THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
He'd do well against the Sox, don't know how he'd be pitching for them...

Basically sounds like Buehrle. Fastball, changeup, curve. Lefty, smart PITCHER not thrower. I'm sure we could have gotten him later though.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
Basically sounds like Buehrle. Fastball, changeup, curve. Lefty, smart PITCHER not thrower. I'm sure we could have gotten him later though.

Don't be so sure. He was widely considered one of the better preps in the country. Went right around where he was projected or at least within 20 or so picks. I don't think a guy at this point who would go within a round of when you got him would be considered a reach, imo.

So far, I'll give this draft a meh.

Love the Phegley pick, really advanced hitter.

We addressed the need in the OF, but we drafted two pretty big projects. Right now both Mitchell and Thompson are more so athletes rather than baseball players. Would have prefered maybe Kipnis instead of Thompson. Or, I think it woulda been better to go with Gould at 61 and Max Walla at 71.

Holmberg is meh. Decent pick, maybe he can develop some more velocity.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
Callis flat out knows his s***. He's just running off facts without a sheet in front of him.

Callis is also the nicest guy around. Prolly bragging, but have him on my radio show at school bout twice per semester. Also see him around where I live and have talked with him. Super super nice.

I really, reaaly, really hope I am wrong, but I fear Mitchell is a wasted pick. I just don't know of any college hitter who strikes out 30% of his ABs having success in the majors. Hopefully Mitchell will step inj and prove me wrong...I just don't see it.