Wise - "Keep Booing Me"

Heads22

Hello......... baseball is what he is paid to do! I do not care If he is nice or not has nothing to do with wins or losses!

I don't want to get banned for saying the same thing over and over so I guess we agree to disagree. I simply don't see the point of booing some guy who is and always will be a horses*** player. It's like kicking a dead horse. What point is there? I like to think about what I'd tell my nephew if he was at the game with me and I was booing Wise.

"Uncle Greg. Why are you booing him?"

Cause he sucks.

"Oh."

If we are going by performance a lot of our guys would deserve to be booed on a fairly regular basis on our team. I won't post any more about booing him. Go ahead and boo him if that's your cup of tea.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Booing a player might encourage those in charge to get rid of a player.

Wise is what he is. A little guy with a good work ethic and a lot of heart. I watched him during spring training what is he 31 or so has made it to the big league albeit not the greatest talent but I don't believe it is because a lack of effort. Booing somebody should be they're lazy and don't try. Not going after a foul ball or jogging instead of running. That I've not seen from Wise instead I see a man trying his hardest but coming up a little short on talent. KW and Ozzie putting him out to start batting him 5th is just gross mismanagement. Imagine platooning a player to only face right handed pitching and still only mustering a .133 average or playing someone like Wise who can't hit lefties and expectint different results. No, Dwayne isn't a great player but he is a player that lacks talent. Ozzie is a manager that doesn't understand that grinderness which I think Wise has can trump talent. It can't. Ozzie, K.w. are responsible for not having a better centerfielder. I believe Wise does play 100% but just lacks talent. I guess we should just groan. Booing someone does a lot for one's self esteem especially when the person we're booing is doing his best. He'll never be an all star. No matter what. But maybe if Ozzie insists on playing him we don't cheer for him rather than boo him Dwayne might surprise us and hit .200.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
Booing sends a message, we pay good money to watch our Sox, and dont want to watch this garbage player on the field.

Does it really matter what garbage player they stick out there? Thats what all of our CF options in the organization are at this time. Wise and Anderson both have flashes of being an average player, but basically they are both fourth OF's at best. So we should get rid of Wise so we can bring Lillibridge back up? There is no better than option than Wise right now and KW has had a lot of struggles with acquiring a legit CF. Danks2 is probably the best option in the organization but is a year from being ready. So were stuck in holding pattern, since we are in rebuilding mode there is no sense in wasting prospects to go out and acquire someone who will just be blocking a player like DanksII or Shelby next season. Wise is a placeholder along with Anderson until better internal options are ready.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Does it really matter what garbage player they stick out there? Thats what all of our CF options in the organization are at this time. Wise and Anderson both have flashes of being an average player, but basically they are both fourth OF's at best. So we should get rid of Wise so we can bring Lillibridge back up? There is no better than option than Wise right now and KW has had a lot of struggles with acquiring a legit CF. Danks2 is probably the best option in the organization but is a year from being ready. So were stuck in holding pattern, since we are in rebuilding mode there is no sense in wasting prospects to go out and acquire someone who will just be blocking a player like DanksII or Shelby next season. Wise is a placeholder along with Anderson until better internal options are ready.

No runs. No RBI's. No extra-base hits. 1 walk. A .133 average.

You can't honestly say there aren't better options. I'm certain that David Cook (who is not even a real prospect) could out-produce those numbers in 10 at-bats. That's how bad Dwayne Wise is relative to all other CF's in baseball.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:45 AM)
Booing a player might encourage those in charge to get rid of a player.

If Sox management can't see what they have in Wise then booing him probably isn't going to help open their eyes. I hand it to Dwayne on his fielding, but he is criticized even there for his shallow play in CF. How long doers it take to gte your timing and rythm back when returning from injury? I don't know, but we can't afford to keep an automatic out in the lineup

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
No runs. No RBI's. No extra-base hits. 1 walk. A .133 average.

You can't honestly say there aren't better options. I'm certain that David Cook (who is not even a real prospect) could out-produce those numbers in 10 at-bats. That's how bad Dwayne Wise is relative to all other CF's in baseball.

Exactly. There may not be any GREAT options, but there are sure as heck better ones. There are even a number of pitchers, apparently including some on the White Sox, who can hit better than that.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
What's the alternative? Cheer him for contributing nothing, and hoping KW gets the hint?

Dont go to the games, nothing states the case of fan displeasure like an empty stadium. No one is saying that you have to cheer the guy, it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to boo a band aid solution for being a band aid solution. Its like booing the grass for being green.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
Dont go to the games, nothing states the case of fan displeasure like an empty stadium. No one is saying that you have to cheer the guy, it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to boo a band aid solution for being a band aid solution. Its like booing the grass for being green.

Whereas your solution is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Do nothing. When Wise comes up...sit down. Watch the pitcher. Watch Cox at third giving signs. See if you can see Hawk in the booth. Scope out the chicks. Get a beer...or nachos...or a brat. Go to the bathroom. Or better yet...why don't you cheer for the laundry and forget who's wearing it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
You don't boycott a team, because of one player. You instead boo that player, while rooting for the team.

The player is a part of the team, so booing the player is not rooting for the team. It hurts the team in the way that you have a guy that is struggling and pressing and then you have the added pressure of the home fans booing him constantly, thats a lot of pressure to put on a guy that just isnt that good to begin with.

The argument in this thread is that you are not booing the player, you are booing the organization and Ozzie for running him out there, you dont send those people a message by giving them your money. And it is never one player, it is always the player of the moment that takes the brunt of the criticism, Wise, Ramirez, Floyd, Lillibridge, Anderson, Fields and now wise again have all filled that role so far this season.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Do nothing. When Wise comes up...sit down. Watch the pitcher. Watch Cox at third giving signs. See if you can see Hawk in the booth. Scope out the chicks. Get a beer...or nachos...or a brat. Go to the bathroom. Or better yet...why don't you cheer for the laundry and forget who's wearing it.

I think this is the best solution.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I don't boo Wise, but there are some frustration boos that he gets from me. He is way better than Lillibridge.

I'm not sure he is. Lillibridge couldn't hit either, but Lilli plays good or plus defense at multiple positions, whereas Wise is a below average outfielder. I think I'd rather have Lillibridge on the team and try like hell to get him to shorten his swing.

The thing that I am complaining about here is that the opportunity to see if there is anyone in AAA or AA that could produce anything, hell an average of .200 is an improvment is being wasted.

When Quentin comes back Wise hopefully is let go. What was the benefit of anything Wise did this year? There was achance to get Kroeger or Coook at-bats and at least see what they have. Could they have a Ryan Ludwick type year, who knows.

The fact that Wise replaces Dye or Podsednik is really an indictment of a very poor personnel decision by either KW or Guillen in that they would rather have the most worthless player to play for the Sox in as long as I can remember, he makes me wish for Julio Ramirez, rather than give a AAAA type guy a shot.

Wise is not even an AAAA guy, how he has stuck around is amazing to me.

KW really struggles to fill his bench as Julio Ramirez and Luis Terraro can attest to.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
Does anyone wish that Nick Swisher was still on our roster FWIW?

I really dont. I could just see them trying to force him in the lineup at all times and watching his average plummet again just like it is right now.

His body language spoke volumes at the end of the year last year, he didnt want to be with the White Sox as much as they didnt want him on the team.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
Does anyone wish that Nick Swisher was still on our roster FWIW?

If it was the same Swisher who ended 2008 no. Obviously he would be an upgrade over Wise, Anderson, the way he is currently playing.

At first I thought he was hitting so well because of the new stadium, but he has actually been raking away from home with a 1.073 OPS.