FutureSox: Jared Mitchell Story

danman31

BA's Full Scouting Report:

Scouting Report: Mitchell wanted $1 million to give up football and sign out of high school, when he flashed first-round talent and dropped to the Twins in the 10th round because of signability. Three years later, he has put himself in position to go in the first round and receive that seven-figure bonus. Louisiana State football coach Les Miles gave Mitchell the spring off to focus on baseball, and the extra work has paid off. The best athlete in college baseball, Mitchell is an electric 6-foot, 192-pounder with plus-plus speed and power potential. He was hitting a career-high .325 with a week to go in the regular season, and he has dramatically improved his plate discipline. He still strikes out a lot because he concentrates so much on taking pitches that he often falls behind in the count. His swing needs work too, as he'll have to spread out for more balance and use less of an uppercut in pro ball. Mitchell flies down the line from the left side and steals bases on sheer speed, and he'll be a terror once he gets better reads and jumps. He plays right field for Louisiana State but easily has enough range to move to center. His defense also needs refinement, as he tends to drift on fly balls. His arm is his lone below-average tool, but it will play fine in center field. A reserve wide receiver on the Tigers' 2007 national championship football team, Mitchell has a passion for baseball and is ready to give up the gridiron. He'll need more development time than most college players, but he also has the potential to become the next Carl Crawford.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
The picks been growing on me over the last couple of hours. He has too much skill in every area to write off.

maybe it's the past of Sox picks getting ripped, but I was encouraged that none of the "experts" ripped the pick, in fact many praised it as a very good pick, specifically John Hart on MLBN

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
The couraging thing about Mitchell is that by his senior year his K/BB rate had gotten to almost one. The kid seems to be learning the strike zone.

*encouraging.

Unless you think he's a brave motherf***er!

I saw a little bit of him in the Super REgionals...the dude is HUGE! He is built like a football player. I can see him developing more power as he gets older. Good lord...the guns on him. He has a nice swing and above average speed, from what I saw. Very excited about this pick from the limited amount of time I've seen him.

One thing that worries me is how his walk numbers didn't just increase, but they drastically increase. He went from having only 15 in 08 to 52 in 09, and that's a huge increase. I'm not saying he hasn't made improvements to his plate discipline, but thats a huge increase in one year and his strikeouts went up. I don't know...

They say his strikeouts went up because he tended to go down looking a lot. It was the first season where he had an extended time to practice baseball as he was granted a break by the football coach and he improved tremendously. Everything that has been written about him (and I'll have to go off of that cause I haven't seen the guy play more than once or twice (on tv) and watched some video) talks about how much he's improved each and every season. To me thats a great thing, especially when this will be the first time he's ever focused solely on baseball.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
Nice writeups, guys. Morgado seems like a throwaway pick.

Why is that? Were Hudson and Carter "throwaway" picks last year? B/c they're essentially the same type of pitchers as Morgado. And Morgado is a lefty.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
One thing that worries me is how his walk numbers didn't just increase, but they drastically increase. He went from having only 15 in 08 to 52 in 09, and that's a huge increase. I'm not saying he hasn't made improvements to his plate discipline, but thats a huge increase in one year and his strikeouts went up. I don't know...

I don't understand how this is a bad thing.

This guy seems like he's pretty raw, I don't think from looking at his scouting report and numbers that he will ever develop any significant power, but I suppose if he could slug around .400, he'd be a decent leadoff hitting prospect. Seems that as of right now, undeveloped, he is a straight up speed/defense player.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I don't understand how this is a bad thing.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but that much of an increase in walks and the fact his K's haven't gone down could seem kind of like a fluke. I'm not saying he hasn't made improvements, but I question how much of an improvement.

And Jason, you said a lot of his K's came from taking too many pitches, that's scary. I call that Nick Swisher syndrome. Hopefully we can get that out of him. We love walks, but don't be overly patient up there. If you see a good pitch, hit it!

I also hope he really improves his swing. There isn't much weight shift going on, he's not really striding at all, and he's basically all arms in his swing.

No doubt there's a lot of potential though, and he'll be quite a project. My biggest fear is can our team develop him? This is where we'll see how much of an impact Buddy Bell has.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but that much of an increase in walks and the fact his K's haven't gone down could seem kind of like a fluke. I'm not saying he hasn't made improvements, but I question how much of an improvement.

And Jason, you said a lot of his K's came from taking too many pitches, that's scary. I call that Nick Swisher syndrome. Hopefully we can get that out of him. We love walks, but don't be overly patient up there. If you see a good pitch, hit it!

I also hope he really improves his swing. There isn't much weight shift going on, he's not really striding at all, and he's basically all arms in his swing.

No doubt there's a lot of potential though, and he'll be quite a project. My biggest fear is can our team develop him? This is where we'll see how much of an impact Buddy Bell has.

yeah, outside of his one year with the Sox, he's been a very good player and if the Sox had him this year they would be better, even with his 92 OPS+ of last year

Edited by SoxFan562004

:unsure: :wacko: :blink: :stick

And to think you were right on the money with most of your post yesterday. What happened? I think the signings of Gilbert and Iglasius today from the Bears has gotten your head too "spinny" today. :P

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
yeah, outside of his one year with the Sox, he's been a very good player and if the Sox had him this year they would be better, even with his 92 OPS+ of last year

I don't consider someone that streaky, with a career average of .244 and guaranteed for 130+ K's good, I'm sorry. Unless he's hitting 35+ homers with 100+ runs driven in every year, no thanks.

The only thing that might have been stupider than trading for him was trading him for crap.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
:unsure: :wacko: :blink: :stick

And to think you were right on the money with most of your post yesterday. What happened? I think the signings of Gilbert and Iglasius today from the Bears has gotten your head too "spinny" today. :P

No, I'm perfectly fine. I didn't even know we signed them, good to hear.

As for Mitchell though, he's got a ton of work to do. IMO, he's basically a HS player we drafted. However, apparently he's a real good base runner, and he might have some plate discipline. There's a ton of work to do, and lets hope our system can for once develop some one.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
I don't consider someone that streaky, with a career average of .244 and guaranteed for 130+ K's good, I'm sorry. Unless he's hitting 35+ homers with 100+ runs driven in every year, no thanks.

The only thing that might have been stupider than trading for him was trading him for crap.

his OBP alone makes this lineup better. Maybe if this team was riddled with guys who would take pitches and work a count so a starter doesn't last 7 innings and we run smack into the setup man and the closer, then I might tend to agree. He would make this lineup better.