SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
Well, I just got home from work, but my first thoughts are that the 2nd day has been a bit disappointing so far. I like the Buch pick a lot, but other than that it seemed like we reached a lot, and didn't take a chance on any of the big guys that fell b/c of signability issues. On second glance, this Jones kid could be a good get if he signs.

Hernandez from U Tennessee just drafted by Philly.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost track I think, but so far day 2, only one guy looks particularly good. The others I just don't know, as they are obviously picks made for tools, not results, and I don't know their tools.

Can someone update Post 1 of this thread, or the other one, with the picks so far?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Well, I just got home from work, but my first thoughts are that the 2nd day has been a bit disappointing so far. I like the Buch pick a lot, but other than that it seemed like we reached a lot, and didn't take a chance on any of the big guys that fell b/c of signability issues. On second glance, this Jones kid could be a good get if he signs.

Lots of people have been ranting against this draft but I think that we need to remember 2 things

1. The draft needs to be considered as a whole body of work not just a pick by pick basis. We may take a couple guys who will easily sign so we can roll the dice on guys like Buch, Jones or Thompson who may want big money. You can't just take the best guy on the board every round unless you have an unlimited budget which we don't. This isn't like the NBA or NFL draft where you get selected and don't really have any other choice but to play for the team who drafts you.

2. You never really know how some of these picks will turn out. There's a good chance that there was some stud signability player that the Cardinals passed on when they too Pujols in the 13th round back in the day. There were probably some cards guys yelling at the monitor because they passed on their guy. You never know how things will turn out so our excitement and judgment needs to be tempered until we first see who actually signs and then see who among these players can be coached up to their potential.

my 2 cents

From BA on the 11th round pick...

The Golden Eagles' top prospect, eligible sophomore righthander J.R. Ballinger, has a smaller-than-ideal frame at 6-foot-1, 185 pounds. He has run his fastball up as high as 92 mph but pitches at 89-90, with a solid changeup. His out pitch is his curveball, a short spike in the upper 70s, and he keeps the ball in the ballpark, having yielded just two home runs.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Can someone update Post 1 of this thread, or the other one, with the picks so far?

Just use FutureSox

Awesome/hilarious thing a friend just told me about Buch. He pitched against Mizzou in regional play and my friend was there. "I just remembered why Ryan Buch dropped so much...his mom is f***ing crazy and was bothering scouts. she got moved from a catwalk near the pressbox becuase she was yelling over the writers and by the scouts."

I wouldn't read much into it, but I was entertained.

a bit more on cioli...

Scouts don't love outfielder Nick Ciolli's set-up at the plate, as he's too spread out and has a long, funky swing. But he makes it work and batted .401/.431/.577 from the left side this spring. He has more gap power than home run pop, though, which could work against him as a corner outfielder in pro ball. The 6-foot-2, 195-pounder has solid speed and a fringy arm.

Colligan doesn't sound bad. He's got some power potential and solid speed.

Below are some excerts from an article I found

“We’ll see some great pitching this weekend,” Colligan said. “We’ll need to do a good job of getting inside the baseball and driving it the other way. This isn’t a ball park where you can just yank everything.”

The ability of Colligan, a four-year starter in center field, to yank the ball has buoyed the Aggies offensively. He hit .583 in the Big 12 tournament, in lifting his season average from .269 to .286 over the past three games.

Colligan, 6-2 and 210 pounds, also is invaluable in the outfield, while providing the Aggies plenty of pop and speed at the plate. His 11 stolen bases are tied for second on the team.

“Kyle means everything to our program,” Childress said.

His college page:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-bas...gan_kyle00.html

He was heavily recruited out of high school. Chose the Aggies over Baylor and Notre Dame and would have been drafted last year but told teams he had zero interest in signing and wanted to come back for his senior year and get his degree. Batted leadoff for A&M.

Dane Williams • RHP • 6-6 • 210 • Archbishop McCarthy HS • Fort Lauderdale, FL

Ranked as the No. 81 prospect in the class of 2009 by ProspectWire.com ... Listed as the No. 33 player in the state of Florida by Perfect Game USA.

Recruiting coordinator Tom Holliday: “Dane Williams is listed as the 29th best prospect in the country by Perfect Game USA, which should make him one of the three best pitchers in the state of Florida. He’s big and strong with a heavy sinker. He’s a guy who always wanted to come to NC State, and we’re lucky that it worked out for him.”

From NC State's state site. Apparently committed to them, looks goo, but prolly a tough sign guy.

Dane Williams....must have fallen due to signability...#68 ranked nationally by BA

Williams has shown electric stuff to rival any prep pitcher in the country—in short bursts. He also has shown that he is recovered from a torn left ACL that he injured last fall, and his North Carolina State commitment didn't look like it would keep him from being perhaps the first Florida prep pitcher drafted. Williams had an electric debut in his first outing coming back from his knee injury in March, sitting in the 94-96 mph range for one inning, then flashing a power slider up to 83 mph to go with it. He's got a pro body at 6-foot-6 and has improved the life and velocity on his stuff since dropping his arm slot from straight over the top to a high three-quarters delivery. Williams settled into the low 90s when he started, losing velocity on his slider as well, but showed a little armside sink on the fastball at lower speeds. His biggest question marks revolve around his command of the fastball and ability to develop a changeup, which he hasn't needed as a prep. Williams was closing strong, throwing a no-hitter in the 4-A regional finals to help Archbishop McCarthy reach the state final four for the first time.

Bayne, RHP, Concordia (D3 I believe). School is actually located in Irvine where I live and is a christian private college that has a very good baseball program.

He was a two way player in JC's. Was a 2007 selection of the Cincinatti Reds. Also the same JC that CJ Retherford (Sox farmhand) played for. One of the top Hawaiin Prospects out of high school, although that doesn't say a lot. Also, PG had him as the best out of state native hawaiin available in the draft.

Dane reached 91 MPH on the scouting video, but also looks like he uses more arm than legs. Re-work his motion to use more legs, and let him develop, probably throw harder. Other report has him higher which is good. Definitely a tough sign, but I like the value here and the risk. Show him the $$.

Edited by maggsmaggs