Healthcare reform

kapkomet

There are good unions and bad unions (in terms of how well they represent you), and there are good non-union employers and bad non-union employers. My dad's worked for them all at some point in his life. But there are some employers out there that seriously do not give a f*** about you, at all, and will bend you over dry to make a few extra bucks.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
There are good unions and bad unions (in terms of how well they represent you), and there are good non-union employers and bad non-union employers. My dad's worked for them all at some point in his life. But there are some employers out there that seriously do not give a f*** about you, at all, and will bend you over dry to make a few extra bucks.

And right now...the law is fully on the side of those employers you talk about.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)

agreed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
There have been illegal and unprosecuted firings in 30% of attempted unionizations over the past few years. Over 90% of employees go through closed-door anti-union sessions during attempted unionization movements. 50% of companies/offices face threats of closure because of union organizing. Unionization processes typically are drawn out for years even when union organizers do everything correct and legal. Penalties have been stripped back so far that they're less than a slap on teh wrist. According to a Human Rights Watch report:

I'd be more than willing to admit that a card-check plan could be the wrong way to go. But the playing field ABSOLUTELY needs some leveling in favor of workers and to say it isn't is simply to ignore reality. The last 30 years it's gone the other way, and it's gone quite a bit too far.

Companies have the absolute right to react to things that threaten their profitability. They also have the right to do what they want with the time they are paying people to be there. If they want to waste it on preaching to their employees, again that is their right. It is just as much of a right to those who are trying to put them through the wringer to get them to unionize.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Companies have the absolute right to react to things that threaten their profitability. They also have the right to do what they want with the time they are paying people to be there. If they want to waste it on preaching to their employees, again that is their right. It is just as much of a right to those who are trying to put them through the wringer to get them to unionize.

I agree with what you probably meant. Companies do not have the right to violate any laws in defense of their profitability. We could also discuss the moral and ethical responsibilities but I'm guessing I would probably have a longer list than you.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
I agree with what you probably meant. Companies do not have the right to violate any laws in defense of their profitability. We could also discuss the moral and ethical responsibilities but I'm guessing I would probably have a longer list than you.

But if it hurts their profitability to not break the law, isn't it their moral obligation to break the law?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
But if it hurts their profitability to not break the law, isn't it their moral obligation to break the law?

:lolhitting

You've gotten even more hippier with that Ph.D.

(and yes, I'm messing with you).

• 2 weeks later...

A Canadian premier comes to the US for heart surgery instead of taking his chances in Canada.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2510700

N.L. Premier Williams set to have heart surgery in U.S.

Kenyon Wallace, National Post

Published: Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams is to have heart surgery in the United States later this week, a press conference this morning is expected to confirm.

Media reports last night suggested the popular 59-year-old Premier has opted not to remain in his home province or country for the scheduled surgery, opting instead for treatment at a U.S. institution. The exact destination is not known.

"I can confirm that Premier Williams did leave the province this morning and will be undergoing heart surgery later this week," said Mr. Williams' spokeswoman, Elizabeth Matthews, in an email to the Canadian Press.

For many, the Premier's need for heart surgery comes as a surprise, especially in light of the fact he is an avid hockey player and has shown no outward signs of illness as of late.

On Friday, Mr. Williams met with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and while speaking to reporters seemed healthy and in good spirits.

A decision to leave Canada for the surgery, especially if it is available here, raises questions about the Premier's confidence in Newfoundland's health care system.