LSU (Jared Mitchell) playing now on ESPN.

Heads22

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
Batting 7th(?) and in RF.

Yeah, that's where he's been batting all year if I'm not mistaken. Seems a little odd that their highest draft pick hits so low, but if they're winning, I guess that's all that matters as far as LSU is concerned.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Yeah, that's where he's been batting all year if I'm not mistaken. Seems a little odd that their highest draft pick hits so low, but if they're winning, I guess that's all that matters as far as LSU is concerned.

He's batted leadoff, not just at the bottom of the order. Against a tough lefty on the mound he may bat lower

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
He's batted leadoff, not just at the bottom of the order. Against a tough lefty on the mound he may bat lower

I stand corrected. I guess I should have looked that up before taking another person's word for it (in another thread somewhere). He was the leadoff hitter in 21 games this year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
I didn't see it... but from Dam's descriptions, that certainly sounds like a guy looking to walk rather than a guy looking to hit.

That's been the biggest knock on him. Something that can hopefully be adjusted. We all know this is a different type of pick than the player we watched in last year's CWS.

Edited by fathom

If a kid goes up looking for a walk and gets it, I can't complain. Complacency can't be punished when it produces results. If the kid goes down looking on that fastball... hell yeah, I’d be pissed, but still he took the best pitch of the at bat for a strike and then laid off the crap.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
The kid wanted to get on base. He got on base. What's the problem?

A little more aggressiveness on a center cut fastball would be nice. Honestly the rest of the pitches I don't really blame him for taking.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
If a kid goes up looking for a walk and gets it, I can't complain. Complacency can't be punished when it produces results. If the kid goes down looking on that fastball... hell yeah, I'd be pissed, but still he took the best pitch of the at bat for a strike and then laid off the crap.

If you go up there looking to walk rather than hit, you won't last long. There's nothing wrong with getting walks, but that is a god awful approach at bat.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
If you go up there looking to walk rather than hit, you won't last long. There's nothing wrong with getting walks, but that is a god awful approach at bat.

In the plate appearance in question, Jared Mitchell saw one good pitch and took it. He was clearly looking to get on base. Had he had a few more strikes on him, i'm sure he would of swung away, but in this sitiuation he was well in his right to take the walk. Also, it's never a bad idea to take a few pitches and seek a walk. It should never be a hitter's priority, but you take what the pitcher gives you.