black jack on white sox, beckham handling

chisox2334

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article...I just don't understand what Ozzie's beef is with Beckham. I understand that he's young and has all of these expectations and only a handful of minor league at bats, but give the guy a break. Can anyone shed some light on the real reason Ozzie doesn't like Beckham?

Is Blackjack really b****ing that Beckham sat twice? Once 2 days after he was called up with no sleep and the other a double header? Talk about jumping to conclusions. :huh

Ozzie must really hate Beckham.... is he serious? I've heard no negative comments coming from Ozzie on Saint Gordon. If anything Ozzie was actually kinda being sarcastic that everyone thought this call up would be the second coming of Longoria, except 10x better. Kinda of a mirrored opinion from McDowell.

QUOTE (RoyHobbs @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Great article...I just don't understand what Ozzie's beef is with Beckham. I understand that he's young and has all of these expectations and only a handful of minor league at bats, but give the guy a break. Can anyone shed some light on the real reason Ozzie doesn't like Beckham?

Anderson was also young, cocky or at least very confident, and given a job. Ozzie hasn't seemed to handle young position players well. Even TCQ got into the lineup due to injury. There is something there I don't completely understand. I don't know it is some sort of respect thing or macho thing. It could be a cultural or generational differences. Whatever it is, Ozzie will have to look in the mirror and ask himself why all of his young players seem to struggle. I think it will be something he will have to overcome to be a great manager.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Ozzie must really hate Beckham.... is he serious? I've heard no negative comments coming from Ozzie on Saint Gordon. If anything Ozzie was actually kinda being sarcastic that everyone thought this call up would be the second coming of Longoria, except 10x better. Kinda of a mirrored opinion from McDowell.

"He's very cocky."

'You guys [the media] do a pretty good PR department for Beckham,'' Guillen said. ''I've been in Chicago for 17 years, playing and coaching. Has anybody been 0-for-whatever he is, he hasn't got booed yet? He hit a ground ball to second base and got a standing ovation from the fans [the other day]. Somebody hit a ground ball right at him, and he got another standing ovation. Good job, guys. Keep it up. I hope he sells a lot of shirts, but I need production.''

I'm certainly not going to say Ozzie hates Beckham cause that's pretty ridiculous at this point but he certainly hasn't had one good thing to say about him since Spring Training.

To me the most interesting part was when he talked about how guys, no matter how cocky they are, have doubts as to whether they belong when they are called up. That alone tells me that you as the manager need to make them feel as welcomed as possible. And I have on good record that Ozzie didn't always do a good job of that (*cough*Brandon McCarthy*cough*). However, I had hoped he had improved and I'm going to have to hope he has and if he hasn't I'm confident that Kenny would than make the right decision and find a manager that works better with young players.

I can also point to pitchers that Ozzie has done a great job handling (Richard, Danks, Floyd, Garland)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
To me the most interesting part was when he talked about how guys, no matter how cocky they are, have doubts as to whether they belong when they are called up. That alone tells me that you as the manager need to make them feel as welcomed as possible. And I have on good record that Ozzie didn't always do a good job of that (*cough*Brandon McCarthy*cough*). However, I had hoped he had improved and I'm going to have to hope he has and if he hasn't I'm confident that Kenny would than make the right decision and find a manager that works better with young players.

I can also point to pitchers that Ozzie has done a great job handling (Richard, Danks, Floyd, Garland)

It really is bizarre though how different the treatment of that 4 you mention was compared to the treatment that Anderson/McCarthy got. Garland gets put out there and told to suck it up, work through your bad innings and see if you can become a good pitcher. Anderson in particular was on the bench in game 2 of the 2006 season and every time he was given a vote of confidence by anyone he was on the bench the next day.

It's like whatever attitude a person has, Ozzie has to do the exact opposite. If a person is a little scared, Ozzie insists they get over their fears. If a person is cocky, Ozzie puts them on the bench and screws with them until they're no longer cocky.

i think Beckham wasnt Ozzie's decision to call up, so that is a big part of why he has a grudge. if Beckham starts to do what we all know he can do, Ozzie will mellow out and warm up to him just like he did with Quentin last year

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
It's like whatever attitude a person has, Ozzie has to do the exact opposite. If a person is a little scared, Ozzie insists they get over their fears. If a person is cocky, Ozzie puts them on the bench and screws with them until they're no longer cocky.

