Tim Floyd quits as USC Basketball coach

Link.

USC men's basketball coach Tim Floyd has resigned, The Clarion Ledger newspaper of Jackson, Miss. is reporting.

The newspaper quoted a letter it said Floyd submitted today to USC athletic director Mike Garrett:

"As of 1 p.m. today, I am resigning as head basketball coach at the University of Southern California. I deeply appreciate the opportunity afforded me by the university, as well as the chance to know and work with some of the finest young men in college athletics. Unfortunately, I know longer feel I can offer the level of enthusiasm to my duties that is deserved by the university, my coaching staff, my players, their families, and the supporters of Southern Cal. I always promised my self and my family that if I ever felt I could no longer give my full enthusiasm to a job, that I should leave it to others who could. I intend to contact my coaching staff and my players in coming days and weeks to tell them how much each of them means to me. I wish the best to USC and to my successor."

USC's basketball and football programs are being investigated by the NCAA. Floyd has been accused of giving an envelope of money to Rodney Guillory, a representative of a sports agent and the man credited with guiding O.J. Mayo to USC. The accusation was made in May by former Guillory and Mayo associate Louis Johnson, who earlier said Guillory had received hundreds of thousands of dollars from the agent and funneled some of the money to Mayo.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Major sanctions must be on the way to the USC basketball program for him to quit like that. /captain obvious

yeah, he can just be like Calipari and move on to another great job and when he's doing well at that school with dirty players ESPN can just completely ignore his past

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
yeah, he can just be like Calipari and move on to another great job and when he's doing well at that school with dirty players ESPN can just completely ignore his past

If the allegations are true, he would have been fired anyway. Smart move for him. Even though he's a jackass.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
If the allegations are true, he would have been fired anyway. Smart move for him. Even though he's a jackass.

oh I agree, the way the system is set up he may as well done what he did, I'm just saying that the media will completely ignore that when he left UMass and UM there were major questions about the program