Fire Sale Prediction Thread

BearSox

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
There is absolutely nothing in the Cubs System I'd be willing to take back in exchange for Jenks.

Then send him to the Mets for Wilmer Flores and/or Fernando Martinez.

Is there anyway the Cardinals would take Jenks, Anderson, and Carrasco for Rasmus? Doubtful.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)

Is there anyway the Cardinals would take Jenks, Anderson, and Carrasco for Rasmus? Doubtful.

The answer is going to be "Doubtful" any time you ask the question "Would a team give up fair value for Bobby Jenks". Quite simply, if someone else doesn't give up the player they don't want to give up for anyone, then we have no reason to move him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
If Jenks goes to the Cubs, it better be for Hoffpauir and maybe even Colvin.

Oh my god, that would also be absolutely f***ing awful. That would be like trading Jenks for Kyle McCulloch and Brad Eldred (I know he's not with the club anymore, but he's the first AAAA slugger I could think of that was last on the White Sox).

If you trade Jenks and are going to go the prospect route, you need to get two top 100 baseball prospects, preferably at least one who is considered an "impact" prospect.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)

The Mets have zero need at closer, they have Krod and than JJ Putz in the back of there pen. Cards have been getting good performance out of there closer as well, so I wouldn't put it as a need for them, although I don't really buy into there closer. They probably don't trade Rasmus cause they love him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)
How bout Jenks for Coco Crisp, DeJesus and Gordon?

Or Jenks for Soriano and a minor leaguer.

Or Jenks for Kemp and a prospect.

Or keep Jenks. I like him still.

1. Why would the Royals give that much to a team in division.

2. No one's trading Soriano (one of the better OF's in the game) for a closer

3. Jonathan Broxton is pretty much a younger Bobby Jenks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)

2. No one's trading Soriano (one of the better OF's in the game) for a closer

3. Jonathan Broxton is pretty much a younger Bobby Jenks.

LOL!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)

2. No one's trading Soriano (one of the better OF's in the game) for a closer3. Jonathan Broxton is pretty much a younger Bobby Jenks.

Alfonso? He's productive, but the Cubs would dumb that contract in a second if they could

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 07:37 AM)
That's my line of thinking too. As long as we have a decent pitching core and pen. Our young guys could have a decent chance of competing for a pennant. I'd leave Vicedo down until next year, but i'd only have a few reservations with beginning the major league acclimation process for Danks, Flowers, Allen and Link after the trade deadline.

The thing is, even if the Sox do trade Dye, Thome, Dotel, or even Jenks for prospects, I could still see KW go out and bring in some free agents to keep this team competitive during this transition. For instance, I could see KW signing guys like Carl Crawford who will be 28 next year. I could also see KW signing Figgins to a 2 year deal just to remain somewhat balanced as far as youth and veterans.

I could easily see this next year:

Figgins 2b

Crawford RF

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Beckham 3B

Viciedo DH

Danks CF

This team could definitley compete in the AL Central. As long as the starting pitching is there. I think KW needs to find one more legit starter. I would LOVE Haren. Maybe this winter offer Arizona- Poreda, Richard and Getz. With that lineup and a rotation of Haren, Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, not only would we be a very young team, but a team that can do damage in the playoffs.

Who knows what KW has planned though. . he could very well not spend a dime this offseason. I just don't seeing him doing that. . .

Crawford has a 2010 option, so there's a good chance he remains in Tampa unless they feel 10 million is too much to spend on him and that Desmond Jennings is ready and/or they feel they need to make room for other players. However, I doubt they'll let him go, and even if they do, with the season he's been having, he's gonna price himself out of our range... plus, we already drafted Mitchell who's suppossed to become our Carl Crawford. With that being said though, I'd love to get Crawford on a 3 year deal to man LF until Mitchell is hopefully ready.

Also, Figgins seems like a lock to be signed by us next year. If I had to predict our lineup for next year, I'd say it'd look something like:

1. Figgins, 3B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, RF/LF

4. Thome, DH (brought back on a cheap deal... if we suck, he can put fans in seats when he hopefully approaches 600)

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Pierzynski, C (we could see Flowers at some point)

7. FA/Someone via trade, RF/LF

8. Beckham, 2B

9. Danks, CF

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Oh my god, that would also be absolutely f***ing awful. That would be like trading Jenks for Kyle McCulloch and Brad Eldred (I know he's not with the club anymore, but he's the first AAAA slugger I could think of that was last on the White Sox).

If you trade Jenks and are going to go the prospect route, you need to get two top 100 baseball prospects, preferably at least one who is considered an "impact" prospect.

I don't like Kenny's definition of "Impact", i.e. Lillibridge, Getz, Fields, Owens. Beckham doesn't count, he wasn't in our plans for this year until we started playing like trash

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Jake Fox is most likely a AAAA player. I wouldn't at all make a trade for Jenks without getting at least two upper echelon prospects in return. We have no need to move Jenks and he's paid just fine and is still very young and under our control for a bit longer.

