More Cuban talent available...

JPN366

Here's some good info on them

Arguelles and Iglesias both have long track records of competing in international tournaments and that has teams more comfortable with their ages than previous Cuban defectors. Despite the long-term familiarity clubs have with them, there are still whispers about both Iglesias and Arguelles being older than their stated ages of 19. A Torres client who lacked a long international track record, CF Felix Perez, had a contract with the Yankees, including a bonus of over $3 million, voided after it was revealed that he was in fact 4-5 years older than the 20-year-old he claimed to be. Perez was suspended for one year and that will presumably be the punishment if Arguelles or Iglesias falsify their ages.

Arguelles is considered a better prospect than Iglesias, as a left hander standing 6’3, tipping the scales at 210 lbs., and hitting 93 mph with his fastball. Arguelles has a solid curveball, changeup, and command, along with a recently-added slider that some scouts say has quickly become his best off-speed pitch. Some scouts saw him sitting at 88 mph recently and said Arguelles was out of shape, but other clubs have recently watched him hit 91 mph and say his body isn’t a big concern. Every team I’ve spoken with is comfortable with his talent, given his consistent international performances. Executives agree that Arguelles would have been a late first rounder or sandwich pick in the recent draft, if he entered the draft rather than become a free agent.

Iglesias has a similarly strong tournament record, drawing attention for his flashy glovework at shortstop, with one scout grading his fielding as an 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale. His arm is enough to stick at shortstop, but his range is somewhat limited by his fringe-average speed. Iglesias makes the most of his ability, with instincts that enhance his tools and excellent makeup. He bats from the right side and while his overall offensive package leaves a bit to be desired, most scouts agree Iglesias will hit enough to allow him to profile as a big league regular. He has decent pop in his 5’10 frame, at a maxed-out 180 lbs., though he can get pull-happy at times. An international scouting director called Iglesias’ total package, “Ryan Theriot with better hands.” Iglesias is a defensive-oriented overachiever and executives say he would be more of a 2nd-3rd rounder if eligible for the recent draft.

A number of teams are interested in Arguelles and Iglesias, but one team is mentioned by every international source I’ve spoken with: the Yankees. Seemingly since the players defected, nearly a year ago while at a Canadian tournament, the players have been tied to the Yankees and many believe they will both end up signing with the Bombers. It won’t be easy for the Yankees, though; expect the other big market clubs and organizations with active Latin operations to enter the fray as well. It’s too early to handicap all the teams that could be involved, but the Cubs are one team that has been mentioned as heavily interested in Iglesias. As a potential late first round pick (if subject to the recent draft), Arguelles would command a bonus of about $1.0-1.3 million, while Iglesias’ 2nd-3rd round projection correlates to a $500,000-$750,000 potential bonus. That being said, Cuban players tend to have their own pay scale, independent of 16-year-old international free agents or domestic draftees, due to the amount of high-level game experience and the refinement most defectors possess. Some sources have suggested the ultimate pay days for these players could be twice or even three times the slot bonuses I’ve suggested.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
Where you at Cubano?? What's the story on these two?

Iglesias was the 2B for the Cuban Junior team. He played SS for the current Cuban Champ Habana Cowboys. He had to play 2B because Santiago de Cuba Wasps prospect Adeiny Echevarria played SS. I think he can make it to the big leagues. Rey Ordonez made to the Mets despite being a bad hitter in Cuba. Iglesias hit more than Ordonez back home.

Arguelles is tall and has long arms. He needed to gain 15 pounds since I last saw him in Cuba. I doubt the Sox have the money to sign him. My guess is that he sign with a big market club. I wish he does not sign with the Yanks but the $$$$ calls you got to do what you have to do.