Post Draft Thread

GoodAsGould

Just thought might be good to start an independent thread since the draft is all over so people can discuss what they thought of it as a whole, highlight the players that have the chance of being top prospects, and maybe can announce the signings of players if someone cares to make a post with a list of them all or edit it onto mine.

Honestly i really like what they did, now just sign the tough signs and add that depth, we've got a ton of money coming off the books next year there is no reason we can't stock up on talent. Also i really like the fact that they took high upside guys like Mitchell, Thompson and Goodwin, now just sign them.

From what I have read so far on who we picked, overall I think we did pretty well. But the signing phase is just as important, so we'll know more in a couple months how it really went.

We should probably have a new thread that shows all the draft picks, and updates their signing status.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
From what I have read so far on who we picked, overall I think we did pretty well. But the signing phase is just as important, so we'll know more in a couple months how it really went.

We should probably have a new thread that shows all the draft picks, and updates their signing status.

I like the new direction of more skills and less safe. We might have a bust or two down the road, but its better to find that one nuggest super talented guy than have 4 guys who were safe spending a few years in AAA because they can't make the jump. Emphasis needs to be placed on the signing phase. Also going overslot on some of the signability issue guys we picked up later. If they have the talent dangle the money and see if you can get them to jump. Rebuilding our minor leagues for our future is a key thing now.

I really liked the Phegley, Thompson, Holmberg, Goodwin, Buch, and Justin Jones picks. The Mitchell pick has really been starting to grow on me - I love his upside and tools. Depending on how many of the prep guys sign, we could be looking at a very talented draft class.

I'm in between on this draft... while we got a couple guys with high upside in Mitchell, Thompson, and Morgado, and what seems like a very solid but safe pick in Phegley, I'm not loving all of our other picks. It seems after the 1st day, we went with a lot of cheap and low upside guys (not saying that all of them are, but quite a few seem like that). However, if we pony up and sign Goodwin and Dane Williams, this draft automatically becomes a winner.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Anyone have a scouting report on Dane Williams, ive heard Bearsox mention him a couple times but dont know anything about him.

From what I've read, he was considered a top 2-4 round talent, but fell due to sign-ability concerns. From the video I saw, he seems to have a good projectable frame with a pretty lively fastball in the low 90's that will hopefully increase in velocity once he ages and fills out. Not much sure about anything else though.

Kyle bellamy was named a first team all american by baseball america.....

didn't realize he had 63 Ks and only a .147 BAA in 46 innings...

RP Kyle Bellamy

The sidewinding Bellamy ranks sixth in the nation in saves, but more impressive is how he carried Miami's inexperienced pitching staff, often working multiple innings to earn his saves. He shortened games like no other pitcher in the nation.

Also Bryan Smith at baseballprospectus was asked this....

Bryan Smith (9:49:46 AM PT): Favorite picks in Round 5:

Ryan Schimpf to the Blue Jays. They have some second base depth in their system, but Schimpf is a really good one. Sound defender that catches everything hit around him, and as a hitter, he doesn't have much in way of weaknesses.

Kyle Bellamy to the White Sox: Yeah, he's a middle reliever, but he's signable and he's death on right-handed hitters. I liked Drew O'Neil last year, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

btw Phegley was also a 3rd team all american

Edited by daa84

So the question that remains is, have the Sox budgeted for the tough sign picks like these two as well as 2nd rounder Trayce Thompson? They certainly seemed to make a lot of overdrafts in the earlier rounds, could that all have been a money saving ploy? We probably won’t find out the answers to these questions until the final hours of signing deadline day on August 17th, but whatever the outcome, these are certainly two very intriguing names to watch out for in the future.

After thinking about it, this is a really good strategy if we actually plan on really ponying up and signing at least one of Dane Williams or Brian Goodwin. We wait on HS players who fall because of sign-ability into the teens, draft players in the top 10 rounds who might be overdrafts but get them cheaper, and use the money we save and pay over-slot for the HS guys in the teens.

This way, you still get the HS guys later, but the overdrafts you get in the rounds 5-10 range are better then the overdrafts you'd likely get in the 10-20 range.

However, this is only if we were actually set on trying to sign this guys. If we were like, "Hey, lets take them for the hell of it", then no, most likely not a good strategy.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
They signed Danks and Upchurch last year so there is certainly hope.

My thoughts exactly. Upchurch was supposedly a pretty tough sign after we got him in the 12th round, but we got it done. I'm not sure Goodwin is going to happen, but for some reason I feel good about locking up Dane Williams.