Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
I thought churches that are tax exempt couldnt be politically active and tell their people what to do. I know where I work that the preachers couldnt not say "vote for this guy" or "oppose this policy".

I believe if the church is not specifically endorsing or materially supporting a specific candidate or party then there are loopholes in how they are allowed to advocate. In this particular case, I don't see stuffing the bulletins as being much different than preaching from the pulpit since the message is consistent and fundamental to the tenets of the church; Catholics oppose abortion.

I personally dislike churches bullying parishoners to tell them what to do, but they do it all the time, and here church moral teachings happen to dovetail with an opposition stance to a proposed bill.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 06:41 AM)
I believe if the church is not specifically endorsing or materially supporting a specific candidate or party then there are loopholes in how they are allowed to advocate. In this particular case, I don't see stuffing the bulletins as being much different than preaching from the pulpit since the message is consistent and fundamental to the tenets of the church; Catholics oppose abortion.

I personally dislike churches bullying parishoners to tell them what to do, but they do it all the time, and here church moral teachings happen to dovetail with an opposition stance to a proposed bill.

I obviously do not have a problem with groups discussing politics and offering opinions, whether it be the NRA, AARP, the local Tavern, or a Church.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
I'm scared how much leverage the Republicans will have with the CBO report about their health care plan. I think this will make the dem plan dead in the water.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11...most-nobody.php

Not only does the GOP plan only cover 3 million people, the CBO revised their report today... Saying the plan will save $1 billion less than originally projected.

I would rather they spend all this time and energy into fixing the economy that healthcare. Especially because i fear their 'fix' for healthcare will f*** up the economy even more. or fix medicare first, show me you have some ideas that can work before asking me to trust you with a huge percentage of the nations economy. Too much waste inthe programs youhave, too much room for errors, too many opportunities for crooks. Fox something first.

Some rather classy stuff going on in the house...

On Saturday morning, a group of House Republicans -- led by Rep. Tom Price (R-Georgia) -- attempted to stop the Democratic Women's Caucus from making their arguments about how the health bill would benefit women by screaming over them.

Rep. Lois Capps (D-Calif.) only had time to say "Mr. Speaker, I ask unanimous consent to--," before Price shouted "I object." The presiding chair, Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) made gestures to maintain control, declaring that "the request is not yet before the House" and that Price was "out of order," to little effect. Capps attempted to go on, but Price continued shouting "I object! I object! I object!"

The same shouting tactics were used on Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy (D-Ohio), who asked angrily, "Do I not have the right to be able to continue my sentence without objections that are trying to censor my remarks here on the floor that I have a right to make as a member of this House?"

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
I would rather they spend all this time and energy into fixing the economy that healthcare. Especially because i fear their 'fix' for healthcare will f*** up the economy even more. or fix medicare first, show me you have some ideas that can work before asking me to trust you with a huge percentage of the nations economy. Too much waste inthe programs youhave, too much room for errors, too many opportunities for crooks. Fox something first.

How exactly do you envision 400+ members of congress and 100 senators all work on one thing at one time?

And I love the Fox something first :lol: I believe your Freudian Slip was showing ;)

they are essentially saying that even the filibuster is not good enough anymore, with their minority, so now no debate can be had.

On the other hand, I do enjoy how our legislature is useful again. After 4 decades of doing nothing, I'm glad they remembered what the hell they were supposed to do.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)

Fixing health care is 1 of the 2 things that must be done to put the economy on a sound footing for the long term (The other is fixing energy). Fixing health care is fixing the economy.

8 pm I think...so 12 am my time. F'n F

I like the house filibuster, I hate the senate filibuster.

House filibuster is the heart of mr. smith goes to washington, the senate filibuster is minority party claims "present". If the senate was like the house it would be threatened a whole lot less.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
House filibuster is the heart of mr. smith goes to washington, the senate filibuster is minority party claims "present". If the senate was like the house it would be threatened a whole lot less.

i agree, the Senate should require that type of filibuster.

Mr. G, if you'll remember, pistol duels were the more humane versions of civility in the american legislature, a member WAS beat to death by a cane.

In addition, accounts of the first state legislatures in places like California and Tennessee are hysterical.

The constertution ain't say nothin about drinkin a bucket of whiskey and getting too rowdy to continaw

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
The constertution ain't say nothin about drinkin a bucket of whiskey and getting too rowdy to continaw

there certainly isn't.

and honestly, getting drunk and constantly objecting to stuff during a Senate vote is a right, not a privilege.

If you put it up for an amendment, I'll vote for it.

That saying, that America has contributed two or three great things jazz baseball and democracy or whatever, forgot whiskey.

Whiskey is better than scotch. Scotch looks down upon you. Scotch sucks out your wallet out of mere principle. Whiskey loves you. Whiskey will let you mix it if you want to. Whiskey will go in ice. Whiskey will go straight. And whiskey will love you.

Whiskey is the dog. Scotch is the cat. Cat lovers are p*****s. USA USA USA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Fixing health care is 1 of the 2 things that must be done to put the economy on a sound footing for the long term (The other is fixing energy). Fixing health care is fixing the economy.

What a load of s***. But ok, we're not going to change opinions.