LSU (Jared Mitchell) playing now on ESPN.

Heads22

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)
But he looks to take too many walks which with his speed is bulls***. He needs to over swing as the ball flies out of the cell for the 25 hot games in which they play there.

A guy with speed taking too many walks is a bad thing? If he's taking the walks but not striking out a ton then that means he's getting on base. That's when a speedster should be going to town.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
A guy with speed taking too many walks is a bad thing? If he's taking the walks but not striking out a ton then that means he's getting on base. That's when a speedster should be going to town.

I think he was trying to explain Greg Walker's hitting philosophy....

Some observations about Mitchell:

- he's not nearly as much of a slap hitter as I had feared. He has a compact swing and gets good lift on the ball.

- his contact rate was pretty good. With all of his strike outs, I thought he'd be a free swinger who couldn't recognize offspeed pitches. He must have K'd looking an awful lot.

- didn't see enough of his defense to make any judgments.

- he has a swagger to him that you love to see. I guarantee that if he was picked by someone else, there would have been people on here wishing we would have picked him.

- the last two years of the CWS have been awesome for us Sox fans. Basically the two biggest stars of the past two years have been Beckham and Mitchell.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)

- he's not nearly as much of a slap hitter as I had feared. He has a compact swing and gets good lift on the ball.

- his contact rate was pretty good. With all of his strike outs, I thought he'd be a free swinger who couldn't recognize offspeed pitches. He must have K'd looking an awful lot.

- he has a swagger to him that you love to see. I guarantee that if he was picked by someone else, there would have been people on here wishing we would have picked him.

- the last two years of the CWS have been awesome for us Sox fans. Basically the two biggest stars of the past two years have been Beckham and Mitchell.

I'd like to add to that.

His power to left and left center is big time.

But his pull hitting needs some mechanical work.

His eye for the strike zone is pretty developed for a part time baseball player.

His speed is beyond game changing, he is one of those players we hate to face.

His defense in the corners is good, but I dont think he will ever be a CF'er which is ok if he develops good enough power for the corners.

Also pretty much every announcer, expert, player, coach seems to think the kid is ridiculous, which is nice to see.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)

Simply put, we got a steal. I know I was hesitant to draft him, then when we did, I was disappointed. I heard some JO comparisons and that made me dislike him, but after watching him, there is no comparison. Mitchell has got great power, he hits the ball far on weak swings. He just is jacked with strong, quick wrists. His speed is better than Owens and he walks a ton. He can be a dynamic player for the Sox. The Crawford comparisons are good, but he can be better than Carl. Both have similar speed, but Mitchell should be able to hit for way more power than CC and walk a ton more. I love the pick now after actually seeing him play. I really think he can be a 30/30 guy in his prime who also has a +.400 OBP. He seems to have a great attitude and seems like a good clubhouse guy, just based off the jokes he told during the CWS. He also is not even that raw, I can't imagine what he will be like in three years after devoting it all to baseball. I would have picked him in the top ten in this draft after seeing him play. He is that good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
I'd like to add to that.

His power to left and left center is big time.

But his pull hitting needs some mechanical work.

His eye for the strike zone is pretty developed for a part time baseball player.

His speed is beyond game changing, he is one of those players we hate to face.

His defense in the corners is good, but I dont think he will ever be a CF'er which is ok if he develops good enough power for the corners.

Also pretty much every announcer, expert, player, coach seems to think the kid is ridiculous, which is nice to see.

I came away extremely impressed as well. The guy is a specimen, and he play with great confidence as you said.

Does his performance/MVP award now make him more expensive or tougher to sign? Get this guy in Rookie ball ASAP, I wanna see how fast he adapts to pro ball.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
I came away extremely impressed as well. The guy is a specimen, and he play with great confidence as you said.

Does his performance/MVP award now make him more expensive or tougher to sign? Get this guy in Rookie ball ASAP, I wanna see how fast he adapts to pro ball.

