THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wont have as much info as dasox does...but i got a contact who used to work for the vandy team and now works for a tennessee based baseball agent that represents some decent names that just texted me "morgado is awful"

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
i wont have as much info as dasox does...but i got a contact who used to work for the vandy team and now works for a tennessee based baseball agent that represents some decent names that just texted me "morgado is awful"

Looks like he's got some good stuff... needs to work on his mechanics and command though.

We've had success the prior two years with guys in similar situations: Poreda, Hudson, and Carter.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
Morgado in 2009: 52 IPs, 55 H, 36 BB 75 K 6.36 ERA. Beautiful.

I would look at the stuff, rather than the numbers. Looks at the numbers Poreda, Hudson, and Carter had when we drafted them.

I'm really critical of this organization at times, but we've done a great job of developing pitchers with very good stuff but were projects... well, at least in the past 2 years.

Also, he'll likely sign for below slot money, so the White Sox love that.

I would look at the stuff, rather than the numbers. Looks at the numbers Poreda, Hudson, and Carter had when we drafted them.

I'm really critical of this organization at times, but we've done a great job of developing pitchers with very good stuff but were projects... well, at least in the past 2 years.

Don't usually agree with BearSox but he's been pretty much money today.

Unfortunately, I really can't tell you any more about Morgado than you can probably find in a scouting report or gather for yourself since I don't know the guy personally or anything. He looked pretty promising as a redshirt freshman for us in '08 when he was our Saturday starter. Everyone thought that he was just gonna tear it up this year considering he had a year of experience under his belt and his really good stuff. Unfortunately, he underperformed and got moved to the 'pen.

But, our whole team underperformed so I'm not sure it's not coaching that has caused problems for us. I mean, literally, almost every single player underachieved for Tennessee this year (particularly the pitching staff - e.g. Nick Hernandez, Morgado). Look at Kentrail Davis too. He was a Comp A round pick after his numbers went down in almost every category. I think that shows he has a ton of talent, but we didn't have the coaching to develop/harness it.

Anyway, when Morgado is on, he can just flat out overpower hitters, and that's evidenced by his 75 Ks in 52.1 IP. I really see this like a Daniel Hudson pick from last year where the guy has great stuff but bad numbers following a good year. I love the pick.

Oh, and from what I've been told, his mechanics are a bit screwy. Sounds like the perfect project for the other Sox minor league instructors and then Perdew when he hits that level.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I completely agree.

And add Nathan Jones to that list.

My grades:

23.) Jared Mitchel, C+ - Not terrible, but not great. Has a really high ceiling, his floor is extremely low. Boom or bust type of player. If he pans out though, he'll provide quite the offensive weapon at the top of the order we've been lacking.

38.) Josh Phegley, B- - I love this pick, but the only thing holding it back from an A is if he can stick behind the plate or not. Very developed and advanced bat and can really hit. Plus, the more I've read about him, the more I think he could stick behind the plate; supposedly really smart, calls a good game, and has a very strong arm.

61.) Trayce Thompson, C+ - Not a terrible pick, but there are some concerns. He's got a lot of upside and is very athletic, but is also very raw and looks to possibly be a tough sign. Would have really preferred Max Walla here if we wanted a HS OF.

71.) David Holmberg, D - Hate it. Looks like a repeat of the Justin Edwards pick from 2006. A lefty who lacks the stuff to be good, but is an advanced pitcher. Dream scenario for round 2 would have been Garret Gould at 61 and Max Walla at 71.

102.) Bryan Morgado, C - I like it. Seems to have really good stuff but is very raw and needs refinement. We've had success in the past with similar players, but this is still a high risk, high reward type of pick so early in the draft.

Overall, C

It's not terrible, but for a team that's on the verge of rebuilding, you would have like rather had seen a bit more talent and players who aren't so raw. Hopefully day 2 we snatch up some players like Luke Bailey and go over slot to sign them... however, that ain't happening.

Hopefully though, we'll draft Diego Seastrunk and Jabari Blash... that'd make this draft an automatic A

Edited by BearSox

I really see this like a Daniel Hudson pick from last year where the guy has great stuff but bad numbers following a good year. I love the pick.

I don't either.......

I see it more as a Dexter Carter pick but earlier. :P I got no idea on this guy, but if he has the stuff and has a fastball.. he could be a Dexter Carter type guy at least to start with, with a mechanic tweak.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
I can't see us drafting a guy in the first five rounds, at least, that we didn't know we could sign.

Andy Seiler: White Sox pick Trayce Thompson from Santa Margarita HS (CA). He’s going to take tons of money to sign, but he’s got HUGE upside.