THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
I really, reaaly, really hope I am wrong, but I fear Mitchell is a wasted pick. I just don't know of any college hitter who strikes out 30% of his ABs having success in the majors. Hopefully Mitchell will step inj and prove me wrong...I just don't see it.

I agree, but this is a situation with a player being very raw comes in handy because there's still a lot of room for improvement.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
I immediately think of Justin Edwards when I think of this pick. Florida prep pitcher without overpowering stuff. Let's hope this one works out a bit better. There goes Walla, Jason. I'm sure you're a bit disappointed.

Exactly what I thought.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
We addressed the need in the OF, but we drafted two pretty big projects. Right now both Mitchell and Thompson are more so athletes rather than baseball players. Would have prefered maybe Kipnis instead of Thompson. Or, I think it woulda been better to go with Gould at 61 and Max Walla at 71.

Thompson is a HSer that is raking in California (thru 54 AB he was hitting .463 with 9 HR). I wouldn't say he is more athlete than ballplayer. Mitchell has those massive strikeout numbers to worry about, but Thompson has nothing to say he isn't a ballplayer.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
I really, reaaly, really hope I am wrong, but I fear Mitchell is a wasted pick. I just don't know of any college hitter who strikes out 30% of his ABs having success in the majors. Hopefully Mitchell will step inj and prove me wrong...I just don't see it.

I am also concerned about "Our Future Carl Crawford" batting 6th regularly for LSU.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
A little disappointed with tonight's happenings in the draft relating to the Sox.

Agreed, was not a fan of our 2nd round at all. I think getting Garret Gould and Max Walla would have been a lot better.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Thompson is a HSer that is raking in California (thru 54 AB he was hitting .463 with 9 HR). I wouldn't say he is more athlete than ballplayer. Mitchell has those massive strikeout numbers to worry about, but Thompson has nothing to say he isn't a ballplayer.

I was going off of what I read about Thompson. First time focusing on baseball, very raw, extremely athletic.

Cards get a great arm in Joe Kelly.