It gives him a lot more leverage. If he came back into the draft he might very well be a top 10 pick which would command a much higher bonus. I expect him to get over slot money now. Not a whole lot over though. He clearly wants to play in the pro's and what better way to go out than as a champion.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Simply put, we got a steal. I know I was hesitant to draft him, then when we did, I was disappointed. I heard some JO comparisons and that made me dislike him, but after watching him, there is no comparison. Mitchell has got great power, he hits the ball far on weak swings. He just is jacked with strong, quick wrists. His speed is better than Owens and he walks a ton. He can be a dynamic player for the Sox. The Crawford comparisons are good, but he can be better than Carl. Both have similar speed, but Mitchell should be able to hit for way more power than CC and walk a ton more. I love the pick now after actually seeing him play. I really think he can be a 30/30 guy in his prime who also has a +.400 OBP. He seems to have a great attitude and seems like a good clubhouse guy, just based off the jokes he told during the CWS. He also is not even that raw, I can't imagine what he will be like in three years after devoting it all to baseball. I would have picked him in the top ten in this draft after seeing him play. He is that good.

I don't think he has 30 home run power. If he can get up to 15 homers, that would be a real plus. Remember that with a wooden bat, he'll likely struggle hitting opposite field homers. I didn't see him try to bunt during the CWS, and he actually seemed to not want to steal when he got on.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
I don't think he has 30 home run power. If he can get up to 15 homers, that would be a real plus. Remember that with a wooden bat, he'll likely struggle hitting opposite field homers. I didn't see him try to bunt during the CWS, and he actually seemed to not want to steal when he got on.

I keep wondering whether we'll be able to keep Podsednik as a stolen base coach after his legs finally give out. He's not that fast any more and it kills him on the basepaths this year, but he knows when to run and he has the technique down pat. He'd be an ideal guy to have working with people who have speed but need to develop stolen base skill (Owens, Mitchell, perhaps D2: the Mighty Danks)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
I keep wondering whether we'll be able to keep Podsednik as a stolen base coach after his legs finally give out. He's not that fast any more and it kills him on the basepaths this year, but he knows when to run and he has the technique down pat. He'd be an ideal guy to have working with people who have speed but need to develop stolen base skill (Owens, Mitchell, perhaps D2: the Mighty Danks)

Not to turn this into our weekly coach bashing thread, but as long as it's not who is currently teaching players on the Sox, that would be fine. We are giving up way too many outs with our predictable base running (2 out and runner on 1st).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)

When would you say Podsednik lost his speed? Because all of his stolen bases since 2004 have come at a net loss for his teams, his SB%'s are terrible.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
When would you say Podsednik lost his speed? Because all of his stolen bases since 2004 have come at a net loss for his teams, his SB%'s are terrible.

It's just obvious when you watch him run compared to how he was in early 2005. That mid-2005 hamstring injury really started him losing several steps. Prior to that injury his 2005 SB numbers were great; he had a string of like 24 in a row without being thrown out, and that was while everyone knew he was running.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

He's still plenty fast. Obviously not as fast as he was in 05 (before that Hammy injury, he could tell you when and give the catcher a head start, but he'd still be safe, I still remember that game in Toronto when he got the 4 steals), but he's still got a lot of speed. However, maybe it's because of the overall lack of speed on this team that makes him look faster than maybe he actually is.

The surprising thing about him was not until recently, his technique on the bases was pretty bad this year.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
Little late to the party, but our boy was named MOP of the CWS. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=sihpT1

"If there's a better way [to end a career]," he said, "write the story for me."

Thats all I needed to see, I think Mitchell is signing barring some huge debacle.. which there shouldn't be.

I got this off LSU.Net. I also asked a nepherw of mine who lives in Baton Rouge and attended LSU about what he knew about Mitchell. The main think he brings up is the two sport athlete with blazing speed

Baseball ROSTER 1997-981998-991999-002000-012001-022002-032003-042004-052005-062006-072007-082008-092009-102010-112011-12

Courtesy: www.LSUsports.net

http://www.LSUsports.net

Jared Mitchell

POSITION: Outfield

BATS/THROWS: L/L

HEIGHT: 6-0

WEIGHT: 192

CLASS: Junior

EXPERIENCE: 2L

HIGH SCHOOL: Westgate HS

HOMETOWN: New Iberia, La. Updated 12/10/2008

MULTIMEDIA

Les Miles Comments on Jared Mitchell

Jared Mitchell's Game-Ending Catch at Arkansas

Jared Mitchell - LSU Football Signee Highlight Video

2008 NCAA Regional All-Tournament Team

2008 Second-Team All-Louisiana

SEC Freshman of the Week (Feb. 26, 2007)

MLB Draft: 10th Round in 2006 (Minnesota)

