SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
I wonder if the Sox took Goodwin with the intent to make a hard push on him if they can't get Thompson signed?

Hopefully they'll just sign them both and Williams...I'm being way too optimistic there, right?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
I wonder if the Sox took Goodwin with the intent to make a hard push on him if they can't get Thompson signed?

With our lack of good young OF, I REALLY hope we make a strong push at both. I would be sorely dissapointed if neither gets signed, happy if one does, and estatic if both do.

But really, with our reaches that we made, we should be able to pony up the money to get both, IMO.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Hopefully they'll just sign them both and Williams...I'm being way too optimistic there, right?

Probably but they easily have the money to do so. Problem is the Sox don't go well over slot because you have to basically talk to MLB who frowns upon it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Probably but they easily have the money to do so. Problem is the Sox don't go well over slot because you have to basically talk to MLB who frowns upon it.

It also comes down to the kids just not wanting to sign yet. Being drafted so late and thought so highly of, I could easily see Goodwin just going to college unless we offered him an insane and unrealistic bonus.

Based on their track record, it's hard for me to get excited about the Sox signing some of these guys that are going to command a lot. But, at the same time, I do truly feel the Sox are moving in the right direction with the farm system and realize what getting these types of talent would mean. I really don't know what they'll do. But as you said about Thompson, unless they were just being careless, there's no way they draft him where they did without having a pretty good idea what it would take to sign him AND be willing to give what he'll ask for.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
We didn't draft any catchers after Phegley, did we?

So I'm guessing our two Rookie Ball catchers will be Phegley and Dubler. Unless we draft another one soon-ish, then maybe Phegley goes to Kanny.

Not as of yet. I'm sticking around for the 29th, but need to leave shortly.

Seastrunk is still available I believe (havent checked in about 10 mins tho, which is a long time in this stage). He would be a solid pick up but would require overslot at this point to keep him from going back to school.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Seastrunk is still available I believe (havent checked in about 10 mins tho, which is a long time in this stage). He would be a solid pick up but would require overslot at this point to keep him from going back to school.

I haven't seen his name, but haven't been paying all that much attention.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
It also comes down to the kids just not wanting to sign yet. Being drafted so late and thought so highly of, I could easily see Goodwin just going to college unless we offered him an insane and unrealistic bonus.

Based on their track record, it's hard for me to get excited about the Sox signing some of these guys that are going to command a lot. But, at the same time, I do truly feel the Sox are moving in the right direction with the farm system and realize what getting these types of talent would mean. I really don't know what they'll do. But as you said about Thompson, unless they were just being careless, there's no way they draft him where they did without having a pretty good idea what it would take to sign him AND be willing to give what he'll ask for.

I hope you are right because as someone said earlier, he was a compensatory pick, we don't get that back if he does not sign.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Seastrunk is giong back to school. No one is going to give him big money since he has limited upside, imo. If you give big money to a guy later in the draft it has to be someone with a lot of upside, imo.

Is he a soph eligible or junior? He may raise his stock but his price wont if he comes out as a senior. Those guys have no bargaining chips.