8 teams scouted the double dip yesterday

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
That's why I suggested (in another thread I think) we do Dotel+Anderson for Johnson+Prospect.

I think the reality is, Johnson is a large upgrade over Anderson, we don't know what Quentin's health will be like, and the numbers Johnson puts up aren't far below higher paid guys like Fukudome. If we can get him and a prospect, for Dotel, if the prospect is the right one, I'd do it. But then, I also think that Dotel is likely to go downhill the rest of this year.

We'd totally make that deal if we were the Pirates of a few years ago. Reed is a solid player but he's not worth Dotel alone, much less more than that.

Dotel has been nails since fully recovering from TJ and he was nails before getting hurt. The only obstacles in trading Dotel are his contract amount and the fact that due to his salary he's an unlikely candidate to be offered arb, even though he is a no-brainer Type A after the season.

Still, if Dotel has say $4M remaining when we trade him, if we agree to cover some of that salary or take back a similar salary on a 1-year commitment we'll get good players for him even if we're dealing with a team that is hamstrung by payroll.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Johnson for Dotel helps both teams. While we want to let the market go up for OD's value, we want to add a bat to the lineup before more of the year slips away.

Obviously we would want Reed and something of value in addition.

Reed Johnson would be a nice upgrade for the Sox. He had some nice stats with Toronto a couple of years ago before having some back problems. There are two things I can't tell very well from the stats. Is he a good fielder? Is he a good situational hitter? If Poreda is ready, then moving a bullpen arm for Johnson might be an upgrade.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
No it isnt obvious. Im not saying they could be traded in a 1 for 1 deal(that would actually help the Sox), but either of those two could go in a larger deal and add rotation depth to another team.

Teams like the Brewers are always looking for arms

Maybe the Brewers would take Jose if it allowed them to dump Bill Hall in the process. I wouldn't touch that one though.

The only deal I can see for Contreras is a deal that brings us another large salary in the process. A deal between two teams who each have a player they view as immovable sunk costs with the difference in ability being made up in prospects I could see as possible.

Contreras IIRC passed successfully through waivers 3 straight years in a row (2006-2009) and two of those years were in better economic climates.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Maybe the Brewers would take Jose if it allowed them to dump Bill Hall in the process. I wouldn't touch that one though.

The only deal I can see for Contreras is a deal that brings us another large salary in the process. A deal between two teams who each have a player they view as immovable sunk costs with the difference in ability being made up in prospects I could see as possible.

Contreras IIRC passed successfully through waivers 3 straight years in a row (2006-2009) and two of those years were in better economic climates.

Its better off seeing if he can help the Sox win and letting his contract expire at the end of the year. Maybe if he's hot and the Sox suck, some team may pick him up for the September drive but other than that, I don't see any team touching him based on one start, and no one is going to want Colon the way he's been throwing lately.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
That's why I suggested (in another thread I think) we do Dotel+Anderson for Johnson+Prospect.

I think the reality is, Johnson is a large upgrade over Anderson, we don't know what Quentin's health will be like, and the numbers Johnson puts up aren't far below higher paid guys like Fukudome. If we can get him and a prospect, for Dotel, if the prospect is the right one, I'd do it. But then, I also think that Dotel is likely to go downhill the rest of this year.

how about dotel and anderson for johnson and harden?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
It appears I don't value Dotel as much as others. I just don't see him as being as reliable as most people here, apparently.

I think if you review some of the deals in the past few years for relievers around the deadline, you'll get an idea of what we are alluding to. I think Dotel may have even fetched a few decent prospects himself when the Royals traded him to the Braves in 07', and that was his first year removed from surgery.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I think if you review some of the deals in the past few years for relievers around the deadline, you'll get an idea of what we are alluding to. I think Dotel may have even fetched a few decent prospects himself when the Royals traded him to the Braves in 07', and that was his first year removed from surgery.

Kyle Davies came over to the Royals. I would like to see Dotel stay in a Sox as long as we're in it though.