Iranian Election Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
Well, see, they know that if they really start a revolution, the American military will come rolling in to help out! Which makes perfect sense because

1) We'd actually do that

2) They'd actually want foreign military intervention

It was really just someone trying to ad hoc justify the Iraq war still.

Um, that's stupid, if someone was trying to say that.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Well, see, they know that if they really start a revolution, the American military will come rolling in to help out! Which makes perfect sense because

1) We'd actually do that

2) They'd actually want foreign military intervention

It was really just someone trying to ad hoc justify the Iraq war still.

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that's what they were saying before I condemned it as the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :lolhitting

The comment I had in my mind when I was making that post was something along the lines of the protesters waiting to know that the protesters are waiting to know that America is on their side. Except... they... aren't. And it's not like we have a great history of doing that either, like when Bush 41 told the Shiites to rise up against Saddam and then up and left and let them get slaughtered. Whoops.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Of course not. I'm trying to do too much crap at once. Upgrade talkbears/bulls, get the new server, read StrangeSox Roberts debacle, and this. :unsure:

Did I say something? :lol:

I just lol'd. :lolhitting

We have a long history of f***ing with Iran's goverment. From the days of Mohammed Mosaddeq to the whole Iraq-Iran war / Iran contra mess. Maybe we should sit this one out. Since we don't have the best record with picking goverments over there.

If the people of Iran want to get rid of their theocracy, they will. Countries don't need the United States to always come and save them from themselves.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
We have a long history of f***ing with Iran's goverment. From the days of Mohammed Mosaddeq to the whole Iraq-Iran war / Iran contra mess. Maybe we should sit this one out. Since we don't have the best record with picking goverments over there.

If the people of Iran want to get rid of their theocracy, they will. Countries don't need the United States to always come and save them from themselves.

If they actually do start a revolution for real, and indications are that they are going to put up a new government and they'll want better relations with the West, THEN we can start picking sides, because it'll all appear legitimate.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
If they actually do start a revolution for real, and indications are that they are going to put up a new government and they'll want better relations with the West, THEN we can start picking sides, because it'll all appear legitimate.

The rally saturday will be a big one for Iran. I'm afraid it could get ugly.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)

Frankly, until we see the army actually turn on the government there's no reason for us to do anything. As long as Khamenei holds the trump card...killing an awful lot of people...in his pocket, then anything we do other than staying on the sidelines is counterproductive.

I read a really interesting article about how these deaths are really just going to keep the protests going. I guess Shiite muslims (the majority in Iran) observe mourning at different intervals, 3, 7, and 40 days (I think), so after 40 days the whole ordeal will be revived. I wish I remembered where I read this--but they said that this type of cyclical mourning was part of what fueled the 1979 revolution.

ETA: Found it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
The scariest thing to me is that Iran as a country does something stupid to try to legitimize the need for Ach to be at the top, and that is most likely trying to provoke a war with a "new" Hawk PM in Israel with Bibby back at the helm.

I think the struggle has more to do with internal pressures than external.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I think the struggle has more to do with internal pressures than external.

If they believe they can turn public opinion with a war against the country that achy has been saying he wanted to wipe off of the map, they will do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
If they believe they can turn public opinion with a war against the country that achy has been saying he wanted to wipe off of the map, they will do it.

I don't think so. I think that M.A. is pretty far off from the iranian public and I doubt they would support a war with Israel at this point. I mean, right now the Iranians are basically calling bulls***, and I think they would continue to call bulls*** if a war with Israel started up.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
I don't think so. I think that M.A. is pretty far off from the iranian public and I doubt they would support a war with Israel at this point. I mean, right now the Iranians are basically calling bulls***, and I think they would continue to call bulls*** if a war with Israel started up.

Not if they could entice Israel in to striking first.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)

Huh? How would they do that? The rug is kind of pulled out from under them right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
By tricking them into believing they have a nuclear weapon... Or even buying one from a cash starved NK? Its not a big leap of faith IMO.

Truth be told, they got the idea from a Steven Seagal movie.