Wise - "Keep Booing Me"

Heads22

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
If it was the same Swisher who ended 2008 no. Obviously he would be an upgrade over Wise, Anderson, the way he is currently playing.

At first I thought he was hitting so well because of the new stadium, but he has actually been raking away from home with a 1.073 OPS.

He's become such a valuable player for the Yankees especially since Nady went down with that shoulder injury.

But I agree that it was best for both parties to move on, and we had to cut some salary somewhere.

It was probably either Swisher or Dye that had to go in the end.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Yes, hell yes. I love the energy he brought to the team, and anybody could have told you that he'd rebound from what he did last year.

Yeah Swisher has tons of energy when he is doing well. He is starting to fall back into what he is, a bad hitter now though. I predict he will be public enemy number one over there in a couple months.

Wise is hitting .133/.170/.133, which is a .304 OPS. Think about that for a minute; it's unbelievably miserable. Now, MLB features plenty of legitimate players or promising prospects who deserve the benefit of the doubt despite a 45 at bat stretch that terrible. Wise is unquestionably not one of those players: he's only earned just over 500 major league at bats through his 31st birthday and he's hit an ugly .207/.246/.363 in those at bats. I doubt any player in the league is less deserving of a roster spot and we have at least half a dozen better outfield options just on our major and minor league rosters (Fields, Restovich, Danks, Shelby, etc.), not to mention via trade or free agency. The fact that Kenny and Ozzie are giving him substantial playing time when we're allegedly in the midst of a playoff race is disgraceful. Personally, I don't boo Sox players but I think that when a team perpetrates this sort of atrocity, extreme responses are justified, even if they're a little bit misguided.

Edited by Jeremy

Does anyone wish that Nick Swisher was still on our roster FWIW?

No.

He got off to a great start and has sucked as my horrific fantasy team can attest.

He is a miserable baseball player.

Also on the booing, you know Oz does read his emails. So why not email him daily blasting him?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Except for the massive track record that suggests that he isn't. Whatever you want to make impulsive, statistically illogical statements based on one year, go ahead.

Where's this massive track record of Swisher's?

Swisher's career line of .244/.357/.456 is far from impressive. Kevin Millar has a better line than that. So does Matt Stairs. So does Trot Nixon. Maybe he's not miserable but he's not very good either. I don't want that dude on my team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
Except for the massive track record that suggests that he isn't. Whatever you want to make impulsive, statistically illogical statements based on one year, go ahead.

Swisher is no more than an adequate Major League player who is capable of both insane hot streaks and pathetic cold streaks with the ability to play average defense at multiple positions.

Swisher is an "ok" player, not a good one. People get carried away talking about his OBP making him a better player, which along with a respectable amount of power just makes him an "average to slightly above average" player instead of a "poor" player. Swisher doesn't have the SLG and isn't consistent enough to be considered good. If his OPS was consistently around .900, then we'd be talking.

I feel kinda bad for the guy, but at the same time he has to realize where he's playing and that we are the kind of fans that love you when you're hot and hate you when you're cold... usually just best to keep your mouth shut.

At this point I'm just wondering what real effect our media issues and org issues are having on us signing good players.

QUOTE (sox1844 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
I feel kinda bad for the guy, but at the same time he has to realize where he's playing and that we are the kind of fans that love you when you're hot and hate you when you're cold... usually just best to keep your mouth shut.

At this point I'm just wondering what real effect our media issues and org issues are having on us signing good players.

I don't love Wise when he's hot, because when he's hot he's an average MLB player. That's it.

This is Ozzie’s criteria for getting Wise in the lineup. God, I hope three hits in the week doesn’t entail a hot streak.

" Dewayne Wise wants more at-bats? Sox manager Ozzie Guillen offered a way for the outfielder to reach that goal.

For some reason, I like this guy in the lineup,” Guillen said. “(Saturday,) he stole a base, he can run from first to third, he can do a lot of stuff. But I can’t get swinging at balls bouncing at the plate and (crap) every other pitch. He’s got to give me better at-bats. You want to play more often, get more at-bats? Give me better at-bats.” http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/163320...soxntbk.article

He helped win a game or two and that's important. If he is going to be a part of this team then obviously he needs to produce and he did. I don't see him as more than the 4th or 5th outfielder, but regrdless when he plays he needs to step up. I believe he was rushed back from injury rehab and that was keeping him from doing well.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:19 AM)
Where's this massive track record of Swisher's?

Swisher's career line of .244/.357/.456 is far from impressive. Kevin Millar has a better line than that. So does Matt Stairs. So does Trot Nixon. Maybe he's not miserable but he's not very good either. I don't want that dude on my team.

He's a guy who can play league-average CF, and be a plus on the corners and at 1b. Who has a career OBP of .356 and averages 24 HRS and 86 RBI's. That's not miserable, that's not bad, and he's been doing this for years.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
What happened to BA's .436 slugging% from last season? Last I checked, his slugging was lower than his OBP.

He's been almost entirely a singles hitter, even when he's doing a good job and getting on base a lot. I figured he would be able to reconcile hitting for contact and hitting for power but he hasn't. I doubt if he ever does now that I've seen him get an extended amount of uninterrupted playing time for the first time since '06.

Is it obvious to any of you that the reason Oz loves playing Wise is the idea he might get on base and then Oz can run?

To me, it's that simple. Oz salivated over the weekend when he had enough pieces (that got on base) to finally be able to hit and run and run.

Wise, who may suck, at least fits the description.

I love BA's defense, but I would suspect pretty soon, if not now, we'll be seeing Wise against all righties.

For the record, I prefer BA in the lineup everyday, but I think it's obvious why Oz plays Wise. Oz is DESPERATE for some speed.

This should be BA's last year with the White Sox. Either trade him for another failed prospect in the offseason, or include him in a package deal. The same could likely go for Fields. Hopefully Wise will be gone in the offseason as well.