8 teams scouted the double dip yesterday

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
apparently 3-4 of them were advanced scouts, but included in the mix were the Phillies and Cubs per Bruce Levine.

The Cubs and Sox play in a week so I don't know if there's a trade to be made there. Phillies are interesting. I wonder if Dotel is someone being dangled. Thornton has been lights out. Maybe give him the 7th or 8th even with Linebrink getting the other, and have Poreda come in depending on match-ups.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
They all came to see Wise

One can only hope. But, seriously I wouldn't put much stock in this stuff. You would think al teams including the Sox are always sending scouts out and about

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
The Sox have extra starters. Colon may not be great, Contreras may not be great, Richard could be good, Poreda could be good, and there are plenty of teams out there with NEEDS

You aren't going to get anything for Colon or Contreras, that's obvious. Poreda I can't see in the rotation. Richard obviously is available as he was traded before, but I really don't know if he has much value all by himself

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
The Sox have extra starters. Colon may not be great, Contreras may not be great, Richard could be good, Poreda could be good, and there are plenty of teams out there with NEEDS

And there are some pitchers in the minors as well, guys like Torres, who aren't huge value, but could be part of a deal, and would get a chance to start on other teams.

It has to be someone like Dotel. I bet the Cubs would love to add Dotel to the back end of their bullpen. If KW could trade Contreras it would be a miracle. He would have to eat alot, if not all of his contract.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
It has to be someone like Dotel. I bet the Cubs would love to add Dotel to the back end of their bullpen. If KW could trade Contreras it would be a miracle. He would have to eat alot, if not all of his contract.

I haven't tracked the Cubs lately, but weren't they having a hard time finding playing time for Reed Johnson at one point? If that is still true, he'd be a nice pick-up, but it would take more than Dotel to get him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
I haven't tracked the Cubs lately, but weren't they having a hard time finding playing time for Reed Johnson at one point? If that is still true, he'd be a nice pick-up, but it would take more than Dotel to get him.

Wait, what? More than Dotel to get a back-up outfielder? Dotel's one of the best relievers that will be available, and if we start unloading guys to get utility veterans, then KW needs to leave.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
A deal could be done where the Sox take on payroll, if JR approves. That wouldn't be subject to all of the extra redtape.

yea but I just dont see us adding too much to payroll if the deal involves the Cubs

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
You aren't going to get anything for Colon or Contreras, that's obvious. Poreda I can't see in the rotation. Richard obviously is available as he was traded before, but I really don't know if he has much value all by himself

No it isnt obvious. Im not saying they could be traded in a 1 for 1 deal(that would actually help the Sox), but either of those two could go in a larger deal and add rotation depth to another team.

Teams like the Brewers are always looking for arms

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Wait, what? More than Dotel to get a back-up outfielder? Dotel's one of the best relievers that will be available, and if we start unloading guys to get utility veterans, then KW needs to leave.

That's why I suggested (in another thread I think) we do Dotel+Anderson for Johnson+Prospect.

I think the reality is, Johnson is a large upgrade over Anderson, we don't know what Quentin's health will be like, and the numbers Johnson puts up aren't far below higher paid guys like Fukudome. If we can get him and a prospect, for Dotel, if the prospect is the right one, I'd do it. But then, I also think that Dotel is likely to go downhill the rest of this year.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
No it isnt obvious. Im not saying they could be traded in a 1 for 1 deal(that would actually help the Sox), but either of those two could go in a larger deal and add rotation depth to another team.

Teams like the Brewers are always looking for arms

Colon isn't going to add to a deal, neither will Contreras. Teams wouldn't take Contreras for nothing, and aren't going to throw Colon in their rotation for nothing either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Colon isn't going to add to a deal, neither will Contreras. Teams wouldn't take Contreras for nothing, and aren't going to throw Colon in their rotation for nothing either.

If Colon comes off the DL and has a few decent outings, we could probably get a John Link type of prospect out of him. He's cheap, and some contending teams don't have better options for the back end of the rotation. The Brewers seem like a team that could be interested.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
yea but I just dont see us adding too much to payroll if the deal involves the Cubs

I think Kenny would make a trade with Fidel Castro if he thought it would improve the Sox. He doesn't care about who he makes the deal with, all that matters is making the team better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)

HAHA

More than Dotel?

Dotel has considerably more value, especially as the trade deadline gets closer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
The Cubs would kill for anyone out of our pen right now.

They would and so would the Phillies. Who just lost their closer to the DL. I think we could get something solid for Dotel.