One of the top-rated baseball prospects in the country who enters his third season as a starting outfielder for the Tigers ... a two-sport athlete as an outfielder on the LSU baseball team and a wide receiver on the Tigers football squad ... caught 13 passes for 143 yards during the 2007 football season as LSU captured the SEC and BCS titles ...caught seven passes for 87 yards during the 2008 football season ... turned down a significant offer from the Minnesota Twins to attend LSU after being selected by the club in the 10th round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft ... tabbed by Baseball America as the No. 3 high school athlete for 2006 ... the publication also ranked him the 43rd-best overall high school baseball prospect in the nation for 2006 ... has outstanding speed and defensive tools ... quick bat and can drive the ball to all fields.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2008)

Played in 52 games (42 starts), batting .297 (52-for-175) with 10 doubles, one triple, six homers, 29 RBI, 44 runs and 16 steals ... started 24 games in left field, 15 games in center field and three games at DH ... batted .365 (19-for-52) in SEC regular-season games with five doubles, four homers, 13 RBI, 16 runs and four steals ... 2-for-12 at the College World Series with three runs, including the game-winning run in the Tigers’ 6-5 victory over Rice (June 17 ... hit .429 (6-for-14) in Super Regional vs. UC Irvine with 1 HR, 3 RBI, 3 runs ... 4-for-14 in the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional, earning all-tournament honors as he collected one double, three RBI and three runs ... batted .336 (38-for-113) during LSU’s final 29 games with nine doubles, one triple, five homers, 22 RBI, 31 runs and 11 stolen bases ... scored from second base on a Matt Clark sacrifice fly at Auburn on May 17 ... delivered an inside-the-park home run on March 8 in the first game of a doubleheader versus Stetson -- the homer, a two-run dinger, was the first inside-the-park blast by an LSU player since Cedrick Harris hit one versus Nicholls State on March 17, 1999 in Alex Box Stadium ... 3-for-4 with a homer, three RBI and three runs versus South Carolina (April 25) ... 4-for-5 with one homer, one double, three RBI and four runs versus Mississippi State (May 9) ... 3-for-5 with three RBI and two runs versus Texas Southern in NCAA Baton Rouge Regional (May 30).

FRESHMAN SEASON (2007)

Started 55 games for LSU in center field, batting .258 (54-for-209) with eight doubles, one triple, three homers, 41 runs, 21 RBI and 18 stolen bases ... rated No. 6 in the SEC in steals ... made a spectacular game-ending catch in center field to preserve LSU's 5-3 win at Arkansas on May 6; he leaped and caught a fly ball at the top of the wall that would have tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning ... named SEC Freshman of the Week on Feb. 26 as he hit .462 (6-for-13) in three games with one double, one homer, three RBI and four runs to lead LSU to a series victory over Central Florida . . . including the Tigers' victory over Northwestern State on Feb. 21, Mitchell batted .471 (8-for-17) in four games that week with one double, one homer, five runs and three RBI ...

HIGH SCHOOL

A prolific outfielder and wide receiver at Westgate High School ... named the Louisiana High School Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior after batting .506 with six homers and 31 RBI ... swiped 29 bases in 30 attempts ... named the MVP of the BEST World Championships in Fort Myers, Fla. ... a first-team all-state and all-district selection sophomore through senior years ... voted a 2006 Sony Playstation All-American ... selected to the all-tournament team for the Perfect Game World Wooden Bat Championship in Marietta, Ga. ... invited to the 2005 AFLAC All-American High School Baseball Classic in Aberdeen, Md. ... a five-star athlete in football who was a dual-threat quarterback ... named the 2005 Class 5A Offensive MVP after passing for 1,720 yards and 10 touchdowns and rushing for 834 yards and 12 touchdowns ... maintained a 3.3 GPA.

PERSONAL

Full name is Jared Christopher Mitchell ... parents are Craig and Debra Mitchell ... has one brother, Derek ... says the most famous person he has met is Atlanta Braves all-star Andruw Jones ... majoring in general studies with concentrations in business administration, communication studies and sociology ... born October 13, 1988.

Mitchell’s LSU Career Highs

At-Bats: 6 twice; last vs. Alabama (5/24/08)

Hits: 4 twice; last vs. Mississippi State (5/9/08)

Runs Scored: 4 vs. Mississippi State (5/9/08)

Doubles: 2 at Auburn (5/15/08)

Triples: 1 twice; last at Tulane (4/22/08)

Home Runs: 1 several times; last vs. UC Irvine (6/8/08)

RBI: 3 four times; last vs. Texas Southern (5/30/08)

Stolen Bases: 2 five times; last vs. Michigan State (3/5/08)