GameThread: Tigers (33-26) v. White Sox (27-33) 1:05 WGN

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
We're shooting a bit higher with Danks2. His upside appears to be that of Grady Sizemore.

Completely agree. He has flaws to his game but defensively he has all the abilities and tools to be a great defensive outfielder (whether in CF or in RF, cause he's got a f***ing cannon). And offensively again the tools are all there, although as everyone knows he has a high strike out rate.

I actually like Danks and Viciedo more than Beckham although Beckham is the safest bet to have a good major league career, imo. And I like Beckham a lot too. I think all three have a shot at being perennial all stars. Flowers does too, although I don't like him as much as the others. Flowers more so because a guy that can hit and for power at the catcher position is rare and with such a weak group of catchers it isn't that tough to eventually be an all star.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Completely agree. He has flaws to his game but defensively he has all the abilities and tools to be a great defensive outfielder (whether in CF or in RF, cause he's got a f***ing cannon). And offensively again the tools are all there, although as everyone knows he has a high strike out rate.

I actually like Danks and Viciedo more than Beckham although Beckham is the safest bet to have a good major league career, imo. And I like Beckham a lot too. I think all three have a shot at being perennial all stars. Flowers does too, although I don't like him as much as the others. Flowers more so because a guy that can hit and for power at the catcher position is rare and with such a weak group of catchers it isn't that tough to eventually be an all star.

This is usually a key to MLB success. You need to watch it. At the time of the Chris Young trade I said I didn't mind the trade due to his high stirke out rate. The reply from someone was "well you must be worried about Josh Fields as well, he strikes out alot." My reply was I'm very concerned about his MLB ability for that very reason." And boy was I torched by people on this board.

My opinion of high strike out rate position players still hasn't changed. I'm worried about Danks and his high strike out rate and whether he will make enough contact in the MLB. Let's wait and see if it gets better before we annoint him "grady Sizemore" status.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
This is usually a key to MLB success. You need to watch it. At the time of the Chris Young trade I said I didn't mind the trade due to his high stirke out rate. The reply from someone was "well you must be worried about Josh Fields as well, he strikes out alot." My reply was I'm very concerned about his MLB ability for that very reason." And boy was I torched by people on this board.

My opinion of high strike out rate position players still hasn't changed. I'm worried about Danks and his high strike out rate and whether he will make enough contact in the MLB. Let's wait and see if it gets better before we annoint him "grady Sizemore" status.

He has a good swing and hits the ball very hard when he squares it up. I'd compare him offensively a bit to someone like Jim Edmonds. Not fully but in the sense that Edmonds always had a high strikeout rate but he also hit the ball very hard whenever he made contract and it showed as he had a ridiculous BAPIP most of is career. Danks has a good swing and a good eye and I think he will settle in as a guy who strikes out 80-110 times which is completely acceptable if he's drawing walks, hitting for a good average (he should), good power (tons of doubles and 15-20HR's), all while stealing bases and playing gold glove defense.

But you are definately right, strikeout rates are something you most definately have to look at, but I also believe you have to factor in other things. In Fields case I never was much of a fan because I didn't feel he offered good defense, a great eye or anything else and I felt those strikeouts would hinder him from becoming much of a player at 3rd. Especially since he was much more hit or miss than a guy like Danks. In addition, Fields struck out a lot because he flat out couldn't catch up to a good fastball and that is major sign of a guy that won't make it.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
The one thing I don't see in Grady Sizemore comparison is the home runs. Grady has way more power than Danks2 probably will ever have.

If you ask scouts, they could easily see Danks developing 30HR type of power. People expecte him to do it throughout college and he's starting to show a lot more power in the minors as he continues and continues to learn to drive the inside pitches with much more authority.

However, it is relatively unlikely that he will actaully turn into a 30 HR hitter. That said, 20Hr's is not at all a bad estimate and it does make him relatively comparable to sizemore in the sense that your talking about good defense a high average, some power, etc.

So basically we are saying his upside is that of Sizemore, doesn't mean he makes it. I'd put his downside as that of a Mark Kotsay, which again, isn't a bad thing.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Hawk's going to start b****ing about what time the flight will arrive if this thing drags on any longer.

He will b**** about it tomorrow when Suppan holds us to 4 hits over 8 innings, claiming the team was tired.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Do they fly or take a bus? with no traffic it would be about 90 minutes

They will take a bus or maybe even a train. I wouldn't be surprised if most guys just drive themselves as Monday is an off day and they will be in Chicago next week.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
They will take a bus or maybe even a train. I wouldn't be surprised if most guys just drive themselves as Monday is an off day and they will be in Chicago next week.

Maybe D'Wayne Wise and Josh Fields will get lost along the way.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
The one thing I don't see in Grady Sizemore comparison is the home runs. Grady has way more power than Danks2 probably will ever have.

Grady wasn't a power machine early in his career. It's developed over the years.

I see Danks hitting around 20 homers with full playing time if he is developed the right way. He doesn't have as much power as Sizemore, but I wouldn't say Sizemore has way more power.

I wasn't trying to be down on Danks, it just seemed to be a lofty comparison. After reading the last couple of posts I decided to look at the Minor League numbers of a Grady Sizemore and compare it to Jordan Danks and to my surprise they are fairly similiar. Granted it is a small sample size for Danks thus far, but I would have to change my view of his ceiling. I also know that Minor League numbers aren't set in stone that is what you will do in the Big Leagues but I have say the Sizemore comparisons is more accurate than I thought.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
I wasn't trying to be down on Danks, it just seemed to be a lofty comparison. After reading the last couple of posts I decided to look at the Minor League numbers of a Grady Sizemore and compare it to Jordan Danks and to my surprise they are fairly similiar. Granted it is a small sample size for Danks thus far, but I would have to change my view of his ceiling. I also know that Minor League numbers aren't set in stone that is what you will do in the Big Leagues but I have say the Sizemore comparisons is more accurate than I thought.

Did Omar Minaya trade Sizemore, Lee and Phillips for Colon.

Talk about a bad trade.

He did get Rocky Biddle andthat tall guy in return a year later....

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Did Omar Minaya trade Sizemore, Lee and Phillips for Colon.

Talk about a bad trade.

He did get Rocky Biddle andthat tall guy in return a year later....

That was just an awful trade. Shapiro just fleeced them on that. If I remember correctly, Phillips was the best piece of that trade at the time. Imagine if the Tribe had actually kept Phillips and he would have panned out there. They have been trying to fill 2B ever since moving him.