Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
I'd be more than happy to take on the drug companies too, as would most Dems. But considering how close-run this vote already has been...the political realities say it just can't be done all at once. If we didn't have to get 60 votes, it might well have been do-able over the Filibuster. I'd love a perfect bill, but Joe Lieberman and the 40 Republcians and Ben Nelson and Evan Bayh don't want one.

Please do not ignore the fact that it was the dems that cut the sweetheart deal with the drug companies this time, and then protected them when they shot down the amendment to import foreign to increase price competition.

They got support from big pharma for a measly 80 billion dollars, which won't help cover even 5% of this bill. I'd bet that will equate to 2% of phrama profits...probably less considering the added 40,000,000 customers they'll be getting.

Oh, and this isn't over yet.

The house is never going to agree to a bill without a public option.

The senate is never going to agree to a bill with it.

This is where politics will really rear it's ugly head and things will begin to fall to pieces.

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
You do realize by heaping more and more costs on to the classes that actually hire people in this country the government is going to force more jobs out of the country, not less.

I realize that working without health benefits is impossible for many people. This cuts small business off from some of the best talent available. Their employees either have to have spouses with insurance, they need to pay them enough to purchase insurance at individual rates, or do without and hope.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Please do not ignore the fact that it was the dems that cut the sweetheart deal with the drug companies this time, and then protected them when they shot down the amendment to import foreign to increase price competition.

They got support from big pharma for a measly 80 billion dollars, which won't help cover even 5% of this bill. I'd bet that will equate to 2% of phrama profits...probably less considering the added 40,000,000 customers they'll be getting.

Oh, and this isn't over yet.

The house is never going to agree to a bill without a public option.

The senate is never going to agree to a bill with it.

This is where politics will really rear it's ugly head and things will begin to fall to pieces.

Just watch...something very close to the Senate is going to pass. THere's no stopping it now that Reid has 60, and everyone knows the Liberals are going to cave on the public option.

And yes, the Dems cut a crappy sweetheart deal with the drug companies. It's a deal with the devil, but frankly, you and I both know it was necessary. There is no way the Dems could have won by taking on both the insurance companies and the drug companies. The insurance companies alone convinced how many thousands of Americans that this bill was going to kill their grandmother, put paid people out to organize riots, and did everything they could to rip the country apart to make sure it didn't pass. Double that if you include the drug industry.

On the whole...cutting a crappy sweetheart deal with the drug industry to get an insurance reform bill passed still makes this a better place.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
I realize that working without health benefits is impossible for many people. This cuts small business off from some of the best talent available. Their employees either have to have spouses with insurance, they need to pay them enough to purchase insurance at individual rates, or do without and hope.

I posted the data aa few months ago...the U.S. small business community is actually significantly weaker and does much less hiring/job creation than small businesses do in Europe or in other OECD countries. Health insurance is almost certainly the reason why. You can't leave your job and go into th e individual insurance market without it costing you $20k a year for your family, you can't provide insurance to your workers because you're too small to negotiate.

It's simple capitalism, really. The higher the costs are to start up a small business, the fewer you'll get.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Just watch...something very close to the Senate is going to pass. THere's no stopping it now that Reid has 60, and everyone knows the Liberals are going to cave on the public option.

And yes, the Dems cut a crappy sweetheart deal with the drug companies. It's a deal with the devil, but frankly, you and I both know it was necessary. There is no way the Dems could have won by taking on both the insurance companies and the drug companies. The insurance companies alone convinced how many thousands of Americans that this bill was going to kill their grandmother, put paid people out to organize riots, and did everything they could to rip the country apart to make sure it didn't pass. Double that if you include the drug industry.

On the whole...cutting a crappy sweetheart deal with the drug industry to get an insurance reform bill passed still makes this a better place.

I work for an insurance company, and we paid nobody anything to cause riots or organize in any way. And the bill Reid has doesn't do much of anything to private insurance, either. I hope you realize that...but apparently you don't. Heh.

