GameThread: Tigers (33-26) v. White Sox (27-33) 1:05 WGN

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
It just backs up the rebuilding plan without saying they are rebuilding. They replaced a broken down Colon with their top prospect. With guys like Glavine and Pedro still on the market, the Sox aren't going to get anything for Colon on the market come July, so why not?

To be honest, I do not know how I feel about them promoting their biggest trading chip to the majors to be evaluated by everyone.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I'm shocked the Sox basically gave up on Colon. I love the fact they did it, as it was obvious he wasn't adding to the fastball as the season went on. It's definitely a move that you wouldn't see them do in year's past.

I thought we agreed last night that shocked and surprised arent the correct words. ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
To be honest, I do not know how I feel about them promoting their biggest trading chip to the majors to be evaluated by everyone.

yeah, but he's still young enough that even if he struggles he can impress scouts

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
yeah, but he's still young enough that even if he struggles he can impress scouts

agreed, as long as he's over 94 mph on the radar gun, no one will care about his actual results (regarding scouts)

I know a lot of people are worried about how the fans react to the Sox unloading players (to start the rebuilding). However, if we lose today, I think it goes a long way to erasing any concerns about the reaction fans have. The only who fans will struggle with getting traded is Jenks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
I know a lot of people are worried about how the fans react to the Sox unloading players (to start the rebuilding). However, if we lose today, I think it goes a long way to erasing any concerns about the reaction fans have. The only who fans will struggle with getting traded is Jenks.

I agree. The reaction to Beckham helped any fears I had about a mass fanbase revolt. There will be some murmurs if PK, Danks and Dye go, but people will get over it quickly. Also, KW will mix young players with vets next year with the payroll flex... hell I could see him doing it at the deadline this year, ie getting a younger player off a bad team who's locked up for a few years.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
High ranking members of the Sox front office have used the word rebuilding. You won't hear it from Kenny, but I just don't think it's in his vocabulary.

which as a GM of a top payroll team he shouldn't. This division likely won't get magically that much better next year, so with a young guy or two playing well and adding a few solid vets and Danks, Floyd and MB having good years the Sox are in a good place next year

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
I agree. The reaction to Beckham helped any fears I had about a mass fanbase revolt. There will be some murmurs if PK, Danks and Dye go, but people will get over it quickly. Also, KW will mix young players with vets next year with the payroll flex... hell I could see him doing it at the deadline this year, ie getting a younger player off a bad team who's locked up for a few years.

Danks?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
It's a little bold, but also sort of telling. I beat the dead horse when the Sox had Gio, saying the reason they never promoted him was because they didn't want to smash his value, as they felt he wasn't a real major league asset.

Tony thats an extremely good point there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Between Q not coming back for a month, and PK being hurt, on top of the RISP struggles, I am Sox depressed. I hardly have the heart to watch this one right now.

I am with you. It is really disheartening right now. I think having KW as the GM for so long now I kind of have his mentality that we are always in contention and that the word "rebuilding" doesn't exist.

But this division is so bad god dammit its so hard to just give up on this season.

I’m not sure I even like the repercussions of barely winning the division again. If anything this will just reaffirm Ozzie’s mad belief that the collection of guys he keeps putting out there are putting us in the best position to win for the near future.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
I’m not sure I even like the repercussions of barely winning the division again. If anything this will just reaffirm Ozzie’s mad belief that the collection of guys he keeps putting out there are putting us in the best position to win for the near future.

that's when JR and KW have a meeting with him after the year and explain to him the orgs plan for the team and if he doesn't want in they'll let him "retire" and say he's burned out

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
rain delay entertainment: MLB network 1986 Angels vs Red Sox ALCS

the Cubs are also playing if people want live baseball as entertainment... looks like they're facing a guy from the Astros pen to begin the game

edit: never mind, it is Ortiz, he's just going from the stretch to begin with

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
the Cubs are also playing if people want live baseball as entertainment... looks like they're facing a guy from the Astros pen to begin the game

In he 1986 game, they were just describing this thing called "on base percentage." Wade Boggs had a .453 OBP, and they were like, I guess thats pretty good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
In he 1986 game, they were just describing this thing called "on base percentage." Wade Boggs had a .453 OBP, and they were like, I guess thats pretty good.

lol, damn, yeah, getting on 45% of the time isn't too shabby!!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
that's when JR and KW have a meeting with him after the year and explain to him the orgs plan for the team and if he doesn't want in they'll let him "retire" and say he's burned out

I think Rockin Robin would be a kickass manager if we went with the youth movement.