SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Directed at someone with a lot of knowledge of the farm and such: if you had to choose one of Williams and Goodwin to sign, which would you pick?

Goodwin. Williams will be a bit easier sign, however, both will take at 300K and my guess is you'd have to go close to a M to get Goodwin to sign.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
Interesting side note, the Sox have a twitter (InsideTheSox), and it announced the lineup earlier today, Beckham is batting 7th, ahead of Getz and BA.

Doesn't really surprise me. Despite only having one hit, Gordon's only stuck out three times so far. He's making good contact, just needs to be more selective and find some holes.

Heres the details on our 21st round selection, Jared McDonald. He was drafted previously by the Chicago Cubs (out of JC).

Pima's Jared McDonald, a juco shortstop and likely pro second baseman who dominated the league, batting .467 with 11 home runs. He's committed to Michigan State, a surprise and perhaps a sign that he's not an elite player, as most of the top players in the conference commit to Arizona or Arizona State. He's a contact hitter with some similarities to Adam Kennedy, with an unorthodox lefthanded swing, spray approach and solid athleticism.

It should be noted that he did end up going to Arizona State. Sounds like a solid pickup and he's another guy we'll be able to watch in the college world series.

Below is a link to his player profile:

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-base...ld_jared00.html

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
Goodwin. Williams will be a bit easier sign, however, both will take at 300K and my guess is you'd have to go close to a M to get Goodwin to sign.

Okay, then, followup question: Which do you feel is more of an organizational need given the current farm system, draft picks, and ML team?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Okay, then, followup question: Which do you feel is more of an organizational need given the current farm system, draft picks, and ML team?

Both OF and pitchers are some of the weaker spots of our farm system. But with the emergence of Hudson, Carter, and other guys I would go with Goodwin as the more needed player since we really only have Danks as a legit OF prospect (not including Mitchell or other guys drafted so far). We also have Shelby, but he is solid as a prospect, not great.

I remember people on this board bringing up Goodwin before the draft. If he signs, it could be a big steal. The Sox definitely did what they said they would...go after some possible lead-off hitters. Given our current lack of players of their skill sets, I see KW making a strong run at Goodwin and Trayce Thompson. Watching Thompson's swing it reminds of Alex Rios.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)

Well, that's a bit trickier because pitching is always a need. But, CF's with Goodwin's athleticism and skill set are more rare than the type of Pitcher Williams could become. So, I'd have to go with Goodwin again, even if we already drafted 2 athletic OF types in the 1st 2 rounds and have Danks already raking in the minors. I think Goodwin is a potential big impact offensively and defensively at a premium postion (CF), so he'd be more important to sign. That said, he's going to be very difficult to sign and will probably end up at UNC.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

A front of the rotation pitcher is a big need but so is an athletic outfielder. Since prep outfielders have a high probability of striking (albeit lower) and the fact that Goodwin is the better talent, I'll still say it is a bigger need.

Either way these guys are 3-5 years away from contributing.

22nd round selection, Zach Davidson, was a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, which goes out to the nations finest collegiate shortstop. Hits for average and played good defense in college.

Below is a link to some video of him hitting a double off a 94MPH fastball.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...ASQQndMFl-9QHSw

College Profile:

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=130

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
A front of the rotation pitcher is a big need but so is an athletic outfielder. Since prep outfielders have a high probability of striking (albeit lower) and the fact that Goodwin is the better talent, I'll still say it is a bigger need.

Either way these guys are 3-5 years away from contributing.

Maybe I'm just seeing 6'6" righty out of HS who already throws low-mid 90s and getting a little too excited. I'm really hoping they sign williams though, I don't see any RHSPs in the org to be excited about right now (though if they decide to try Buch out as a starter, he's an exciting prospect)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
22nd round selection, Zach Davidson, was a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, which goes out to the nations finest collegiate shortstop. Hits for average and played good defense in college.

Below is a link to some video of him hitting a double off a 94MPH fastball.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...ASQQndMFl-9QHSw

College Profile:

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=130

I think you mean Zach Kayne from Davidson. :D

Edited by Dam8610

Dexter Carter and Luke Hudson are two RHP prospects to get excited about. I wouldn't say overly excited because they are both still in A ball, but they both have big league arms and stuff and are progressing quite nicely. I woudln't be shocked if both end up in Bham by seasons end (AA).