Dayan's Career Offense

Marky Mark

Viciedo Can be compared to...  

65 members have voted

1. 1. In the peak of his career, who do you think Dayan Viciedo's offense will be compared to?

• Juan Uribe - Some pop, bad average, bad contact, bad walk rate
    • Adrian Beltre - Decent pop, moderate average, low-moderate walk rate
    • Howie Kendrick - Hits for great average, zero pop, does not really ever walk
    • Sammy Sosa - Major pop, hits above average, pretty good walk rate
    • Andruw Jones - Great pop, can't hit for much average, moderate to good walk rates
    • Miggy Cabrera - Good pop, batting title candidate, moderate to good walk rates
    • He will not have a major league career
    • None of these

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
I'm not sure Cook would be any worse than Wise. Seems to have better OBP skills and power than Wise. Like you said, he's probably a 4th-5th OFer and suffers since all the Sox starters in the OF are righties except Pods.

Exactly, Cook >>>>> Wise.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm not going to write off David Cook until he gets a shot. He'd be much more productive than Dewayne Wise. I wouldn't consider 12 HR and 40 RBI "not hitting."

He's doing those numbers as a 27-year-old in AA. The power is fine, but he also is hitting .247. Sure he could be better than Wise, but Wise isn't an ML player either. Guys who hit .247 in AA simply can't just come up the majors and produce unless they are relatively young for the level with lots of improvement left. He is also repeating a league, which should have improved his numbers not made him worse. I love hyping our Sox prospects and think some are pretty damn good, but he is nothing but organizational fodder, that's the truth.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
He's doing those numbers as a 27-year-old in AA. The power is fine, but he also is hitting .247. Sure he could be better than Wise, but Wise isn't an ML player either. Guys who hit .247 in AA simply can't just come up the majors and produce unless they are relatively young for the level with lots of improvement left. He is also repeating a league, which should have improved his numbers not made him worse. I love hyping our Sox prospects and think some are pretty damn good, but he is nothing but organizational fodder, that's the truth.

I'd just like to see him get a chance.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
How's his defense behind the plate and attempts at hitting offspeed pitches?

Defense is adequate enough. When he makes contact, children should cover their eyes, it's scary.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)
He's been decent batting average-wise. I'd bring him up to Charlotte in July.

Average is such a volatile statistic though making it fairly worthless as an evaluation tool, stats such as IsoP and IsoD are far better indicators of future success, and as it turns out, Flowers is excelling in those areas. Flowers is easily our 2nd best prospect and if you believe he's a catcher then he's right up there with Beckham for #1 prospect status, his offensive skill set is just that good.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
Defense is adequate enough. When he makes contact, children should cover their eyes, it's scary.

I would agree with this, when i seen him in West Tenn i thought he received the ball very well and blocked nicely, i didnt get a chance to see his arm though, but after living with AJ for the past 4 years i don't think anyone would complain. and yes when he hits the ball he drills it. Once again this is only my opinion after watching him for 9innings, but i made sure to make a focus on it.

why does anyone believe that viciedo will have a moderate to good walk rate like andruw jones? he has 8 walks in 233 ABs and only 14 extra base hits....he has a .669 OPS...i know hes very young and raw and theres some more projectability there but if you ask me im considerably less excited about him than most here

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
why does anyone believe that viciedo will have a moderate to good walk rate like andruw jones? he has 8 walks in 233 ABs and only 14 extra base hits....he has a .669 OPS...i know hes very young and raw and theres some more projectability there but if you ask me im considerably less excited about him than most here

You really just have to keep in my mind what you already said: his age. Look at some of the stars of baseball and what they did as 20-year olds and you will see similar numbers. Mind you, he is also in AA, which most 20-year-olds haven't seen at their age. It's all about experience. You will see improvement every year with him.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
Viciedo has been adjusting quickly month-by-month

April: .221/.232/.286 BB%= 2.4% K%= 24.4%

May: .293/.314/.397 BB%= 2.5% K%= 19.0%

June: .311/.347/.400 BB%= 6.1% K%= 6.1%

That's a good stat to see. He is adjusting.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 07:19 AM)
Viciedo has been adjusting quickly month-by-month

April: .221/.232/.286 BB%= 2.4% K%= 24.4%

May: .293/.314/.397 BB%= 2.5% K%= 19.0%

June: .311/.347/.400 BB%= 6.1% K%= 6.1%

Which is exactly what we needed to see from him. Now, we need to start seeing the power numbers.