Vitters would have to be part of the trade and there is no way the Cubs deal him. Plus the rest of the Cubs system is pretty piss poor so they aren't a good partner, imo.

agreed the cubs system is incredibly piss poor, and any dealings the cubs look to make Vitters name will be brought up. Personally i wouldnt mind Guzman either.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
I would. If they need a DH, they'd be more likely to move Paulie to that spot (everyone in the organization loves him), or give a one- or two-year deal to Thome because they want a left-handed bat. Plus, Dye is the only one of the three without a severely-restricting NTC, so he'd be the only one that they'd be able to deal. I love me some JD, but he's most likely the odd man out.

Dye actually becomes a 10/5 player after this season, so he is the most likely impacting candidate on the MLB roster to be traded this season. And Konerko essentially does not have a NTC, as he has said in the past that he would waive it if the Sox felt the move was for the best of the organization (and they wouldn't move him to hurt the franchise).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
Crawford has a 2010 option, so there's a good chance he remains in Tampa unless they feel 10 million is too much to spend on him and that Desmond Jennings is ready and/or they feel they need to make room for other players. However, I doubt they'll let him go, and even if they do, with the season he's been having, he's gonna price himself out of our range... plus, we already drafted Mitchell who's suppossed to become our Carl Crawford. With that being said though, I'd love to get Crawford on a 3 year deal to man LF until Mitchell is hopefully ready.

Also, Figgins seems like a lock to be signed by us next year. If I had to predict our lineup for next year, I'd say it'd look something like:

1. Figgins, 3B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, RF/LF

4. Thome, DH (brought back on a cheap deal... if we suck, he can put fans in seats when he hopefully approaches 600)

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Pierzynski, C (we could see Flowers at some point)

7. FA/Someone via trade, RF/LF

8. Beckham, 2B

9. Danks, CF

If you believe you can depend on Quentin to actually play in the field - I do believe that you have to give it atleast one more season worth of trying, and beyond that, he can become the full-time DH, and if he can't stay healthy beyond that, then he may not stay healthy at all - then Figgins becomes the LFer and the Sox would use Viciedo, Fields, or a stopgap (be it Beckham with Getz at 2B, or a 1 year free agent). The Sox have had absolutely no qualms with putting less than optimal offensive players at offensive positions.

I still think Brian Anderson is a wild card. I will not drop that until he is with another organization.

I'm not convinced at all that Figgins will be with the Sox next year unless he can be had relatively cheap. With all the talented young hitters in the system I'm convinced that the Sox will look to spend their money on a proven starting pitcher. Their pursuit of Jake Peavy backs this up. I see the lineup more like this.

Danks CF

Ramirez SS or 2B

Quentin LF/RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Beckham 2B or SS

Fields/Viciedo 3B

Cheaper FA perhaps Randy Winn LF/RF

With Contreras off the books it could give the Sox a chance to go after Brandon Webb or Erik Bedard and have a scary rotation. By the way, do whatever it takes to extend Matt Thornton.

I garuntee you KW will pursue Figgins this winter. Fields is the odd man out, he will likely be traded this winter. I'm not sure about Thome being DH though, i guess i wouldn't mind it for one more year, via you still have Konerko and AJ under contract for one more season anyway. This would give Flowers, Allen and Viciedo one more season to develop in the minors. Have you guys noticed the increase in production out of Viciedo? He has definitley improved since the begining of the year which is promising. With about 40 million plus coming off the books, i definitley see KW going after a starting pitcher and Carl Crawford (if Tampa doesn't take that option). They wouldn't draft a guy with similar tools as Crawford if they didn't like the guy.

As far as the Haren dream goes: His is due 8.25 mil in 2010 and 12.75 mil in '11 and '12. Which would be a perfect acquisition for KW and JR as they hate giving starting pitchers anything longer than 3-4 years.

Even while we get younger, im keeping the Haren dream ALIVE!!

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
I don't like Kenny's definition of "Impact", i.e. Lillibridge, Getz, Fields, Owens. Beckham doesn't count, he wasn't in our plans for this year until we started playing like trash

So how about Viciedo, Gilmore, and Flowers?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
I have a question...

If Quentin didn't break his hand last year, would people still think he's injury prone?

Given his injury history in Arizona, I'd say probably.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
I have a question...

If Quentin didn't break his hand last year, would people still think he's injury prone?

That actually has no effect on why I fear future injuries on him. Being injured 2-3 separate times this season with injuries in the same area but never really the same injury are why I think he's a bit injury prone. That and his shoulder issues in Arizona.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
The Mets have zero need at closer, they have Krod and than JJ Putz in the back of there pen. Cards have been getting good performance out of there closer as well, so I wouldn't put it as a need for them, although I don't really buy into there closer. They probably don't trade Rasmus cause they love him.

You do realize Putz just went down for 2-3 months with elbow bone spurs right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
You do realize Putz just went down for 2-3 months with elbow bone spurs right?

at the tiem I made the post, no, but I read it earlier today. Still, they aren't going to have two closers, long term it wouldn't work, imo.