THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Quentin is more of a LF? How so. He came up as a RF, played RF in college, and has a very strong arm. I'd think his whole defensive skill set pointed to RF.

He gets poor reads on the ball and doesn't have good range. Quentin has good speed for a big, but little acceleration. If it weren't for the fact that Lfers are so bad defensively in general, I'd call Quentin a below average lf. However, based on his competition he's at least average, potential to be above average but he ain't there.

I laugh at some of the people in this thread pretending to be experts and saying it's inexcuseable to pass on a certain guy. It's the freaking MLB draft and we had the 23rd pick in the first round! None of you have any f***ing idea who is going to be good and who isn't in this draft, even the scouts who have seen these guys hundreds of times aren't entirely sure. We took a guy who is by all accouts a superb athlete with great talent who could turn out to be a star once he focuses on baseball entirely. Give me a break with the ripping of the pick when you have no idea yourself how it will turn out. It's not like we took some guy projected to go in the 30th round.

yep...im gonna say it cuz i know I'm not the only one thinking it....and people might torch me for saying this...but i think kenny williams gives preferential treatment to black players

If that's true, perhaps KW regrets not drafting Brothers. Probably thought he would get more than one black player.

I mean if you hate this pick then something is wrong with you. It's a definite hit or miss, but like I said I'll gladly take the gamble on all upside like this. I'm not a fan of Mitchel, but I do like the kid and his intangebles. I'm alot higher on him then when people were slurping C. Young when he was here. To me he's already our best OF potential wise in the minors. Now if he figures it out.. he's Sizemore basically, if not.. he'll be a worse bust than Joe Borchard. Just my two cents.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
He gets poor reads on the ball and doesn't have good range. Quentin has good speed for a big, but little acceleration. If it weren't for the fact that Lfers are so bad defensively in general, I'd call Quentin a below average lf. However, based on his competition he's at least average, potential to be above average but he ain't there.

I've never got a chance to watch him play much RF, but it looked to me his troubles in LF came from the fact he wasn't used to the spot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Does KW pick someone like E. Williams if he's there at 38?

He damn well might. I'm not opposed to it either. The Sox new drafting strategy is to get as much talent as possible. They did so already in Mitchell and Williams would fit the bill. I still expect them to opt for a pitcher but if a real good looking high school outfielder is there, one whom they were believed to like a lot at 23, well it be tough to pass on him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
I mean if you hate this pick then something is wrong with you. It's a definite hit or miss, but like I said I'll gladly take the gamble on all upside like this. I'm not a fan of Mitchel, but I do like the kid and his intangebles. I'm alot higher on him then when people were slurping C. Young when he was here. To me he's already our best OF potential wise in the minors. Now if he figures it out.. he's Sizemore basically, if not.. he'll be a worse bust than Joe Borchard. Just my two cents.

I'll still take Danks but I love that guy.