Aside from new intervention and fines that the government can start charging people and increased taxes...watch how much nothing really changes with this bill you want so badly.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
I work for an insurance company, and we paid nobody anything to cause riots or organize in any way. And the bill Reid has doesn't do much of anything to private insurance, either. I hope you realize that...but apparently you don't. Heh.

Bans pre-existing conditions, bans lifetime caps or close to them, bans recissions, increases the medical loss ratio required for every company, attempts to limit the growth of insurance costs by imposing a tax on the cadillac plans (simple economics again), ends a number of other abuses, may increase competition between them, makes it possible for people who can't get insurance right now to actually get it without paying their entire business.

Would have been really nice to get a public option for competition.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
Bans pre-existing conditions, bans lifetime caps or close to them, bans recissions, increases the medical loss ratio required for every company, attempts to limit the growth of insurance costs by imposing a tax on the cadillac plans (simple economics again), ends a number of other abuses, may increase competition between them, makes it possible for people who can't get insurance right now to actually get it without paying their entire business.

Doesn't ban caps. They took that out at the last minute. As I said earlier regarding "cadillac plans" - they are now DOA. They're not going to collect s*** off of that. Premiums are going to go up, not down. Oh, wait, co-ops will stop that... BS. That's the lifeline - co-ops will take away from the private insurers. Y2HH, short term, insurance gets a small bone, but long term, they get screwed royally.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Doesn't ban caps. They took that out at the last minute. As I said earlier regarding "cadillac plans" - they are now DOA. They're not going to collect s*** off of that. Premiums are going to go up, not down. Oh, wait, co-ops will stop that... BS. That's the lifeline - co-ops will take away from the private insurers. Y2HH, short term, insurance gets a small bone, but long term, they get screwed royally.

Actually they re-inserted it after it was caught.

And there's nothing wrong with cadillac plans being DOA. You know as well as I do that winds up being a huge cost savings to the country.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)

Kap, I know exactly what's going on with the bill and how it will affect us -- they give us weekly updates.

It's so convoluted that the fighting hasn't truly begun yet. The sheer amount of contradictions in the 2000 page bill will be opposite of what people are expecting.

You'll all know what I mean in a year or so. :D

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Actually they re-inserted it after it was caught.

And there's nothing wrong with cadillac plans being DOA. You know as well as I do that winds up being a huge cost savings to the country.

The country (government)? Is that all that matters? Did they put the cap measure back in yesterday, because as of Sat. night they said it was out...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
The country (government)? Is that all that matters? Did they put the cap measure back in yesterday, because as of Sat. night they said it was out...

quite literally, yeah, it was caught that they changed the wording late last week and the Dems jumped at that, so it's been reworded again already. Not sure how the final wording turned out, could still have issues, but that got caught.

According to a number of Senators who have spoken publicly about their vote for supporting it, its a key talking point.

I expect that when this gets through committee, the bill will be a bit stronger, the Stupak language will be dropped and the Nelson language may be dropped as well, because voting it out of conference is a lot less public than the votes we've seen so far.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
because voting it out of conference is a lot less public than the votes we've seen so far.

And that's just what the most ethical, transparant congress evah wants. It will be unprecidented! ;)

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
And that's just what the most ethical, transparant congress evah wants. It will be unprecidented! ;)

I wish Obama was more like past Presidents and wouldn't even try to improve how the government operates. Why he sets himself for being mocked is beyond my comprehension.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I wish Obama was more like past Presidents and wouldn't even try to improve how the government operates. Why he sets himself for being mocked is beyond my comprehension.

He's being mocked because all he does is talk about improving how the government operates, he doesn't actually do anything to back up his promises.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)

I found this funny, since he is exactly like them.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
He's being mocked because all he does is talk about improving how the government operates, he doesn't actually do anything to back up his promises.

It's a big government that took a long time to get in this shape. And, in the end, no one person in our system has enough power to make radical changes overnight. First order of business for a President should be to set the goal and start lining up support. I thought Bush did that well with his faith based initiatives. He fell far short of his stated goals, but still made some nice changes. But to get 1% you sometimes have to try for 100%