Trayce Thompson signability

ILMOU

I heard some good news on WSCR regarding the Sox' chances of signing the exciting outfield draft pick. Mully and Hanley interviewed his dad Mychal Thompson, who said junior is ready to start his pro career NOW. He said they're already talking with the Sox, and something should be finalized soon. Also says Trayce'll fill out to 225lb in the next few years.

http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_wind...audioId=3798156

He starts talking about Trayce about halfway through the interview.

I think this Thompson kid might be the pick of the draft for the Sox. Time will tell.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
A lot of people are talking about Thompson and saying he has more upside than our #1 pick.

Given his arm and athleticism, I'm guessing he projects as the RF of the future.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
The Sox better be prepared to at minimum, double what they offered Jordan Danks.

Do you think so? He has a strong desire to play professionally apparently, so I can't see him coming out with any high demands.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Do you think so? He has a strong desire to play professionally apparently, so I can't see him coming out with any high demands.

With his talent, he can go to UCLA and be a top 15 pick in 4 years.

Plus, his dad is an ex-athlete. This is kind of like the Kyle Long situation last year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)

Plus, his dad is an ex-athlete. This is kind of like the Kyle Long situation last year.

I think he wants to play pro and it won't be an overslot bonus. The guy was a pretty early pick. Danks got paid top 3 round money. Thompson went in the top 3 rounds and will get exactly that. Long was a much different story as he was drafted far later so the Sox were going to have to go well above slot to sign him. They still got close, reportedly, and I guarantee you that Long is regretting his decision to pass up on the Sox offer.

It sounds as if Thompson to the Sox is a relatively done deal.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I would assume that he'd want bonus money similar to a mid-late 1st round pick.

I'd say close to $700-800k minimum to an upwards amount of 1.25 mil.

Mid to late 1st rounders get a million plus. He will not sniff 7 figures or at least i wouldn't expect him to. He'll get very close to slot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Mid to late 1st rounders get a million plus. He will not sniff 7 figures or at least i wouldn't expect him to. He'll get very close to slot.

Danks got 500k in the seventh round.

I'd say that Thompson could get 800-900k as a 2nd rounder who doesn't have a brother in the franchise.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)

3 years, but I agree. Other than the reports we've read, it would sound like an issue. Still, the Sox probably figured they could sign him considering where they took him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
Still, the Sox probably figured they could sign him considering where they took him.

I think this is a lot like the Peavy scenario. KW, Laumann and Hahn agree on the pick and figure that they’re good enough negotiators to talk the kid into a deal.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
I'd love this draft if we go crazy and sign Goodwin and Dane Williams... not gonna happen, but signing them would be f***ing fantastic.

They'd have to offer Goodwin a lot, like probably late first money. Borass makes it even harder. Since the Sox aren't rumored to be going after anyone during the international signing period, I'd love to see them toss some big money at this kid.

Realistically, I hope the Sox make a positive impression on Goodwin and then three years from now he's an easier sign for us should we be in a position to draft him.

The Williams pick I'd be a lot more optimistic about.