Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
You know that 15 year old is definitely entitled to their privacy being a adult and all.

Oh, so you'd agree that 15 year olds shouldn't be tried as adults in criminal cases as well?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Federal and local authorities are investigating a severed gas line at the home of U.S. Rep. Tom Perriello’s brother, discovered the day after Tea Party activists posted the address online so opponents could “drop by” and “express their thanks” for Perriello’s vote in favor of health care reform.

The gas line connected a propane tank to a gas grill on the home’s screened-in porch, according to sources in Tom Perriello’s office.

The incident is being viewed as an attempted threat to a member of congress, sources said.

Two members of the conservative Tea Party groups in Danville and Lynchburg posted the home’s address online Monday, mistakenly believing it belonged to the congressman. The home actually belongs to Bo Perriello, the congressman’s older brother.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/loc...tigation/54038/

If I were a parent, and that was my child, etc...I'd be furious, I'd launch as many lawsuits against as many people as I could. And I'm very against the sue happy nature of this country...but that's just beyond acceptable to me.

I'd f***ing kill someone.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
That reminds me of right after Obama was elected President. My wife is a nurse and a retirement joint. Some lil old lady tells my wife..." Now all white people are going to be slaves and have to work the fields".

I look forward to singing like a bird.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
If I were a parent, and that was my child, etc...I'd be furious, I'd launch as many lawsuits against as many people as I could. And I'm very against the sue happy nature of this country...but that's just beyond acceptable to me.

I tend to agree, but its a reason for the law to change (which it should) - not to get mad at the school, or be upset about abortions existing at all.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)

This made a sarcastic line pop into my head that was so crude I'm not going to write it. I'm just going to point out that it exists and see if others come up with it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I tend to agree, but its a reason for the law to change (which it should) - not to get mad at the school, or be upset about abortions existing at all.

I'd be upset at all of them.

Just because it's lawful doesn't mean schools should assist...they are, so they are sharing the blame.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Yea, because THAT'S the same.

Why isn't it the same?

If a 15 year old is old enough to go to adult jail for posession of drugs or theft or assault, why aren't they old enough to make their own choices in regards to an unwanted pregnancy?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
Why isn't it the same?

If a 15 year old is old enough to go to adult jail for posession of drugs or theft or assault, why aren't they old enough to make their own choices in regards to an unwanted pregnancy?

Why aren't they old enough to drink or smoke or join the military then? It's not the same because it isn't. Simply said, different rules apply to different aspects of life.

Why doesn't baseball have a field goal? Because it has different rules.

And for adolescents to be tried as adults, the crime has to be pretty heinous. I've not heard of a 15 year old going to adult jail for drugs, theft or assault -- they go to a jail for people their own age.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
This bill enshrines employer-provided insurance and actually strengthens it quite a bit by making it possible for small businesses to afford insurance.

What no one has said so far in last night's discussion, and I'm half surprised and half not surprised...is that there's a reason why employers still provide insurance...and that's the GIGANTIC tax subsidy for health benefits. Even after the excise tax begins to kick in 7 years down the road, the government is still going to be providing a huge tax advantage for companies to purchase health benefits for their employees by making those benefits tax deductible up to a certain point.,

Employers are planning to drop insurance because of this bill? That's insane on their part. First of all, if the employer cuts 20% of his or her employees off of his or her insurance plan, and they can't get into the exchanges...their own insurance rates are going to go up because they're less of an important buyer.

But then on top of that, if the employee has to go and buy his or her own health insurance, even in the exchanges, the company refusing to provide insurance is at a huge tax disadvantage relative to a company providing insurance.

Simple math really. $15,000 a year insurance plan, $35,000 a year employee salary versus $50,000 a year salary, except in the 2nd case, your employee has to pay tax on the full $50,000, while in the former case, the employee pays taxes on $35,000.

LMAO. You have no clue.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Yeah then we could start paying more for a service that has actually decreased in price since it came to the market. Free markets do not work though.

Huh? I'm not sure what this has to do with what I wrote (saying I wish my insurance covered Lasik)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
Soc Sec is fine, and will be for quite some time. Those fears are overblown.

A couple of well-intentioned senators could probably come up with a fix for Social Security in a couple of hours if they wanted to.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
LMAO. You have no clue.

Kap, can you not do this, and at least try? I know you CAN actually have a back and forth if you want, you were just doing it last night, otherwise it's really obnoxious and doesn't add anything.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Kap, can you not do this, and at least try? I know you CAN actually have a back and forth if you want, you were just doing it last night, otherwise it's really obnoxious and doesn't add anything.

In response that, there's no point, because I'll just get an obnoxious rhetorical question that warps it into "liberal logic".

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
A couple of well-intentioned senators could probably come up with a fix for Social Security in a couple of hours if they wanted to.

"Do nothing".

"Index the cap on income subject to the Social Security tax to Inflation".

There's 2 options.