If Konerko can't go... Who should come up?

southsider2k5

Konerko injury poll  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be recalled if PK hits the DL?

• Brandon Allen
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • Who ever is hitting best at AAA
    • Other, please list
    • Frank Thomas still could play 1B!

Allen is the guy I want to see in 2010 at some point, but I think he and Viciedo would have steep learning curves. Kroeger is much lower ceiling but would probably do better short term.

So its a question of what the hell we are doing this year. If we are really making a run at the division, its Kroeger, and PK back ASAP. If we are retooling for 2010 and anything else is a bonus, then leave PK on the DL as long as he needs plus a little bit, and bring up Allen.

Also Ward is a vet and it's always good to have a guy on the team with the same last name as moi (Maybe I can get his game worn jersey very very very cheap at the Sox garage sale.) Me and my older bro were happy as kids when we could lie and say Pete Ward (ex-sox 3rd baseman for you kids) was an uncle .

Although, it seems Pat Burrell is rehabbing with Charlotte, so maybe he would be a good replacement. I called him "Slow Bat Pat" while he was rehabbing with Montgomery. Of course, that is a mistake, he should be listed on Durham's roster.

Viciedo would be a terrible callup right now.

If PK is gone for the season I'd consider Allen.

Frankly, even for a 15 day offtime...put Fields there, call up a LH bat, don't care where he plays, and see if Josh can show some promise.

Probably Andy Phillips. He can play multiple positions and there isn't any harm to his development if he doesn't play much at all. Allen and Viciedo would be mistakes since Fields will be the starter, not to mention the only reason you call up either of the Sox top prospects is if you plan on letting them get a fair shot and unless Konerko is going to be out for an extended period of time they won't get that shot.

I'm not a fan of sending a guy back and forth as I think it can be a total mind f***.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
It might also be Lillibridge as he could bunt and do some little things. That said, Konerko ain't going to the DL right now.

I posted in the game thread that if they think they are still in it, Thome has to play first in the national league parks if Konerko can not go.

That lineup would be embarassing if Thome, Konerko and Quentin are all out in the NL parks.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
I posted in the game thread that if they think they are still in it, Thome has to play first in the national league parks if Konerko can not go.

That lineup would be embarassing if Thome, Konerko and Quentin are all out in the NL parks.

Thomes 1st base days are over. Don't expect him to play and if Konerko gets DL'd should be a lefthanded bat. Allen and Ward are both lefties aren't they? Considering most pitchers are righties ,Allen could start a lot of games with PK out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
It might also be Lillibridge as he could bunt and do some little things. That said, Konerko ain't going to the DL right now.

lillibridge can do some little things.. What a tongue and cheek slam. Great dig, was that some suttle sarcasm?

Edited by forrestg