Interesting point. Unfortunately, great players in any sport need to be cocky imo. So trying to scare that out of them isn't a good thing imo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
"He's very cocky."

'You guys [the media] do a pretty good PR department for Beckham,'' Guillen said. ''I've been in Chicago for 17 years, playing and coaching. Has anybody been 0-for-whatever he is, he hasn't got booed yet? He hit a ground ball to second base and got a standing ovation from the fans [the other day]. Somebody hit a ground ball right at him, and he got another standing ovation. Good job, guys. Keep it up. I hope he sells a lot of shirts, but I need production.''

I'm certainly not going to say Ozzie hates Beckham cause that's pretty ridiculous at this point but he certainly hasn't had one good thing to say about him since Spring Training.

Wow, I hadn't read that quote. That is downright awful. I don't know what the context is but the kid is a f***ing rookie. Making a statement like that does nothing good. Instead it tells the kid that he hasn't done s*** and that I'm not impressed. I certainly hope Ozzie has a different attitude behind closed doors.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
Wow, I hadn't read that quote. That is downright awful. I don't know what the context is but the kid is a f***ing rookie. Making a statement like that does nothing good. Instead it tells the kid that he hasn't done s*** and that I'm not impressed. I certainly hope Ozzie has a different attitude behind closed doors.

I have trouble buying Ozzie has a different behind-closed-doors attitude. You could take that quote and apply it to Anderson and it'd be exactly how he's treated him as well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Interesting point. Unfortunately, great players in any sport need to be cocky imo. So trying to scare that out of them isn't a good thing imo.

There's another problem with that attitude if it's actually real...the reason why beating the scaredy-ness out of Floyd and Garland worked is that it was teaching them to play over their mistakes, teaching them to step it up and be ready to bail other people out. That can be positive reinforcement.

If Ozzie's beating a kid down for being cocky, what happens in the kid's head when he makes a mistake? Suddenly he's looking over his shoulder wondering if he's going to be benched...he's not just trying to play the game and work over his mistakes, he's afraid to make them in the first place.

I agree with Black Jack 100%. Let Beckham take his bumps, let him develop a comfort level. He is the future, in fact is a huge piece of the next wave of up and coming young Sox stars. Fields is not part of our future nor should he be.

I'm a big fan of Ozzie, but he needs to learn how to handle his young players better. Next year when Viciedo and Jordan Danks come up, do us all a favor and take it easy on them.

what do you guys want Ozzie to do? He's played about everyday and is hitting under .100. Should Ozzie be praising him? He hasn't slammed him he just mentioned the fans infatuation with him. The " he's cocky" remark was meant in a good way. At least that's what they said on TV last week. He's said Beckham will continue and probably was harder on Fields than on anything he has said about Beckham. I don't get all the giddiness for Beckham either. He may turn out to be great but, so far, he has shown men nothing that makes me think he's anything special.

Ozzie cannot be upset in anyway about Beckham's performance so far...He is playin a good third base, albeit he is following mr. fields, but nonetheless he is very sure handed and more importantly, he is having good at-bats. The one thing I was impressed about with Beckham was his solid contact...he may be 2 for his last 24, but those are some solid hard hit balls. I don't think Ozzie will have an effect on Beckham at all, that cockiness and swagger will actually be something Ozzie will grow to love.

Edited by RoyHobbs

The swagger Beckham has is much needed cause our clubhouse and team leaders, aside from AJ and Buehrle, are very unemotional and un-inspiring on the field and in general are quiet guys. I also think that AJ and Buehrle have had a very large part on why our young pitchers have developed and improved and our young hitters haven't.

You might also bring the Coop vs Walker argument into the debate but I'd prefer to stay away from it since we are debating Ozzie here. Plus I think that topic has been absolutely killed.