SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY THREE

Dam8610

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a busy day at work so I plan on attacking these picks in a set of ten or so, mainly talking about guys that have some sort of skill-set or interseting fact about them. However, the reality is that most of the guys going right now are either going to go back to school and try to improve there draft stock (especially any high school kid and a lot of juco guys) or they will most likely be organizational guys. That said there might be a few intriguing guys that come off the boards, maybe a college senior whose slid down for whatever reason or something like that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
I got a busy day at work so I plan on attacking these picks in a set of ten or so, mainly talking about guys that have some sort of skill-set or interseting fact about them. However, the reality is that most of the guys going right now are either going to go back to school and try to improve there draft stock (especially any high school kid and a lot of juco guys) or they will most likely be organizational guys. That said there might be a few intriguing guys that come off the boards, maybe a college senior whose slid down for whatever reason or something like that.

Any info on them would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jacob Wilson

Right-Handed Pitcher - RHP

Height: 6-0 Weight: 170

Senior

Bats: R Throws: R

Previous Affiliations

Richard King HS

Blinn JC

Courtesy: New Mexico State University

Junior 2008: Wilson pitched in eight games for the Aggies during the 2008 season. In 24 innings, Wilson struck out 23 batters, while he gave up 33 earned runs and nine home runs during the season. Wilson only allowed two hits and one run while pitching against the Lobos. He pitched in five innings each against Fresno State (3/10) and Panhandle State (4/15) helping the Aggies to victory in both games.

Junior College: Wilson played at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas before transferring to Laredo Community College where he played baseball for current Aggie assistant coach Chase Tidwell. As a pitcher, Wilson helped the Palominos place third in Region 14 in the 2005-06 seasons.

High School: Wilson played high school baseball for the Richard King High School Mustangs. As a senior he had a 7-2 record with a 0.62 ERA while striking out 84 batters in 56 innings. In 2004 he received Honorable Mention as first baseman. He was awarded team Most Valuable Player and first-team All-District Pitcher in 2005. Wilson was also awarded second-team All-South Texas Pitcher.

Personal: Wilson is the son of David Wilson and Cathy Taylor and was born in Corpus Christi, Texas. He is majoring in management and exercise science.

This season Wilson had a 2-2 record with 4 Saves and a 3.04 ERA. He appeared in 21 games, 26.2 IP, 15 BB, 37 Ks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Isn't it pretty pointless following rounds 31-50? It seems like these guys don't even sign anymore. Without the "draft and follow" option anymore, I'm surprised the draft is this long anymore.

Sox are drafting a lot of college seniors so they'll most likely sign.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Jacob Wilson

Right-Handed Pitcher - RHP

Height: 6-0 Weight: 170

Senior

Bats: R Throws: R

Previous Affiliations

Richard King HS

Blinn JC

Courtesy: New Mexico State University

Junior 2008: Wilson pitched in eight games for the Aggies during the 2008 season. In 24 innings, Wilson struck out 23 batters, while he gave up 33 earned runs and nine home runs during the season. Wilson only allowed two hits and one run while pitching against the Lobos. He pitched in five innings each against Fresno State (3/10) and Panhandle State (4/15) helping the Aggies to victory in both games.

Junior College: Wilson played at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas before transferring to Laredo Community College where he played baseball for current Aggie assistant coach Chase Tidwell. As a pitcher, Wilson helped the Palominos place third in Region 14 in the 2005-06 seasons.

High School: Wilson played high school baseball for the Richard King High School Mustangs. As a senior he had a 7-2 record with a 0.62 ERA while striking out 84 batters in 56 innings. In 2004 he received Honorable Mention as first baseman. He was awarded team Most Valuable Player and first-team All-District Pitcher in 2005. Wilson was also awarded second-team All-South Texas Pitcher.

Personal: Wilson is the son of David Wilson and Cathy Taylor and was born in Corpus Christi, Texas. He is majoring in management and exercise science.

This season Wilson had a 2-2 record with 4 Saves and a 3.04 ERA. He appeared in 21 games, 26.2 IP, 15 BB, 37 Ks.

33 ER and 9 HR in 24 IP? Yeah that's not looking great.

He must have improved this (senior) season. I'l see if I can find this year's stats. Does Big West have a conference page with stats?

A.J. Casario

A five-tool player and excellent pro prospect ... strong left-handed hitter with good speed and ability to hit the ball to the opposite field for power ... outstanding outfielder with one of the strongest throwing arms in the ACC ... hustles every play.

QUOTE (Seymizzle @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Sox are drafting a lot of college seniors so they'll most likely sign.

First off, welcome aboard, and second off, your spot on. It looks like a lot of these guys are seniors that they plan on getting into the system. We'll see them in short season ball soon enough, imo.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
33 ER and 9 HR in 24 IP? Yeah that's not looking great.

He must have improved this (senior) season. I'l see if I can find this year's stats. Does Big West have a conference page with stats?

Unless I'm nuts, he doesn't play in the big west

QUOTE (Seymizzle @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
A.J. Casario

A five-tool player and excellent pro prospect ... strong left-handed hitter with good speed and ability to hit the ball to the opposite field for power ... outstanding outfielder with one of the strongest throwing arms in the ACC ... hustles every play.

Sounds like a great value pick at this stage in the game.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/casario_aj01.html

The above link is his player profile, says he is a senior but I believe he is a junior. He was drafted by the Dodgers in the 27th round out of high school. Apparently the Dodgers wanted him to go to a JUCO for a year and they'd give him more money than the typical 27th round pick. He decided to go play for the Terps instead. Expect him to hit well in short-season but the question will be whether he has the tools to hit as he moves up into the higher levels, imo.

QUOTE (Seymizzle @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
A.J. Casario

That's a quote from the U. Maryland website.

Burnside missed a season in college after undergoing surgery, but as a sophmore he was pretty damn good for Auburn, even gained the role of Friday night starter. Burnside was horrendous in his senior season (first year back from injury, only made 4 appearances his junior year as he was recovering).

Prior to undergoing Tommy John, Burnside was climbing up draft boards and was looked at as a guy who might be able to move into the top 4-5 rounds of the draft. Below is a scouting report on a healthy Burnside, it was based upon his performance in a collegiate summer league, the Valley League.

After the season, Baseball America named Burnside the 3rd best prospect in the league. Their writeup included the following comment: "[He] has a projectable 6-foot-4, 207 pound frame and a lively 89-93 mph fastball." Paul's teammates had some fun with the news. "Some of my teammates thought it was pretty funny," he said. "They came into the locker room after the first couple days of practice; a few of the guys had printed it off and thought it would be funny to show it to everybody. They said, 'Can I get your autograph, sir, please?' and all that kind of stuff."