LSU (Jared Mitchell) playing now on ESPN.

Heads22

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
In the plate appearance in question, Jared Mitchell saw one good pitch and took it. He was clearly looking to get on base. Had he had a few more strikes on him, i'm sure he would of swung away, but in this sitiuation he was well in his right to take the walk. Also, it's never a bad idea to take a few pitches and seek a walk. It should never be a hitter's priority, but you take what the pitcher gives you.

From what I've read, and by looking at his stats, this is far from a one time occurence.

Besides, from what Dam said, he took a fastball right down the middle in a hitter count. I'm sorry, but was he really not looking fastball over the plate in that situation? There's nothing wrong with being patient, but you gotta be aggressive as well.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
From what I've read, and by looking at his stats, this is far from a one time occurence.

Besides, from what Dam said, he took a fastball right down the middle in a hitter count. I'm sorry, but was he really not looking fastball over the plate in that situation? There's nothing wrong with being patient, but you gotta be aggressive as well.

Looking at his stats then comparing them against one at bat. Pretty quality insight of what the player could be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Looking at his stats then comparing them against one at bat. Pretty quality insight of what the player could be.

Looking at stats, the account of this AB, and from what I've read via scouting reports and such... yeah, I'd say it's a safe assumption that he has a tendency to look for the walk instead of hitting the ball.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
Opposite field hit! It's a single, an RBI, and a 2 base error, as Mitchell goes all the way from first to third on a throwing error. 3-4 2 2B, RBI on the night.

That opposite field single was a beautiful at bat and wow could he run. He ended up on 3rd base on a single due to an over throw by the outfielder.

Got done watching the taped game. Mitchell looked very good. Smooth on the bases, seemed effortless even though he was burning. He's got a great eye at the plate, even though his swing will need some work. He might need 2 full years in the minors. But when he comes, he has the chance to be special. Looks like Carl Crawford with a better OBP. Don't know what his glove looks like. But looks like he has all the tools on offense.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Looking at stats, the account of this AB, and from what I've read via scouting reports and such... yeah, I'd say it's a safe assumption that he has a tendency to look for the walk instead of hitting the ball.

Which is fine if he draws the walks. If he is up there looking at strike three all of the time there is a problem.

There is nothing wrong with going up to bat looking for a walk and then swinging late in the count. Bobby Abreu and rickey henderson made careers out of it.

With his speed that is exactly what he should do.