SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Black's slow ass?!?! BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! I can't believe a guy who I "sorta" hung out with at Purdue (mind you I didn't go there, just passed by alot on campus/hitting on women :D) got drafted by us. Very cool. He, Andy Loomis (Marilins pick I think 16th round last year) etc.. Those guys are crazy.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Danny Black's slow ass?!?! BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! I can't believe a guy who I "sorta" hung out with at Purdue (mind you I didn't go there, just passed by alot on campus/hitting on women :D) got drafted by us. Very cool. He, Andy Loomis (Marilins pick I think 16th round last year) etc.. Those guys are crazy.

One of my good friend's boyfriend is going to be dominating us for years. That is crazy. (Crow)

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Goldy B. Simmons...awesome.

The video I saw had him topping out in the mid-80s, maybe they were all offspeed. Does anybody have a report on him? By the way, his name is great (I think that is what u were trying to hint at there).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Holy crap we took Goodwin? If we can sign this kid... Nice i really like some of the arms we picked up in the middle part of the day.

Not a chance he signs. I guess he's just a "hey, why not" type of pick. He's a Boras client, a UNC commit, and unless we give him a 7 figure bonus, he ain't signing. We'll like offer him a courtesy offer, Boras will laugh, and Goodwin will go to UNC...

However, I'd have no problem if we said f*** to Bud Selig and gave Goodwin a big bonus.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
I'd say people have a legitimate reason to be disappointed if we overdrafted guys in the early rounds (e.g. Anything before round 10). No, we don't have unlimited funds, but Thompson isn't a guy that's gonna get a $1M signing bonus. That's the kind of guy I wanted to see us take in the 4th-7th rounds. We didn't spend s*** this past offseason and are about to unload a ton of money this coming offseason. I think we could have afforded taking a guy like Scheppers, Bailey, etc and given them the money they want to sign.

If we do some slight overdrafts in certain places we put ourselves in position to guarantee signing them and addimg depth to our system instead of taking guys that would want a bunch of money. We just can't go and sign every player that we want, it costs too much money. By drafting guys who are cheap signs we get an opportunity to spend big bucks on a player like Thompson who probably will command a signing bonus in the area of a million, he is a big time prospect.

As far as us not spending any money this past offseason, what about Viciedo, we dropped 10 million on him. That is essentially the same as a signing bonus on a draft pick except we didn't draft him. He's no proven veteran and I don't there was one team that spent 10 mil signing their draft picks last year, we spent the 10 on him plus another 4 mil or so on the guys we drafted.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
If we do some slight overdrafts in certain places we put ourselves in position to guarantee signing them and addimg depth to our system instead of taking guys that would want a bunch of money. We just can't go and sign every player that we want, it costs too much money. By drafting guys who are cheap signs we get an opportunity to spend big bucks on a player like Thompson who probably will command a signing bonus in the area of a million, he is a big time prospect.

As far as us not spending any money this past offseason, what about Viciedo, we dropped 10 million on him. That is essentially the same as a signing bonus on a draft pick except we didn't draft him. He's no proven veteran and I don't there was one team that spent 10 mil signing their draft picks last year, we spent the 10 on him plus another 4 mil or so on the guys we drafted.

I don't think Thompson will get close to a million. If he signs, it's in the $500,000 range. Even if he doesn't need the money, there's no reason to give him more than that. He's not at a talent level that deserves that much. But, I could be wrong. You can add depth to the system in rounds 6-20. You take chances on potential 1st rounders that fall to, say, the 4th or 5th round. We didn't.

Look, I'm happy with our draft. I'm very happy the took a flier on Goodwin and Williams after the 10th round. I'm just saying that guys similar to Matthew Heidenreich, Kyle Bellamy, or Justin Collop could have been had in the 7th, 8th, 9th round range, and we could have taken a chance on someone like Luke Bailey with our 4th rounder or Sam Dyson in the 5th or 6th round. Meanwhile, we could easily still fill the system with the type of solid (not spectacular) players I mentioned earlier. I'm not complaining about our draft. I think if we sign a couple of the guys that fell, we'll be in fantastic shape. Just critiquing the strategy a little. I think that's fair.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
I just want to quickly thank everyone whose contributed to both the days leading up to the draft and the draft itself. This board has been a tremendous resource and it makes me very proud to be a part of it.

Well said. I love the FutureSox board more than any other on Soxtalk, and it's a real pleasure to get all sorts of great insight from a lot of knowledgeable posters on here. We even had a Cerb sighting or two, which was nice to see him still lurking around occasionally. He adds some great stuff to the conversation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
I was told tonight we're confident we can sign Thompson, but Goodwin is about a 10% likely signee.

No surprise there. Goodwin will be an extremely tough sign, but if we can develop a solid relationship with him and his family, who knows how that could play in our favor 3 years down the road - just look at Jordan Danks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Wasn't Danks 2 still being represented by Boras when he was drafted last year?

Yes, but shortly after the draft, both Danks brothers fired Boras... I think certainly there was some under the table or back door collaborations going on.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)

Purdue? Women? I think you were on the wrong campus.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
The Whole List. Dasox, or any other mod feel free to edit my post, or just paste this at the beginning of the page as the complete list please.

1. Jared Mitchell, of, LSU

1a. Josh Phegley, c, Indiana Univ.

2. Trayce Thompson, of, Santa Margarita HS (CA)

2a. David Holmberg, lhp, Port Charlotte HS (FL)

3. Bryan Morgado, lhp, Univ. of Tennessee

4. Matthew Heidenreich, rhp, Temescal Canyon HS (CA)

5. Kyle Bellamy, rhp, Univ. of Miami

6. Justin Collop, rhp, Toledo Univ.

7. Junstin Jones, lhp, Oakdale HS (CA)

8. Ryan Buch, rhp, Monmouth Univ. (NJ)

9. Matthew Hopps, rhp, Cal ST Dominguez

10. Nick Ciolli, OF, Indiana St. Univ.

11. Jimmy Ballinger, rhp, Univ. of So. Miss

12. Kyle Colligan, of, Texas A&M

13. Cameron Bayne, rhp, Concordia Univ.

14. Daniel Black, 1B, Purdue

15. Dane Williams, rhp, Archbishop McCarthy HS (FL)

16. Daniel Wagner, 2B. Belmont Univ.

17. Brian Goodwin, of, Rocky Mt. HS (NC)

18. Philip Negus, rhp, Wake Forest

19. Brady Shoemaker, of, Indiana St. Univ.

20. Nathan Reed, lhp, Univ. of Pittsburgh

21. Jared McDonald, SS, Arizona St. Univ.

22. Zach Kayne, SS, Davidson College

23. Goldy Simmons, rhp, San Diego St.

24. Jeffery Tezak, 2B, Univ. of Nebraska

25. Michael Strong, lhp, Iowa Western CC

26. Matthew Harughty, 2B, Univ. of Oklahoma

27. Kyle Davis, 2B, Univ. of Delaware

28. Robert Cummings, 3B, UC Santa Barbara

29. Charles Delk, rhp, Clemson

30. Robert Vaughn, c, Kansas State

Thanks. Done.