legs. His shoulders are broad but sloped. He’s very strong in his leg and core muscles, which are truly the drivers when it comes to pitching. That combined with easy over-the-top arm-action leads me to believe Holmberg will be able to pitch a lot of innings. Holmberg has a high-kick, well-balanced delivery that he repeats well.

He’s mostly a two-pitch pitcher, fastball and curve. Holmberg threw in the 87-89 MPH range for most of his seven innings of work in a 1-0 victory over Mike Ohlman’s Lakewood Ranch Mustangs. I don’t see the velocity improving much by age 23, but he should be able to maintain it over the long pro season every five days. What makes his fastball really work is its late boring action and his command. He struck out twelve and walked only one. Holmberg yielded only two hits (both to Ohlman). His boring fastball proved difficult to square.